First server and Active Domain

I just converted my old computer into a server on which I am running Windows Server 2003. Right now I am running a Webserver, an email server, File and print sharing, My questions are

1. Would it be allright to install AD on this server
2. If so, where is a good source of information to get started on AD ( I have never used it and I would like to play around with it)

The server is a P4 2.4 with 1gb of RAM, and 400gb of hard drive space running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise

Is this a home or work server? If it's a work server, then I wouldn't. If it's a home server, sure why not. Microsoft has tons of info on their site Technet

definitely do if you want to learn about AD. While you're at it do a DNS server and DHCP server to learn about those as well.

I cant do DHCP because my DSL modem does and there is no way to turn off the router feature in the modem.

Thanks for the link.

You should be able to get into the router and disable dhcp, or at the least change the dns entry. Otherwise, you'll have to set your machines by hand. AD requires a DNS server and your workstations have to be pointed at that DNS server.

sperryfreak01 said:
I cant do DHCP because my DSL modem does and there is no way to turn off the router feature in the modem.

Thanks for the link.

Name and model # of this wretched DSL modem?

the modem is a like 2wire Home portal 1000sw, there is no way that i have been able to find to turn off the router features, just the wireless feature.

sperryfreak01 said:
the modem is a like 2wire Home portal 1000sw, there is no way that i have been able to find to turn off the router features, just the wireless feature.

You can....according to Stangman..scroll down a bit in this post...
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=986952&highlight=2wire

However, I highly recommend you don't disable the router feature, but simply disable DHCP...and remember the LAN IP of the 2Wire. You want to keep your NAT protection..so keep it set as a router.

Back