First LCD Question

Ou7k4st

Weaksauce
Hey
I just picked up an lcd on a deal I couldn't pass up. I was able to get a 22" westy lcd out the door for $144.(open box)
Since bringing it home everything seemed fine, but after awhile I noticed the edges of the monitor are alittle brighter then the rest. Its not a large area but it is noticable on all black.

Is this normal or is it a sign of wear or what? Anything I could adjust?

Sounds like backlight bleeding. Is it similar to this (except for the white square in the upper left corner)
bleedkn2.jpg

If so, there isn't anything you can do to fix it at home. If it's not too noticeable I'd just fugettaboutit and enjoy your new monitor. If it's too annoying for you, I'd suggest returning it.

Thats exactly what it is
Like I said its not too bad.. and I guess for $144 I can deal with it :p

Behind the LCD is the backlight then a number of filters some of which help spread the light uniformly.
These filters leak light at their edges which is bouncing around and escaping around the edges of the LCD.

If you are ok with taking things apart and putting them back together well, you can put a thin strip of black tape on the edges of the LCD panel to bulk it up and absorb/block light.
The inside of the casing around where the edges of the LCD are can be painted black to absorb a lot of the light.

Dont use black paper or anything else that will fill the air space inside the LCD as that will stem heatflow away from the backlight and LCD panel, reducing their lives and potentially could be a fire hazard.

Hmm I may look into that.
It only looks to be on the left edge of the monitor

Back