First run Q6600 OC.

prne10

Limp Gawd
This year is my first real attempt at OCing anything. I decided to go ahead and snag a G0 Q6600 and after 1 week of stability at stock speeds, I am OCing it. My specs are:

Q6600 @ (3.0Ghz)
Ultra-120/sythflex
Abit IP35 Pro
2x 2gb G.skill PC8000
Evga 8800gt @ 650

I figured that with PC8000 Ram, I should be able to just go 1:1 on ram and set my fsb as high as needed. As it looks right now, at 3Ghz I am getting 4 cores at 60C running prime95 (temps from speed fan).

I have a few questions, though:

1st) When I go into Abit Bios to look at the Vcore, it won't let me drop it below 1.225ish... anyone know why?

2nd) If I get a stable OC at 3.0Ghz and max temps at 60.. how much further do you think I should push it? Consider that my room is not very warm but sometimes I do run the heater... then again, I probably wont be putting the CPU to full power most of the time...

3) Am I understanding it right when I say that my ram can handle up to 500mhz FSB since it is effective 1000mhz DDR ?

Edit *My brain is fried... just finished finals and I totally forgot to add more*

3ghz at 60c with load should be about the limit. The Q6600 can handle up to 70C but I wouldn't run it over clocked at that temp forever. Get better cooling. If you have G0 you should beadle to hit 3.4-3.6 pretty easily with a after market heat sink.

I have the Thermalright Ultra-120...

The case I chose is probably the cause of my increased temps.

(Cosmos 1000)

Also, I didn't think my stock temps were that bad. 39/55?

11 hours of Prime95 and no errors.

Max Temp with case door closed -62
Max temp with case door open- 58

Looks like success!

Yea, those temps seem high for only 3 Ghz.
I mean, for my setup, Granted I am my window open(And its winter), lapped both the proc and the heatsink base, and I am using MX-2 thermal Paste.

But current temps on SMP folding are 51C @ 3.6 GHz..

What thermal paste a re you using?
Have you considered lapping your proc at all?

Yes your RAM can handle FSB Clock of 500, only if its on a 1 to 1 ratio though.

I'm using AS5.

I decided to go against lapping because this is my first OC and I can't afford to buy another Chip.

As for the temperature, I haven't yet messed much with Vcore settings. I just let the mobo go for it. I wonder if I could drop my temp a couple degrees by messing around with it...

Also:

Just ran 3D mark 06 and scored 13009. Good improvement over my initial 11ish with stock settings.

I'm using AS5.

I decided to go against lapping because this is my first OC and I can't afford to buy another Chip.

As for the temperature, I haven't yet messed much with Vcore settings. I just let the mobo go for it. I wonder if I could drop my temp a couple degrees by messing around with it...

There is much less risk of damaging your chip than you think. SO many people have lapped their chips, and as of yet, I have not seen one who killed it as a result. Ive lapped two CPU's and they both work fine.

Do not let the Mobo decide voltages. Set the Vcore to manual. Try 3 Ghz on stock voltages for now. Every time it does not boot into windows, blue screens or has some other error, up the Vcore by ONE notch each time until you can use the computer as you normally would without problems..
Again, my CPU @ 3.6 Ghz is @ a vcore of 1.425.

Tempartures can sure change with different Vcores. But, I still don't know why your tempartures are so high for only a 3 Ghz clock. If those temps do not change, 3 Ghz is prehaps all you may get out of this chip..

There is much less risk of damaging your chip than you think. SO many people have lapped their chips, and as of yet, I have not seen one who killed it as a result. Ive lapped two CPU's and they both work fine.

Do not let the Mobo decide voltages. Set the Vcore to manual. Try 3 Ghz on stock voltages for now. Every time it does not boot into windows, blue screens or has some other error, up the Vcore by ONE notch each time until you can use the computer as you normally would without problems..
Again, my CPU @ 3.6 Ghz is @ a vcore of 1.425.

