First Mod: Side Fan

Citizen86

Supreme [H]ardness
So I thought my case could use a little extra air flow, specifically for the CPU.
First mod, here it is, let's go.

The tools for tonight. Yes those are pink sunglasses, but they are the wife's, she let me use them because I don't have safety goggles:

Before shot:

Cd's are the perfect size for 120mm:

I was really hoping I measured right, but made sure it cleared the drive bays and the bar that runs along the door, so I started cutting and prayed. This was my first time using a dremel on my case, so it was a little exciting, just because I knew how badly I could screw up. First disc broke this far along:

But 3 cutting discs later, I got my hole out, although looking a little rugged (That's what I was going for!)

So I sanded down the edges with a thick grinding disc. Worked alright, but I still want to go to tomorrow to buy a rubber lining to put around it to make it look nicer. Didn't think it could happen with this thick of a grinder, but right as I was finishing POP! This is all I could find of it... going to have to sweep tomorrow:

This is where I started to get tired or just stop thinking, but I taped the fan to see where I should drill... dumb dumb dumb. Anyways, I DID get the holes drilled, but in order to make the holes big enough I did move the drill around a bit............. this fan isn't going to be able to be screwed in like before, as I took off some plastic from each hole. But I do have a spare!:

So I got the spare on, realized that I could drill MUCH easier if I used the grill to plot the holes, which I finished up with, and here is the finished product:

It's keeps the processor a little cooler, not much though, but it was a fun mod, only took about an hour to do. Have to clean it up a bit, and I'm thinking I might buy a clear fan tomorrow with some blue LED's, and also a fan filter. Anyways, I think it looks kind of cool :cool:

http://www.mnpctech.com/UChannel.html

get some of this and you are done...

looks god though man

i have found that a skill saw works better than a dremmel for that.... the cutting wheel is hard to make a circle...

Yeah it was a little difficult... got better as I did it though. I cut it all out on my lap too, put my elbow on the case door between my leg and started cutting (Kept enough distance between the dremel and my legs though ;) )

That was my first mod to. I cut a hole way back in the day in the side of a HP i owned. After that I was looking for stuff to cut up and mod.

looks nice, definitely get some of the molding that someone linked to.

Back