First Nvidia 780i SLI review

I'm pretty sure 680i do not support 45nms. P35's were the first.
EDIT: I guess only certain boards with certain BIOS can run it. So I guess we can assume 780i has good support?

According to anandtech, some 680i boards will support 45nm with BIOS flash. and I saw evga 680i A1/T1, 680i LT A1/T1 on the list. Dont have the link but search it on the site and you will find it.

What I want to know is the 780i/750i delayed til Dec like everyone is claiming bc of probs with 45nm chips not running right? Is it still on for Nov 12? Grrr

this is a tough time, i'm on the verge of building a new system and it seems like products are coming out faster than ever before. I know you could play the waiting game forever and never actually build, but right now it seems like i'm going to have to wait another few weeks to see what will be coming out

When I first heard the 780i boards were coming out, I was worried that the 680i I acquired a few months ago would be obsolete by the time I get a new CPU/RAM. Guess I don't have much to worry about.

(I have the eVGA 680i board -- I presume it's A1)

Tri sli??? Talk about senseless, Dual SLI in my opinion is overkill for most users (unless you run crazy high resolution). I wish they'd stop this "graphical horsepower" war. Will they come up with anymore ways for the consumer to drain their wallet over stuff they dont need much less ever be able to use??

Exactly !!!! :mad::mad: :eek:

And no one,will ever need more then 640k ram ! :D :p I hope the race gets hot and heavy ASAP,(bring on Larabeed Intel,Nvidia is getting lazy,and AMD/ati are slacking),and speeds up if anything,Bring on more die shrinks,DX11,8800GT class 256+ SP's on a single chip,1 Billion transitor GPU's,dual precision,EDram,etc... Fuck this slowing down crap. :)

Well after playing Crysis I'd go for 3-Way SLI. Unfortunately these boards don't have enough slots for me. I also have a fairly expensive RAID controller that I don't want to sacrifice that's PCI-Express. So someone needs to come up with four usable PCIe x16 slots that all run in at least x8 mode to keep me happy.

Well after playing Crysis I'd go for 3-Way SLI. Unfortunately these boards don't have enough slots for me. I also have a fairly expensive RAID controller that I don't want to sacrifice that's PCI-Express. So someone needs to come up with four usable PCIe x16 slots that all run in at least x8 mode to keep me happy.

Skulltrial. WOOT

Exactly !!!! :mad::mad: :eek:

And no one,will ever need more then 640k ram ! :D :p I hope the race gets hot and heavy ASAP,(bring on Larabeed Intel,Nvidia is getting lazy,and AMD/ati are slacking),and speeds up if anything,Bring on more die shrinks,DX11,8800GT class 256+ SP's on a single chip,1 Billion transitor GPU's,dual precision,EDram,etc... Fuck this slowing down crap. :)

Glad someone else sees things my way. I bet drivers could be written a whole lot better too.

Just one question. You probably won't answer, but as you would probably be baned from getting review hardware your self at Expreview due to the breach of the NDA's. Who are you fronting?

With all of that PCI Express bandwidth, I would think that more than 6 SATA devices would be supported! But I suppose motherboard makers can just put in separate controllers for additional drives for eSATA and a second RAID.

That board is fugly and if you would run 3 slot SLI with double slot boards, forget any 1x cards being used. That is what I don't like about Crossfire and SLI: You lose the use of so many useful slots. Seems to me that we need wider motherboards now so we can have at least a couple usable slots?

Also, only 10 USB support? Why not 12? Doesn't X38 support up to 12?

This seems pretty disappointing over all. Just more PCI Ex bandwidth and that's about it. Will people continue to have memory issues with these when they come out? If there isn't much change I should expect continued problems, right?

nVidia seems to be falling behind, so now it isn't just ATI (with video cards) but nVidia with chipsets. And adding on a separate chip to get that additional bandwidth seems a kludge to me, you are going to lose some performance because of it, too much more that electrons have to move and be processed. They should have integrated it into one chip, this is very disappointing.

With all of that PCI Express bandwidth, I would think that more than 6 SATA devices would be supported! But I suppose motherboard makers can just put in separate controllers for additional drives for eSATA and a second RAID.

That's exactly what they do. I'm sure they'll up the number of SATA ports supported by motherboard south bridges when it becomes cost effective enough, or there is enough market demand to do so.

That board is fugly and if you would run 3 slot SLI with double slot boards, forget any 1x cards being used. That is what I don't like about Crossfire and SLI: You lose the use of so many useful slots. Seems to me that we need wider motherboards now so we can have at least a couple usable slots?

The board isn't fugly in my opinion. It looks almost exactly like the 680i SLI boards which I always liked. (Asthetically speaking anyway.) As for loosing slots, well you are half right. You only lose those slots if you are air cooling. I'm water cooling and therefore all my extra slots are usable.

Also, only 10 USB support? Why not 12? Doesn't X38 support up to 12?

Why so hung up on this? Yes X38 supports 12 USB ports but do you think the bulk of people out there need that many? I know I don't and I have a ton of USB devices attached to my system.

This seems pretty disappointing over all. Just more PCI Ex bandwidth and that's about it.

I agree, but then again we won't know the full story until these boards are reviewed by more sights. I'm hoping that many of the problems that many 680i SLI chipset based boards had get resolved. Issues like quad core overclocking, voltage issues, and a seemingly high failure rate.

Will people continue to have memory issues with these when they come out? If there isn't much change I should expect continued problems, right?

I have no idea.

nVidia seems to be falling behind, so now it isn't just ATI (with video cards) but nVidia with chipsets. And adding on a separate chip to get that additional bandwidth seems a kludge to me, you are going to lose some performance because of it, too much more that electrons have to move and be processed. They should have integrated it into one chip, this is very disappointing.

I agree that NVIDIA is falling behind on their chipsets, the performance alone seems to indicate that. In regard to the features the only area they are falling behind on is USB ports for now. As for adding a seperate chip to get the additional PCIe lanes; so what? Why does that matter? Truthfully most of us aren't semi-conductor engineers. So we have no idea what problems NVIDIA engineers had to overcome in order to reach their goals. Anyway I have to say I don't care how many chips they use provided that the solution is reliable and not too expensive.

Skulltrial. WOOT

No thanks. FB-DIMMs and buying two CPUs? No, not for me. I've been down a similar road before and I have no desire to go down that road again.

lol, yes the 2 heatsink fans are small, but i think i'd prefer them over the DFI 680i LT's hugeass heatsink, especially if i was running sli...

Dan: I have been under the impression that more and more people are using up USB ports like they are going out of style. I myself am using about, oh, 10 and I don't have any "cute gadgets" either.

I use a power USB hub and my G15 has a hub AND I have a USB card too if I ever need it. I like USB stuff, it opened up a whole new big world to computer users. Not everything USB is great, such as the stupid can chiller (that doesn't work according to a review I read), but before USB we couldn't have multiple keyboards, mice, external light, fans, multiple printers, scanners, yadda yadda without a bunch of added junk.

I just like USB a lot and wish that more cases supported more than just two front USB. I also really like Firewire and I am sad that the Firewire 800 never really took off.

I guess the reason I find the board fugly is that there are so many old(ish) PCI legacy slots and I don't like the slot layout. Sure, if you have the cash to lay out for fluid cooling you are good as gold, but that is expensive to do right. What's more, if you're a guy like me that cannot afford to have a motherboard die from a water spill (I'm really poor but scrape up money as hard as I can), well...

I worry about hoses popping off, doesn't it happen pretty often? Ah well, there are non conducting fluids out there, right?

Back