First real mod in progress- share some advice

dtwhite

n00b
I'm actually cutting things and whatnot this time, and I am looking for ideas of stuff to do with the case that might make it interesting or unique. I like the colors I have chosen (black / bronze). Sorry about the blurriness.

Here's what I am already going to do:
-Paint the rest of the drive bay covers and drive bezels bronze
-Attach lexan for window

The honecomb behind the 120mm fans in this case (black version of this case, which apparently they don't sell anymore) is already spacious enough that I don't think it's necessary to dremel it out.

Stuff I might do:
-Paint side panel bronze (as opposed to leaving it black)
-Paint power supply matte black to match inside of case
-Disguise all cables somehow (taping them in corners, coloring them black)
-Paint heat spreaders on RAM to not be such an eyesore

Any comments or ideas? I'm open to goofy stuff too. Thanks for the input in advance.

edit: bonus nifty deviantart pictures I took of the inside
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/37679372/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/37679269/

Paint the chassis black.

Window CD drive?

Top window w/ 120mm fan in center?

CABLE MANAGEMENT?

Change front LEDs to blue.

And if you wanted to, you could get a PS1 LCD or similar and mod it into the case for LANs. The possibilities are endless, try anything new or unusual if you want to be unique...

itschop said:
Beige~ ARGG
If you are talking about the drives, I already said that was on tap.
synaps3 said:
Paint the chassis black.

Top window w/ 120mm fan in center?

CABLE MANAGEMENT?
Top window might be a neat thing to do. As far as cable management goes, that is the best I can do without tape given the lengths of the cords. By paint chassis black do you mean the inside? If so, I already did that.

Hmm yah maybe just some sleeves on the cables but I like that so far. The colors you picked look great.

Bumping because I have a question: I tried installing the lexan but when I wipe off the dust from it it keeps getting a static charge and gathering more dust. It's not even all that arid right now (it just rained last night) but it's driving me nuts. How can I prevent this?

The reason why they attract dust is they build up a positive charge so the dust particles are attracted to the lexan. The more you rub the more charge you give the lexan. Do not be sad though, There are little cloths you can buy to clean it with that give it a positive charge (which repels the dust). I forgot what they are called but thats what ya need. They are commonly used to clean a case before painting to stop the dust.

Oh right, I think I have one of those, actually. I didn't realize that different cloths could create opposite charges on the lexan. I will try that.

You really should stealth the drives its not hard and it makes it makes cases look alot better when done.

I would suggest some of the cooler things I am doing to my design a case but I do not want the ideas stolen since I am pretty sure Some of them have never been done before to a case.

Maethor said:
You really should stealth the drives its not hard and it makes it makes cases look alot better when done.

I would suggest some of the cooler things I am doing to my design a case but I do not want the ideas stolen since I am pretty sure Some of them have never been done before to a case.
So did you just come to taunt me?

Also, I'm pretty sure that I can't stealth the drives on this case, it has some wacky rail system. I guess I could find a way to rig it, though.

Maethor said:

HAha your post is hilarious

What I am pretty sure at least two of my ideas that I am 90% sure have never been done. I do remind you I am designing the entire case from scratch including drive bays, switches, leds ect. I have pretty much free reign where I put everything in the case. And I am 99% sure I have two or three that have probably never been seen.

Here is one of the ones I am about 50% sure has not been done. You know how if you set your case on the ground the drives always shoot straight out at you. I plan on designing my case so that the dvd drive comes out of the side or top of the case havent decided which is going to be more convenient for me. the drive will be verticle so I need to find one like a laptop drive that holds the disk forcefully in place though. I also am in the process of designing a better key lock. Instead of locking a front door this key will lock the power supply. IE if i remove the key none of the controls will work in the system and the system will not boot without the key turned into the on position. If removed while running I can not decide whether or not to have the key turn off the computer or just lock all the power/drive buttons from functioning.

Sounds neat, but I hope you realize that even if I was about to run out and do those things, I would give credit. I'm also pretty sure that the normal CD drives will be able to still hold discs when at those positions, there's a little lip around where the disc goes for that reason, or you could get slot-load drives.

okay so I'm making really slow progress here, but this is what i've done.

(note: it doesn't look nearly this glittery in real life, I have no idea what's going on here)

-painted rest of front
-installed lexan window / dust magnet

Any other input is still welcome from anyone who cares to post.

First off... the Drive opening from the top HAS been done before :p.

As for the key thing, I did that to an old server that I left in my Dorm's Common Room (it was a TV server). After BOLTING it down and padlocking the sides on, I set up 3 relays powered via an external 5v Adapter that would ONLY switch when the key was inserted into the on position. The other side of each relay allowed the Power and Reset buttons to be pushed. The Third relay allowed the computer to be switched on, when the key was out the 120v 8a relay prevented any power from going to the PSU.

Best thing was, if the relay Power supply (it was just an old 5v adapter rated for 500ma, from wallmart) was removed, nothing would work...

Arcygenical said:
First off... the Drive opening from the top HAS been done before :p.

As for the key thing, I did that to an old server that I left in my Dorm's Common Room (it was a TV server). After BOLTING it down and padlocking the sides on, I set up 3 relays powered via an external 5v Adapter that would ONLY switch when the key was inserted into the on position. The other side of each relay allowed the Power and Reset buttons to be pushed. The Third relay allowed the computer to be switched on, when the key was out the 120v 8a relay prevented any power from going to the PSU.

Best thing was, if the relay Power supply (it was just an old 5v adapter rated for 500ma, from wallmart) was removed, nothing would work...
Ya know, it's like calculus, two people invented it at the same time! Except, although neat, it has no effect whatsoever on humanity.

Back