First PC game that required online connection?

If we're ignoring BBS games, maybe AOL's Neverwinter Nights or Meridian 59.

HL2 was the first boxed game I bought that required internet... I was pissed off because I didn't it at the time... BUT I'm sure there were other single-player game that required it before this? Obviously there have always been online games that have required it, like the above poster has pointed out.

"Required" is an interesting word...

I mean, Tribes was out long before HL2, but technically you could play the game by yourself or with bots... but that kind of defeated the purpose. And of course in the same vein Unreal Tournament.

"Required" is an interesting word...

I mean, Tribes was out long before HL2, but technically you could play the game by yourself or with bots... but that kind of defeated the purpose. And of course in the same vein Unreal Tournament.

We were allright playing UT over LAN. Or over modem sometimes.

If we're ignoring BBS games, maybe AOL's Neverwinter Nights or Meridian 59.

I'd consider AOL a BBS though. If that was the case, then CompuServe's Island of Kesmai (1985) or GEnie's Air Warrior (1988).

While Meriden 59 was the first commercial MMORPG on the PC, the beta of Sierra's The Realm (1996), predated it by a few months.

Still, all of these games aren't exactly PC games, even though they required a PC to run them.

I'd consider AOL a BBS though. If that was the case, then CompuServe's Island of Kesmai (1985) or GEnie's Air Warrior (1988).

MegaWars on Compuserve was even earlier than that. Or are we just talking fancy games that used graphics.

Legend of the Red Dragon (LORD) on BBS was my first online only game.

Well, there were some pretty early online only games like Subspace for example. (little space-ship shooter game) There were others before that even, but I can't remember off the top of my head. And as someone else mentioned old BBS games would probably be the earliest examples if we want to be technical about it. :D

HL2 was the first boxed game I bought that required internet... I was pissed off because I didn't it at the time... BUT I'm sure there were other single-player game that required it before this? Obviously there have always been online games that have required it, like the above poster has pointed out.
I think it took me about a week to verify and decrypt Half-Life 2 on Steam over my dial-up connection AFTER installing it off the DVD.

I miss my Levi. =(

I thought that they were reviving it in some form in fairly recent years, but I can't remember the details. Most gaming related stuff is blocked here, so I'll have to search around later. Don't know if it took off or not.

I thought that they were reviving it in some form in fairly recent years, but I can't remember the details. Most gaming related stuff is blocked here, so I'll have to search around later. Don't know if it took off or not.

Yeah it was revived as "Continuum" = http://www.getcontinuum.com/
A lot of the SSCX servers that I played on plus tons of others never came back though.

Thanks!

I played the original a tiny bit, but had a bunch of friends who were in it pretty much non-stop. I had a lot of lag issues with it I remember, which was the main reason I didn't keep playing more. I'd get blown up, and not even see who killed me. :D I do remember it being a pretty cool idea though.

Trench Wars has taken over last I recall, as it is the only real populated place that exists any more.

I never was much of a TW fan, mainly played on Jedi Wars/Zone if I recall correctly.

Last I played was years ago so things may have changed.

Back