First Person with a good single player?

Farcry 3. I was really surprised that despite all the hype, actual game is also a very good open world shooter and story is quite twisted. Main character is a bozo, but other people are pretty freaky and fun. Hell, it`s the first FPS I can even enjoy playing with a darn console. ;) And of course Blood Dragon, which was absolutely hilarious. Both are very much worth playing for anyone who likes first person shooters.

Anyone know if dead space 1 and 2 were fun and decent single player run thrus?

Farcry 3. I was really surprised that despite all the hype, actual game is also a very good open world shooter and story is quite twisted. Main character is a bozo, but other people are pretty freaky and fun. Hell, it`s the first FPS I can even enjoy playing with a darn console. ;) And of course Blood Dragon, which was absolutely hilarious. Both are very much worth playing for anyone who likes first person shooters.

I didn't like Fracry 3 very much... or at least I didn't think I did, until I tried to play Crysis 3. That made me realize that, while Farcry 3 went on far longer than it needed to, it was still a very good FPS.

Dishonored was top five for me. Everyone rags on Crysis 2 and 3, but I liked them both. I enjoy playing games that allow you to be stealthy and take your time. I typically reload from the start if I fuck up. Turns 6 hours of gameplay into a few weeks :D

Crysis 2 was good but Crysis 3 was shit IMO. Very boring compared to the 2nd
FarCry 3 was also great. I'm really picky gamer too

Crysis Series
Halo 1 & 2
Bioshock 1, 2, and Infinite
Call of Duty World at War
many others....

STALKER series is one of the best in recent (kinda?) years. Lots of mods for them as well.
Deus Ex HM was a great game as well
Far Cry 3 is like STALKER + Red Dead Redemption mixed with epic Crysis graphics. Highly recommend.
HL2 of course, and HL Black Mesa mod.
The first Crysis was a good game as well.

Always been a Tomb Raider fan, so while it's not a FPS, I think I'll take a whack at it. Also going to try Skyrim. My daughter has it on the Xbox 360 and she loved it, it looked good so I figure I can try. The single player video for Battlefield 4 looks good, hoping the multi is better in the final version than it is in the beta.

I strongly recommend bioshock infinite or dishonored before tomb raider; the latest tomb raider is very linear and short. I can't comment on farycry 3 (not played) but I have played the other three.

Dishonored was much much shorter than Tomb Raider. I never played any TR games before and I had a blast, strongly recommend it.

I'm currently replaying Deus Ex Human Revolution on hard, so I highly recommend that one.

Others:
Dishonored + The Knife of Dunwall & The Brigmore Witches DLCs
Bioshock Infinite
Bioshock 1 & 2
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
F.E.A.R. 1 & 2
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

Looks like I need to play Far Cry 3...

I've enjoyed Hard Reset very much but it's definitly not tactical but closer to Q3/Painkiller

On October 22nd, Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's cut will be released. They fixed the damn boss fights. Definitely worth checking out.

On October 22nd, Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's cut will be released. They fixed the damn boss fights. Definitely worth checking out.

I may wind up getting that... but the price is what I'm worried about. It honestly should be a huge patch or a cheap DLC for those that already own the original game.

Tomb Raider pretty much rocked. Best game I've played this year I think. QTEs are a little annoying, but they're not hard- much easier than this kid's game I've been playing the last couple of days (Rayman Legends, platformer, originally a Wii U title but came out on PC and I think 360 & PS3, demo available on Steam if you're curious).

IMHO run & gun needs to be all-out to be good. Serious Sam, that sort of thing. I am a badass so I am going to bunny hop and run sideways while holding a cannon and shooting you with it! Ridiculous? Yes. Fun? That too.

I haven't gotten into Far Cry 3 yet, but the little bit I've played looks promising. The first far Cry was great. I never got into 2, but it didn't seem like it was run & gun.

