• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

First ITX build: parts list

Synthetickiller

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 5, 2009
Messages
285
Alright, I believe I finally have it down, besides a few things...

Here's what I am certain about ordering:

Case:SG07 w/ window: $210
Ram: G.Skill Eco 4gb ddr3 1600 7-8-7-24: $99.99 ORDERED (promo code @ the egg)
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 $105

Not certain:

1. Processor:
i5 760 2.8ghz (21x multiplier): $210 Should hit 4ghz stable on this board.
i3 550 3.2ghz (24x multiplier): $150 Should have no issues getting to 4.4 or 4.5ghz

2. Heatsink:
Thermalright AXP-140: $51 after bing @ zipzoomfly
(Where to buy the 1156 retention brace?)

3. Fan for Heatsink:
120mm Scythe GT 1850 RPM (own it)
XIGMATEK Cooling System XLF XLF-F1454 140mm LED Blue: $16 shipped
I own the orange version of this fan that I put in a PSU. Runs fine.

I prefer quiet as long as airflow is sufficient.

Another HSF option? I have a117mm of height to work with and I believe that the 180mm penetrator fan should cool the mosfets on its own, but I can't say for certain. I can't block either the pcie or memory slots.


I already own a video card, ssd & HDD, so I'm set there.

This computer will be my main rig for gaming, watching videos, music, maybe enconding the like. It will be faster than my Phenom x4 @ 3.75ghz if I get a quad, not sure about the dual, thats why I want opinions. I prefer a hsf that pushes air on the VRMs and mosfets since they will be the ones to truly suffer, not the cpu itself.

If anyone can give me insight into the 3 parts in question, I'd be most apprecaitive.
 
You can buy the retention kit from thermalright, but I believe it's like $8 before shipping :( Another option would be the Prolimatech Samuel 17, though I don't think any us retailers have it yet. Should be out very soon though since it has been listed on a couple sites.

Edit: Maybe you can't order from them and they just put the price on the site...

Edit2: Performance PCs has it.
 
Last edited:
Thanks. I was hoping not to get stuck buying it, but it seems like I'll be shelling out the cash as I can't seem to find a better cooler that'll fit on this board, even w/ the 117mm clearance.

I think I'll test my GT 1850 before shelling out cash for a fan. I don't have any accessible 140mm fans ATM, so I'll just see what noise levels are before spending any money on one.

What about the CPU? I'm still on the fence. IF someone can argue that a bclk of 191 is very possible with a quad, I'd go that route and do 4ghz. That should provide substantial performance over a dual, eve at 4.5ghz, eh?
 
Thanks. I was hoping not to get stuck buying it, but it seems like I'll be shelling out the cash as I can't seem to find a better cooler that'll fit on this board, even w/ the 117mm clearance.

I think I'll test my GT 1850 before shelling out cash for a fan. I don't have any accessible 140mm fans ATM, so I'll just see what noise levels are before spending any money on one.

What about the CPU? I'm still on the fence. IF someone can argue that a bclk of 191 is very possible with a quad, I'd go that route and do 4ghz. That should provide substantial performance over a dual, eve at 4.5ghz, eh?

I made a thread not too long ago and a couple of guys were really stressing about using the stock cooler on an i3 530/540. I'd imagine it'd be the same story for the 550. Though if you had to go aftermarket I don't see why either of those would be a bad choice.

Kinda overprice for the performance you can get with the AXP.

What is overpriced?
 
Well, I just prefer to NOT use the stock cooler. Dropping temps always helps and sinks like the samuel 17 or AXP-140 help keep mosfets and pwms cooler than the stock sink anyways.

I'm leaning towards the i5 760, since since no one has stated 4ghz is not realistic. Being a quad, I'd feel safer w/ a good heatsink.
 
Back
Top