• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

First loop

ishamael56

n00b
Joined
Apr 12, 2007
Messages
5
This is my first time watercooling, and I'd appreciate if you could give me some advise on these parts. For now I'll just be cooling a overclocked e6600, but I may add a gpu later.

Laing DDC w/ Petra's top
Swiftech MCR-320
Swiftech Apogee GT or D-TEK FuZion
7/16 Masterkleer
3 Yate Loon D12SH-12 w/ fan controller
Long life red, PT_Nuke and D-TEK red dye if I want more red

Will there be a difference between the Gt and FuZion? I'm on a pretty tight budget so I don't want to spring for the Apogee GTX.

Any comments would be most welcome.
 
The GT and the fuzion will be within one-another by a few degrees celsius... I'd stay with the GT if you can get it for cheaper, especially with that pump.

You don't need a triple radiator unless you plan to add in a GPU block at a later date.
 
I thought i should get the triple because it is only $10 more than the double and gives me the option of adding more at a later date.

What I forgot to ask was, do I need a shroud for this radiator?
 
This is my first time watercooling, and I'd appreciate if you could give me some advise on these parts. For now I'll just be cooling a overclocked e6600, but I may add a gpu later.

Laing DDC w/ Petra's top
Swiftech MCR-320
Swiftech Apogee GT or D-TEK FuZion
7/16 Masterkleer
3 Yate Loon D12SH-12 w/ fan controller
Long life red, PT_Nuke and D-TEK red dye if I want more red

Will there be a difference between the Gt and FuZion? I'm on a pretty tight budget so I don't want to spring for the Apogee GTX.

Any comments would be most welcome.


I would try and get a Thermochill PA120.3 for the radiator...
I would buy the Fuzion cpu block....:)

A shroud will help a little bit but not a BUNCH..
 
reason I say thermochill is because you can use lower cfm fans and still have great temps..:)

yes thermochills cost more...because they are the pinnacle of performance...why spend a bunch of money on computer parts and then hold it back...:)
 
reason I say thermochill is because you can use lower cfm fans and still have great temps..:)

yes thermochills cost more...because they are the pinnacle of performance...why spend a bunch of money on computer parts and then hold it back...:)

Because a Conroe only outputs about 150w at max, and most of today's GPU's put out 100-220w tops.

No need for a radiator that powerful unless you're going 8800GTX SLI or HD2900XT CF.

It's not night and day either... 30% difference with a yate loon fan over a BIP, less over a MCR radiator.
 
i think I'll stay with the MCR320, thanks guys.

A few more questions. should the fans be pushing or pulling? Also, I've heard that the Laing DDCs die quite often, perhaps from overheating. Is there anything I should do to make sure it stays cool?
 
The pumps don't die from overheating. It's from the amp spike it pulls to get it started. Most of the faulty ones will die immediately within the first few days of usage. After that break-in period, DDC's are no more prone to failure than D5's. The DDC pulls 1.5-2.0a during normal operation but spikes to 7a at startup. Most people believe this to be the problem resulting in burnt components if you have a faulty pump. Laing (the makers of most of the pumps we use) seems to have addressed that in the current revision of the DDC. However, that version hasn't made its way over to the US and Laing doesn't plan to at the current time. They still have a 6 month's supply of the current DDC's.
 
Back
Top