Fallout's great but I'm not sure I'd really call it a tactical first person game. VATS + skills changes the game a lot. Once you get your skills up and get that perk that recharges your points when you kill something you can pretty much slaughter stuff with VATS. Kill 5 guys in 1 second of game time, etc. It's an RPG. Towards the end of the game you start getting uber. That said, it's a great game.

I really enjoyed Tomb Raider, great game.

Serious Sam style games are a blast for that full on style. I tried Far Cry 3 and just couldn't get into it. I was bored and asking my self wtf I was doing as I just did not care about anyone or anything in the game so I logged out and have not gone back since. Pretty scenery though. Someday I may try to finish it but I only got about 45 to 60 minutes in before I had had enough.

Some other good mentions in there, I like a decent mix up with some stealth and run and gun options mixed in. Games that do it right with the all or nothing style can be fun as well.

I enjoyed Fallout 3 quite a bit, for a FPS RPG. As corny as it sounds, I actually enjoyed the Medal of Honor remake SP. The story might not be the greatest but I'll be damned if I didn't feel pretty authentically tier 1 spec ops in a way that no CoD or Battlefield ever tried. You could tell their military advisers for the game were the real deal. The vibe was spot on.

I really enjoyed Tomb Raider, great game.

Serious Sam style games are a blast for that full on style. I tried Far Cry 3 and just couldn't get into it. I was bored and asking my self wtf I was doing as I just did not care about anyone or anything in the game so I logged out and have not gone back since. Pretty scenery though. Someday I may try to finish it but I only got about 45 to 60 minutes in before I had had enough.

Some other good mentions in there, I like a decent mix up with some stealth and run and gun options mixed in. Games that do it right with the all or nothing style can be fun as well.

Despite being a really simple storyline, it's still awesome, so my vote goes for Serious Sam 3. Brothers in Arms was also a pretty good franchise at first. Duke Nukem 3d is always a good one, albeit a bit old. Oh and Zork...

Crysis 1 + Warhead
Bioshock
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
FarCry 3
Metro 2033
Dead Space 1 and 2

Despite being a really simple storyline, it's still awesome, so my vote goes for Serious Sam 3. Brothers in Arms was also a pretty good franchise at first. Duke Nukem 3d is always a good one, albeit a bit old. Oh and Zork...

You know, I was all set to list my favorites, then saw this, and went to check Steam - apparently I'm over 100 hours replaying DN3D in the past month since it was on the Humble Bundle, second in my library to the first Borderlands. All I could think was "holy shit, how did THAT happen?!" :D

If you haven't played them already I'd recommend older games like System Shock 2 and Deux Ex. If you really want tactical I'd recommend the older Rainbow Six series.

If you play any of the Stalker games, make darn sure you at least apply the Complete mods, as they fix a lot of bugs.

And don't quicksave!

S.T.A.L.K.E.R SOC = best damn fps rpg ever, and is one of the most atmospheric games i have ever played.

Bioshock Infinite. OMG, it is unbelieveably good. I picked it up on sale last Sunday, and have since put in 16 hours over 3 days worth of playing. Amazing artwork, storyline, gameplay, pretty much everything about it.

The last one I played before that was the new Tomb Raider - also really really good SP game! It's like your favorite Indiana Jones movie only better... and a game! Not first-person but still really good.

Two other recent games with amazing SP I'd recommend are: FarCry3 and Dishonored. Enjoy!

They get harder to find it seems...

I usually like to get something like a CoD or Battlefield game and run the single-player first. Is there anything out there that isn't a run n gun, more more of a tactical mission-based game? I like the multiplayer, but sometimes I just don't want to deal with it.

Up until Black Ops I bought every single COD game and played only the single player campaign. Haven't played a decent single player FPS in a couple years.

Up until Black Ops I bought every single COD game and played only the single player campaign. Haven't played a decent single player FPS in a couple years.

Then you are not trying. Cod single player was never very good and there have been plenty of good single player shooters recently. Bioshock, deus ex, metro2033, etc.

Back