First Nokia-Branded Smartphone Is Exclusive To China

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Nokia is back with their first Android phone—but not fully, since the mobile is actually manufactured by another company that merely licensed the brand, and it won’t even be available anywhere besides China. I don’t think we are missing much; the only spec that seems unique is that it carries Dolby Atmos technology.

The Android device had been highly anticipated and marks Nokia's return to the smartphone market after a series of Windows Phone models. Microsoft briefly used the brand for about a year after buying Nokia's mobile devices unit in 2014. Nokia once dominated the mobile phone market but struggled after the launch of the iPhone a decade ago, and the subsequent release of Google's Android operating system. HMD Global had previously indicated it would release several Nokia-branded Android phones in 2017. It is expected to provide details of at least some of the other launches at another trade show - Barcelona's Mobile World Congress - in February.

There is alot of good phone HW out there on the market besides apple, but I cant stand Android and I've had both several times over many years and always ended back with apple because of the OS and apps. I wonder how much apple would make if they licensed iOS to run on other phones... But just like OSX and Mac's it'll probably never happen even though I can boot OSX on my desktop PC...

Last edited:
There is alot of good phone HW out there on the market besides apple, but I cant stand Android and I've had both several times over many years and always ended back with apple because of the OS and apps. I wonder how much apple would make if they licensed iOS to run on other phones... But just like OSX and Mac's it'll probably never happen even though I cab boot OSX on my desktop PC...
Wish I had iOS on an upgradeable piece of hardware- cannot stand android.

Reactions: TonyZ
like this
Owned 2 different android phones, Samsung Galaxy and some other crap android.
For argument sake have you experienced stock android or just that samsung touchwiz / htc sense crap?

Owned 2 different android phones, Samsung Galaxy and some other crap android.

Thats exactly my point, you didnt get to experience true android. If i loaded an Iphone up with bloatware and an ugly UI i would have the same opinion of an Iphone. Android allows manufactures to customize the user experience. sometimes it saves us money, sometimes it allows innovation -- but usually LG, samsung, HTC, etc muck it up. My wife and I get new phones every 9 months or so, we only buy stock android devices or devices that support clean roms like cyanogenmod. Just got my wife a motorola pure x 32gb unlocked for $249 -- it has a super nice build quality and no ugly bloat or UI -- it also gets updates before most other phones.

It's not bad for the price ~US$250. The specs are decent for its class: Snapdragon 430 w/8 A53 cores and Adreno 505 GPU, 4GB RAM, 64GB flash, 5.5" 1080p LCD, Gorilla Glass 3, Nougat and all the usual features on a modern smartphone.

Thats exactly my point, you didnt get to experience true android. If i loaded an Iphone up with bloatware and an ugly UI i would have the same opinion of an Iphone. Android allows manufactures to customize the user experience. sometimes it saves us money, sometimes it allows innovation -- but usually LG, samsung, HTC, etc muck it up. My wife and I get new phones every 9 months or so, we only buy stock android devices or devices that support clean roms like cyanogenmod. Just got my wife a motorola pure x 32gb unlocked for $249 -- it has a super nice build quality and no ugly bloat or UI -- it also gets updates before most other phones.

It's terrible on the environment for you to go threw new phones so often.

OK Google employee/fanboy. I have no company loyalty whatsoever- it's all business.

OK Google employee/fanboy. I have no company loyalty whatsoever- it's all business.

fanboy
1. A person who is completely loyal to a game or company reguardless of if they suck or not.
2. A pathetic insult often used by fanboys themselves to try and put down people who don't like whatever it is they like.

The above definition better describes you then I. I have nice things to say about all of them, i even liked my nokia's -- i would still be using the nokia if i had access to a decent app store.

fanboy
1. A person who is completely loyal to a game or company reguardless of if they suck or not.
2. A pathetic insult often used by fanboys themselves to try and put down people who don't like whatever it is they like.

The above definition better describes you then I. I have nice things to say about all of them, i even liked my nokia's -- i would still be using the nokia if i had access to a decent app store.
then or than?

Back