First post, I need some recommendations and advice

fshwcrs

n00b
This is the same post as another forum's computer/tech subforum, and it didnt fit exactly into any category here, so if this is in the wrong place I apologize and it'd be cool if a mod would move it to the right place for me. Ok, content:

Ok, so I am moving out in a few weeks, and I'm going to be needing some electronics stuff, but I don't know a whole lot about it.

TVs:
NO idea about anything. I'm thinking something around 42" or so, but I really don't know what I am looking at, WRT plasma/lcd/dlp, etc. I'm not looking to spend 5k, but I want something nice that will last me for a few years at least. It will be used mostly for DVDs and console gaming. I have XBOX but I'll probably pick up a PS2, and when the 360 drops a bit, I'll get one of those. I've seen High Def cable kits or whatever for XBOX, are these available for PS2, as well, and are they worth it? Any dvd player receiver, speaker, etc recommendations?

Computers:
I just rebuilt my main computer, without Linux (I've used Gentoo exclusively for a few years now), because for my job I need to use Windows. I really miss Linux, so I am going to build a Shuttle, and I don't really know much about them. I am looking at the following:

-Shuttle SB95P V2
-Pentium D 820 (what's the diff between the BTX and non?)
-1G RAM (2x512) (Brand recs?)
-Whatever SATA HDD is on sale locally, probably
-Plextor PX-716AL (Slot loading DVD burner)
-Some kind of PCI-E nvidia card. (I have a 6800 in my main comp, works good enough in q4 for me) I doubt ill do much gaming, but I might put q4 on it and its possible that I will buy new games that run natively on linux to support their development. No current card should have a problem with a Samsung 243T, right? Read the monitor section, too
-For a keyboard, I'm looking for something that has laptop-like keys (very flat), black, cordless, and if possible, no numpad or media keys, etc. I basically want it as small and sleek as possible.
-For a mouse, I just want something black and cordless, with 5 buttons and a wheel.

I think that covers everything, is all that compatible with each other (mainly proc/mobo), and is there anything I could change for not a whole lot more money for better performance or something a little cheaper with the same performance? This will be used mainly for BitTorrent, cd/dvd burning, XMMS, Gaim, FF, etc, with the occasional gaming session if I have a friend over for some q4 or something.

Monitors:
I have a 19” viewsonic that I can use right now, but I am looking for a big widescreen (or 2). 2405fpw is the best bang for the buck right now, yes? I might be able to get a Samsung SyncMaster 243T for about 800, which will probably go to my shuttle. What kind of vid card setup would it take to run dual 2405's?

Ubuntu:
Anybody have experience with the newest release of this OS? I'm used to Gentoo, so should I just stick with that? I like having only what I put on there, can Ubu do this? I'll probably give it a try and if its not working out ill go back to Gentoo.

I think thats it, and thanks so much if you read through all that or if you can point me in the right direction on anything, even if its just giving me some model numbers to google or some forums where I can read up on it myself

Back