First Overclock - i5 2500k

NightWolfe

Gawd
So this is the first CPU I've ever overclocked and wanted to see what you guys think

i5 2500k SandyBridge
CM Hyper 212+ (single fan)
ASROCK P67 Extreme4 Gen3
4.5GHz @ 1.36 (spike to 1.38) vCore

Ran IBT Standard for 20 passes and it went smooth ... are my temps too high though? They seem to bounce between ~58c to ~74c with a couple of spikes ... image below is from after the test

cpuid-hw-10222011.jpg

Should I drop the multiplier down a couple? Also, I don't see anywhere in the bios to actually set the vCore (looks like it just does it itself) ... I've got voltage set to offset +0.050 if that matters

I'm thinking I need to get a second fan for the cooler and maybe some better thermal compoun ... I just used what came with the fan, plus I'm not sure I put it on very well ... if I remove the fan what is the best way to clean the old compound off to put new on?

Thanks for the help all!

Last edited:
I have mine set to stock voltage 1.34 (in bios) shows as 1.308 in cpu-z @ 4.3Ghz

i have a hyper212+ w/ 2 (push/pull) Gelid Silent12 PWM fans

your numbers look about right here is mine running IBT standard for comparison ambient room temp 23.1C btw.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If you have the voltage set to "Offset," it will scale by itself with the multiplier. This allows it to throttle down the vcore when the CPU returns to the idle 1.6ghz. You Screenshot shows this, idle vCore of 1.05v. Using offset lowers power consumption at idle, but it can be much more time consuming to get it right. You have to maintain stability at both load and idle, since the offset affects both. If you get the load voltage as low as it will go for stability, you might run into a problem with the idle voltage being too low to keep it stable, requiring you to again increase the offset.

You should be able to change the "Offset" setting to "Manual." Might be easier to overclock, but that vCore is at idle too.

I would think your idle temps should be lower, considering your vcore is at 1.05, and your fan is running full blast. I have the same HSF, but I swapped fans to a better one I already had. My load temps were comparable when I was attempting a 4.6ghz overlclock, but I couldn't get it stable. I spike up to 68º C with a 4.4ghz @1.32 overclock.

Applying thermal compound to a "direct contact" heatpipe cooler is much more difficult, and I don't know the proper way. I looked up a tutorial online, but I don't know id it's right. One of these weekends when I have more time, I might look into reapplying it.

See THIS guide about offset overclocking.

Thanks fellas ... good to know it looks ok ...

I was curious what "package" was under my cpu core temps ... I'm assuming this is kinda an average or overall temp?

Johnny, Thanks for the link ... that was helpful ... going to try and drop my voltage offset a bit and see if it stays stable

The other thing I was wondering was maybe I should splurge and get the Corsair H60 Watercooler ... wondering if I could hit higher clocks with it, or if it will just be quieter

So I just went back and lowered the voltage offset and it was stable so I lowered it again and it's running like a champ ... temps are cooler and I shaved .05 off the voltage ... I'm guessing it might be able to even go lower

I guess next up I should either just get another fan or buy that Corsair H60, although I'm not sure if that will show a significant decrease in temps ... after that I suppose I could step it up and see how high I can go

Thanks for the help and links guys ... it's been a big help as I am a complete n00b at OCing

cpuid-hw-10222011-2.jpg

Johnny, Thanks for the link ... that was helpful ... going to try and drop my voltage offset a bit and see if it stays stable

The other thing I was wondering was maybe I should splurge and get the Corsair H60 Watercooler ... wondering if I could hit higher clocks with it, or if it will just be quieter

No problem. I, unfortunately haven't tried the offset feature yet. I'm running a straight 1.320v across the board. If I have a day to play around with it, I might get into it. That link helped me understand it too.

Just remember, stability at idle might become an issue, which would require you to apply a slightly higher than necessary load voltage to keep both stable.

I picked up that 212+ at the local Tiger Direct store maybe two weeks ago, and I am already thinking of "upgrading" to a closed-loop setup.

This is the fan I used on the Hyper 212+ I am extremely happy with them, and the look badass :)

Good deal ... I'll see how this goes for now and maybe add a fan ... the one you linked is sweet ... of course in the quest for more Hz I'm sure I'll upgrade too haha

I would highly recommend one of the closed loop systems...with their current prices I can't see a really good reason not to.

I would highly recommend one of the closed loop systems...with their current prices I can't see a really good reason not to.

I didn't even look at them when I put my build together and am kinda kicking myself for not just buying one ... do they lower temps significantly over a Hyper 212+ with two fans?

That's the only thing holding me back right now ... I'm sure I could sell the 212 and recoup some of what I spent on it ... Just want to make sure it's actually worth doing ... a degree here or there doesn't matter

I didn't even look at them when I put my build together and am kinda kicking myself for not just buying one ... do they lower temps significantly over a Hyper 212+ with two fans?

That's the only thing holding me back right now ... I'm sure I could sell the 212 and recoup some of what I spent on it ... Just want to make sure it's actually worth doing ... a degree here or there doesn't matter

That is exactly what I would recommend doing, and putting it towards the system of your choice. You won't notice huge differences at idle, but under load I have seen some pretty impressive temp differentials.

That is exactly what I would recommend doing, and putting it towards the system of your choice. You won't notice huge differences at idle, but under load I have seen some pretty impressive temp differentials.

Dammit man stop making sense and trying to get me to spend more money on this build hahaha

5GHz HERE I COME!!!!

Back