First Person with a good single player?

Mekanic01

Gawd
They get harder to find it seems...

I usually like to get something like a CoD or Battlefield game and run the single-player first. Is there anything out there that isn't a run n gun, more more of a tactical mission-based game? I like the multiplayer, but sometimes I just don't want to deal with it.

Single Player: Fallout 3 with DLC; Fallout: New Vegas with DLC and there are many, many mods available to alter the stock gameplay to your liking.

fallout series. (mainly 3 and new vegas) tactile if thats the way you prefer to go.

bioshock infinite was ok to me. a little on the run and gun side to me.

I cant believe no one has mentioned the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games yet. Very fun and lots of mods for all three of them

I really enjoyed Far Cry 3 and Far Cry Blood Dragon, Bioshock Infinite, Metro Last Light, and Crysis 3.

Cryostasis
+1 for stalker series
Darkest of days
Fear 1 & 2
Dishonored
Dead space series (3rd person)

Thosd all have good storylines

fallout series. (mainly 3 and new vegas) tactile if thats the way you prefer to go.

bioshock infinite was ok to me. a little on the run and gun side to me.

I'll have to replay those games for the tactile experience :p

almost forgot, what about borderlands 2???? Much better on PC than consoles.

One of the more enjoyable SP that came out last year.
I know its not truly first person, but I did enjoy Max Payne 3 and Tomb Raider a whole bunch.

Tomb Raider pretty much rocked. Best game I've played this year I think. QTEs are a little annoying, but they're not hard- much easier than this kid's game I've been playing the last couple of days (Rayman Legends, platformer, originally a Wii U title but came out on PC and I think 360 & PS3, demo available on Steam if you're curious).

IMHO run & gun needs to be all-out to be good. Serious Sam, that sort of thing. I am a badass so I am going to bunny hop and run sideways while holding a cannon and shooting you with it! Ridiculous? Yes. Fun? That too.

I haven't gotten into Far Cry 3 yet, but the little bit I've played looks promising. The first far Cry was great. I never got into 2, but it didn't seem like it was run & gun.

Fallout's great but I'm not sure I'd really call it a tactical first person game. VATS + skills changes the game a lot. Once you get your skills up and get that perk that recharges your points when you kill something you can pretty much slaughter stuff with VATS. Kill 5 guys in 1 second of game time, etc. It's an RPG. Towards the end of the game you start getting uber. That said, it's a great game.

+1 for Dishonored and STALKER series.

The original Far Cry I thought was a great game. I don't remember exactly how 'tactical' it was, but I remember it as having a great 'balance'... missions, weapons, enemies, etc.

Assassins Creed II and Brotherhood were fun single player games. But not shooters, of course.

Just as a warning if you're going to play Dishonored: it'll ruin you for running. Blinking makes running around seem so plebeian.

Oh, and Dead Space 1 and 2 were fun, decent single player run-thrus.

Just in case it wasn't mentioned =/

almost forgot, what about borderlands 2???? Much better on PC than consoles.

Borderlands 2 is great, and Borderlands 1 even moreso. And that coming from someone that played Borderlands 2 first so its not nostalgia talking. PC version in both cases. There's a lone, desolate feeling to playing through Borderlands 1 that is hard to describe and has to be experienced--a feeling that kinda got lost in Borderlands 2 because they mainstreamed it with oversaturated colors for the halo kid crowd, taking it from a Mad Max feeling in BL1 to Space Cowboy with toy guns in BL2.

I also really dug Far Cry 3 as far as more recent titles go.

the new Shadow Warrior - not a perfect game, and it's basically run and gun, but a game rarely comes along these days with such satisfying weapons and combat. The environments,story and most importantly corny humor are also nice. I hope we get more FPS like this in the future

Here are the last first person games I've played and enjoyed

Crysis
Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas
Skyrim
Deus Ex Human Revolution

For Fallout 3 and New Vegas get version with all the DLCs. The DLCs really enhance both games.

What about Skyrim? Technically CAN be a first person shooter. Hehe

Borderlands 2 is great, and Borderlands 1 even moreso. And that coming from someone that played Borderlands 2 first so its not nostalgia talking. PC version in both cases. There's a lone, desolate feeling to playing through Borderlands 1 that is hard to describe and has to be experienced--a feeling that kinda got lost in Borderlands 2 because they mainstreamed it with oversaturated colors for the halo kid crowd, taking it from a Mad Max feeling in BL1 to Space Cowboy with toy guns in BL2.

I agree, I didn't get near the amount of enjoyment from the BL2 as I did with the first one. I got halfway through it and haven't gone back to it since.

Metro 2033 & Metro Last Light

These. Just played metro 2033 this year (yeah, i know, late to the game) and immediately bought last light once i finished. Great story, and decent FPS. Last light improved the shooting a good bit, and added the non-lethal takedowns (so much more satisfying). Plus excellent stealth gameplay.

Oh, and Dead Space 1 and 2 were fun, decent single player run-thrus.lol

but seriously Far cry 3 and Fallout New vegas were lots of fun

Also Dead island and dead island riptide are sort of fps games. I say sort of because guns are not available (except through mods) until you finish half of the game. they are fun loads of fun though.

Oh, and Dead Space 1 and 2 were fun, decent single player run-thrus

It's white and longer than your average cloak or cape.

Wait, wrong website. *slowly walks out*

Serious Sam before first encounter for sure, even playing it coop is fun as hell

I don't think they make these anymore, sucks

Because call of doody and battlefield single player campaigns suck people keep saying this but there are tons of great single player shooters.

My personal SP games:

HL - 1/2 + Mods
HL Blue Shift
HL Opposing Force
S.T.A.L.K.E.R - All of them
Fall Out: GOTY/New Vegas + mods
F.E.A.R
Serious Sam fist and second encounter
Serious Sam 3
Borderlands 1/2

I'm going to toss Minecraft with Mods into the mix as well.

Best part about most of the games I listed is I STILL play them... MODS man, best part of being a PC gamer are the mods.

Like many others, I still replay Half-Life 2 on occasion.
Far Cry 3 was a great game. Crysis 2 isn't bad either. The first Crysis is okay until the aliens show up. No clue if the first Far Cry is easy to run and/or mod, but it's a classic.
I never touched MP in either Borderlands 1 or 2 and had a blast.
Condemned is a great psuedo-FPS/horror hybrid.

I picked up Borderlands 2 on the Steam sale this past summer. I find it to be very good, and a very good "sequel" to the original BL. Same stupid sense of humor, kicked up a notch. Even more nods to nerd culture.

The menu makes it really feel like a console port, but if you can get past the in-game menu clunkiness, the game is a solid FPS. And if you do nothing else, get the Tiny Tina dlc. Tiny Tina is my favorite bestie of all time. she my boo. she all cra-cra. and girl loves dem badonkadonks.

Back