First SFF System. Air flow?

Pacwageo

Weaksauce
I'm looking to build my first SFF system, but I'm worried about the air flow in the LIAN LI case I picked out.

I don't plan to game on this PC... it will be mostly used for programming and web design.

Here's the machine I was thinking of building:
  • LIAN LI PC-QA03B Case
  • Core i7 4790S
  • Mushkin 2x8GB DDR3 RAM
  • ASUS Z97I-PLUS Mobo (Mini-ITX)
  • 2xSamsung 840 Pro SSD, 256GB (RAID 0)
  • Noctua NH-9LI Low Profile CPU Cooler
  • SFX PSU (haven't decided on which one)
  • I'll be relying on the integrated HD 4600... to run my three monitors.

Does anyone here have any experience with this LIAN LI case, or similar?

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Lian-Li-Alumi...id=1403990205&sr=8-1&keywords=LIAN+LI+PC-Q03B

I'm concerned about the air-flow... especially with an i7 in the case... Are there better cases that can be recommended from experience?

Thanks

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That case takes a full ATX PSU

Other than that, if you are sticking with the Intel graphics, and a Haswell CPU you will have plenty of airflow and a very quiet PC.

I have built several SFF PCs in small Lian Li cases with very similar layout.

Since you're relying on the iGpu definitely consider ram speeds greater then 1600. This will give you a broader grunt in the graphics department.

That case comes with an ATX to SFX PSU bracket according to the website.
The case has 70mm CPU cooler height and even more if you use an SFX PSU. You might as well upgrade to the Noctua NH-L12 cooler(bottom fan only) and a full voltage i7.
Don't worry about a modern CPU getting too hot, that never happens, even in a small case. It's laughable to worry about airflow nowadays when you don't have a dedicated GPU, which usually produces most of the heat.

Good catch on the PSU adapter plate cowsgomoo, sorry for the error Pacwageo.

Back