First smart phone, HTC Hero w/Google

InsanePerson

Limp Gawd
So first off I'm stuck on Sprint.
Currently have a Samsung A640, been wanting a smart phone for a long while, wanted an iphone but cant switch to AT&T, dont want to deal with making it work on a different network.
So I head out to Sprint.com and bam, theres a banner for HTC Hero w/ Google, not available till Oct 11th, but has anyone looked into this phone yet? I was rather impressed with the product tour and videos on HTC's website
http://www.htc.com/www/product/hero/overview.html

Yes I have been watching it for a while. I plan on selling my iPhone to fund it. Here are some impressive reviews.
BTW, the iPhone is nice but AT&T has terrible 3g service. I know they are making upgrades and improvements but it's still less than stellar.
Phonedog
Phandroid
Leakdroid

Those are just a few videos/review, there are tons just search youtube.

Count me as another iPhone customer who's very strongly considering a move to the Hero. I love the iPhone, but hate the restrictions Apple introduced with the 3.1 software update. :mad:

First off, Insane, you can't make the iPhone work on Sprint, it won't happen. And also, you don't want to switch, trust me. I left Sprint after 10 years (and 2 of employment) in July for the iPhone,a nd I'm coming right back for the Hero or InstinctQ.

I'm another iphone user who is going to get something different. I think the palm pre has better multitasking then the htc hero because the pre can multitask any app, the hero can only multi task widgets. the hero is also limited to 7 screens, the pre is only limited by hardware, which maxes out around 10-15 apps running at the same time.

First off, Insane, you can't make the iPhone work on Sprint, it won't happen. And also, you don't want to switch, trust me. I left Sprint after 10 years (and 2 of employment) in July for the iPhone,a nd I'm coming right back for the Hero or InstinctQ.

I just got my girlfriend (and her family) to switch from ATT to Sprint, and even with a normal dumbphone, she thinks its "night and day" better

My girlfriend, who had T-Mobile before I met her, and loved the Centro I got her. When we went to AT&T, she never complained about her Impression, but when I mentioned going back to Sprint, her exact reaction was "thank god!" She's gunning for either the Pixi or the InstinctQ, I'm debating on the Hero or the Q.

I'm another iphone user who is going to get something different. I think the palm pre has better multitasking then the htc hero because the pre can multitask any app, the hero can only multi task widgets. the hero is also limited to 7 screens, the pre is only limited by hardware, which maxes out around 10-15 apps running at the same time.

I'm the same way. The iPhone really is a pretty good phone but I'm looking for something more robust plus I get bored easily anyway. Moving to Sprint really isn't an option right now since 3G in my area is fine for AT&T. Windows Mobile still has a long ways to go so that's out. At&T hasn't announced any Android phones yet though and I'd really like to try one out.

I'm probably going to get a hero on the 11th as well. This will be my first smartphone. I was with sprint from 2001-2005 and found that the phone had much to do with good reception. I hope the hero has good reception and call quality like the sanyo I had. Since 2005 I've been with AT&T and their coverage is pretty good and I don't really have any complaints outside of some billing mistakes which they ended up correcting, and that their data+text rates are WAY high ($50/mo for data+texting????!!!!! Yeah right). Sprint offers unlimited data+texting, plus unlimited calls to mobiles of any carrier, for $70/mo (450 minutes for other calls). Hard to beat that. Plus I am hearing that they roam to Verizon so I hope I don't have coverage problems. My only concern atm is that if I do roam to Verizon, do I still get all the features/functionality/rates as I do when not roaming.

For whatever its worth, Phonedog brings this up and goes as far as to say he likes the Sprint version better in some ways
I just saw that. Didn't know it was a metal casing. Very cool and $70 for the plan I'd get is unbelievable. That's over $30 cheaper than what I'm paying now. Are there any internet radio apps for Android? I haven't found any, yet. I use internet radio all the time with my iPhone.

Android (Hero) can multitask any app just like WebOS (Pre), I do believe. Also, 7 screens is not the same as 10-15 apps. When people say the Hero only has 7 screens, they mean you can only use 7 home screens.

The way Android works is there are a multitude of home screens so that you can organize things, so you can have one home screen that has all of your messaging apps on it, and another that has all your game apps, and another with music apps and so on. But that's not to say you can't run all those apps at the same time, you just keep the icons on separate home screens (if you want to that is).

Just to reiterate, Android does not have a set multitasking app limit, it is limited by hardware just like the Pre. Android does have a set number of home screens (depending on manufactor) that you can use, but home screens do not equal apps.

Regards to Verizon roaming... I believe just about everything should work as if it's on Sprint. I have a older Samsung that I jump onto Verizon once in a while but my phone's roaming profile can't be updated to handle data roaming so I can't comment on how it all works but data roaming is allowed with Sprint.

The more I watch those reviews, the more I really like the Hero. :)

I'm with Wolf here, I really want this phone and the more I watch the more awesome it seems.

Sad thing is, it launches on the 11th, on that particular day I will be starting my relocation from Twin Falls, ID to OKC, OK. Leaving at 4am... two day drive
Would have liked to have this phone prior to that trip, but oh well I'll have to settle for once I get settled in my new home.

