First Person Shooter - best recent?

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[ said:
I've never understood why people say Halo is overrated. I think it's because they are thinking of it as a PC game, which is exactly what it's not really.

It was a console game that was ported to PC (how many years later?). The reason there is a lot of hype is because it's probably the best CONSOLE fps ever.

Hype is around Halo the console game, not halo the pc game.
When I play Halo for PC I compare it to PC gaming standards. Maybe it was the best for console - but that's very, very sad when you think about it.

Stiler said:
Maybe because it's fun as heck? the graphics were nice, but the gameplay was just as fun.

Halo was kick ass too. These are two examples of games that have "bandwagon haters" that think it's "cool" to dislike them.

don't get me wrong, you can not like it, but don't say that it's overrated because so many people in this thread likes it.
I thought Halo was one of the most overrated games ever. Incredibly repetitive gameplay? Check. Lack of diversity? Check. Actually, I was stating how horrible Halo was LONG before it became cool/obvious to say the game was bad.

CoD had better and more fun gameplay than FarCry, in my opinion.

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[ said:
I've never understood why people say Halo is overrated. I think it's because they are thinking of it as a PC game, which is exactly what it's not really.

It was a console game that was ported to PC (how many years later?). The reason there is a lot of hype is because it's probably the best CONSOLE fps ever.

Hype is around Halo the console game, not halo the pc game.

Well, you have to take into account that Halo started on the pc first actually. Bungie showed the first video of it at the Mac expo.

Then microsoft bought them out and put it to xbox exclusive first then pc later.

I do have to say that the first video for halo from the mac expo looked better then the halo we got. The lv design was VAST and open, lakes, huge valleys, etc.

When we got it for the xbox the lv's were far from being as big as what was shown when it was a pc game.

However i still loved halo on XBOX. The game was extremely fun to me, it didn't feel repetitve to me except for the flood mission and the one where you're in the room's that are circles and look the same. The outside lv's were my favorite.

The ice lv's blew me away when i was playing it, staring at the ice that you could actually see little nicks and stuff in.

I played through it with as much fun and joy as i did Goldeneye. Then i played through it co op with my brother. This is one of the only games that he and I have played co op on all the way through and i loved it.

I've played Halo on a friends xbox, and I must say I enjoyed the co op play. But pc gaming isnt about getting together with friends and all playing together, its about hardcore single player(or sometimes not so hardcore....) or going online and playing with someone two continents away.

I like the farcry not because the graphics are good, but because it is realistic. A pistol shot at close range into the chest kills a bad guy, like it would in real life. Stuff blows up, can be rolled, etc. Rather than encouraging the user to find the biggest gun, it made me think about the best way to move in on the enemy.

Back