Tempartures can sure change with different Vcores. But, I still don't know why your tempartures are so high for only a 3 Ghz clock. If those temps do not change, 3 Ghz is prehaps all you may get out of this chip..

I'm thinking a few things about the temps at 3 Ghz. First, my case isn't the greatest for temp management. Second, I am using the fans that came with the case. Third, when I put on the Ultra-120, I had a tough time with the spring screws and might have spread the thermal paste too thin (The HS moved a bit more than it should have). Finally, my vcore settings are currently managed by the motherboard.

I'll start playing around with the vcore and see where I get from there.

It looks like my Vcore is actually at 1.22-1.24 (when I let the mobo control it). This is at least according to speedfan. Can this be right?

Software readings are unreliable. I usually ignore them alltogether. I just care about what the user sets through the CMOS.

I use core temp to view my temps, and it is always close to what ntune says my actual CPU temp is

Lowering your Vcore might reduce temps but it'll probably make your current OC unstable.

Lowering your Vcore might reduce temps but it'll probably make your current OC unstable.

Right, I could understand lowering the Vcore if all you wanted to Do is run it at stock speeds and lower tempartures. But surely thats not what you want? I see no reason to buy a Q6600 if your going to run it at stock. And you may be able to get by on stock voltages at around 3 Ghz. But anything above that "usually" requires on to increase the Vcore, not lower it..

A couple things to consider with lowering temperatures is clearing wiring and cables for better air flow. Also what is the ambient temperatures of your house? That would have a big effect. When you applied the AS5 what sort of application method did you use? I've had best luck with the even spreading of a thin layer rather then the thin line method...

When I applied the AS5, I used the thin line method.

As far as my cables go, they are mostly out of the way except for a few that just didn't have enough slack to be put behind my mobo tray.

I certainly notice a difference of about 5 degrees depending on the temperature of my apartment. Sadly, I live in a cheap apartment that has no thermostat. However, I can guess that it gets sub 70F without my space heater. When I was running prime95, I woke up to a hot room and temps in my case of about 61C ( I don't run the space heater at night).

3.0 Ghz might be the limit without a stronger fan (my s-flex is rated around 50CFM maybe?) but that means more noise. Honestly, 3.0 Ghz (25%) is not bad at all for my first OC. I figure that once I get more money I can play around with all sorts of mods, maybe even go water for my next project.

When I applied the AS5, I used the thin line method.

As far as my cables go, they are mostly out of the way except for a few that just didn't have enough slack to be put behind my mobo tray.

I certainly notice a difference of about 5 degrees depending on the temperature of my apartment. Sadly, I live in a cheap apartment that has no thermostat. However, I can guess that it gets sub 70F without my space heater. When I was running prime95, I woke up to a hot room and temps in my case of about 61C ( I don't run the space heater at night).

3.0 Ghz might be the limit without a stronger fan (my s-flex is rated around 50CFM maybe?) but that means more noise. Honestly, 3.0 Ghz (25%) is not bad at all for my first OC. I figure that once I get more money I can play around with all sorts of mods, maybe even go water for my next project.

Since your living conditions dictate what you can and cannot do, I now Understand why you were thinking about undervolting your CPU, and now I say, yes go ahead and experiment all you wish with the minimazation of Vcore, because of your situation.

Anyways, if you intend to move out sooner or later and get "your own space" then having such a small overclock for the time being is understandable..

Right. At night it can either get super cold or super hot but during the day it is usually super cold. So cold in fact that my hands slow down and ache. :eek:

I did notice that my first two cores are a few degrees above the other two cores... Perhaps the first two are not covered as well as the second two? Any ideas? :confused:

I did notice that my first two cores are a few degrees above the other two cores... Perhaps the first two are not covered as well as the second two? Any ideas? :confused:

Thats normal, my quad temps were always about 3-5 degrees different than each other...

Back