I just saw that. Didn't know it was a metal casing. Very cool and $70 for the plan I'd get is unbelievable. That's over $30 cheaper than what I'm paying now. Are there any internet radio apps for Android? I haven't found any, yet. I use internet radio all the time with my iPhone.

There is a pandora app for free in the market that you should be able to get.

I myself am really leaning towards the hero, after reading how unremarkable the Moment is, granted yes it's got the 800MHz processor and the optical trackpad that got mixed reviews, I'm more attracted by the SenseUI and the HTC keyboard. Plus i'm not too fond of the layout of the keyboard on the moment and how the phone reminds me too much of my G1. Also hoping the Hero ships with Donut 1.6

I don't want to wait for the moment myself. I've never had a smartphone and wanted one since like 2001 when I say a compaq PDA that had a usb port that could plug into an ethernet port to do network testing. This sunday, I am buying a hero. If something better comes out that I want more, I'll return the hero if in first 30 days, or cancel contract and pay early cancellation fee and sell phone if after 30 days and get the one I want more. Will probably end up being the HTC Dragon if it is true, runs android, and on a carrier I like.

Damn, that HTC Dragon looks great! I didn't know about it before now.

Yeah pretty exciting. Just a rumor atm but not really hard to believe considering the HTC HD2 is official now and scheduled for Nov release in Spain.

-Hopes dragon makes it to the US, and soon-

I'm picking up the Hero tomorrow morning at Best Buy. I'm pretty excited about it.

And yes the iPhone will not work on Sprint. Different technology (GSM vs CDMA). It's physically impossible for the iPhone to work on Sprint.

I would also like to know if the brand new Sprint Hero ships with the new 1.6 update "Donut" ?

I would also like to know if the brand new Sprint Hero ships with the new 1.6 update "Donut" ?

It does not, but it will be coming as soon as HTC finishes working on it.

From what I understand, HTC has already spent some time optimizing 1.5 (to the degree that people actually using the device weren't sure if it was 1.6 or not) and the OS on the Hero is somewhere between traditional 1.5 and 1.6 in terms of speed and responsiveness.

I spoke with Best Buy today and my phone will be ready for me in the morning! I'm not thrilled about the CPU in the phone but love Sense UI. The physical keyboard isn't something I look for either so the new Samsung Momentum doesn't look to appealing to me.
I'll test out the coverage and if everything is adequate I'll kill my iPhone plan, wipe it and sell it. It's an unlockable, jailbroken 3gs so it'll pull in good money to cover my cost. That's actually the reason I got it in the first place. A co-worker purchased my 3g for $400, I got the 3gs for $426 and was holding on till the Hero was released in the US.

My biggest question having never been on the Sprint network, how is the service and coverage in Chicago ?

Thought they weren't going to be available until the 11th? Are you telling me I can go to best buy tomorrow and have a hero?

My biggest question having never been on the Sprint network, how is the service and coverage in Chicago ?

I've been in and around Chicago, but not much. I've been all over the country and the service is generally great in urban areas and all-or-nothing in more rural ones.

However, now that all Everything plans include free roaming on Verizon, I have yet to find anywhere without a signal.

It does not, but it will be coming as soon as HTC finishes working on it.

From what I understand, HTC has already spent some time optimizing 1.5 (to the degree that people actually using the device weren't sure if it was 1.6 or not) and the OS on the Hero is somewhere between traditional 1.5 and 1.6 in terms of speed and responsiveness.

Videos I've seen put it at about iPhone 3g speed, which was fine for me to be honest. HTC did make some additions to 1.5 that will be seen in 1.6 like the addition of CDMA support.

Thought they weren't going to be available until the 11th? Are you telling me I can go to best buy tomorrow and have a hero?

It's a bit of a complicated issue.

Initially, Best Buy was going to give special vouchers to Reward Zone members who preordered early via snail mail to pick theirs up on the 9th. Then they sorta half-scrapped that and now the word is that any RZ members who preordered can pick theirs up tomorrow morning without the special coupon.

I preordered mine last night and the guy gave me a photocopied version of the coupon from a stack behind the counter. He wrote my name on it and said I could come in on Friday morning and get it.

Not sure if you'll still be able to do that, but I suspect so.

As it's been said, reward zone members are eligible to pickup the Hero with or without the coupon but must show proof that they are a member and pre-ordered the phone.
I pre-ordered on Sept 13th or something like that. I don't have a coupon, but they said as long they can see me in the system as a RZ member I can pick up the phone. I was told by the manager tonight "come hell or high water you'll have a phone tomorrow". Good thing because flood waters are here right now.

I am a reward zone member but I don't see the offer online. I guess I'd have to go into the store to get it.

I called my local BB and they said their district (which is Vancouver, WA, to Tukwila, WA), does not carry Sprint. Lame. I could try Seattle but I don't want to have to drive up there for returns/etc.

You can order this phone NOW if you call sprint :)

Better off going to BB or a Sprint store on Sunday. If you order it now, you won't be getting it til Tuesday at the earliest. Monday is a holiday.

Do you all recommend this new Hero over the T-Mobile MyTouch big time or just a little better ?

Back