First iPad reviews out

Serpico

[H]F Junkie
First link from the Wall Street Journal:

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20100331/apple-ipad-review/

Money quote:

I was impressed with the iPad’s battery life, which I found to be even longer than Apple’s ten-hour claim, and far longer than on my laptops or smart phones. For my battery test, I played movies, TV shows and other videos back-to-back until the iPad died. This stressed the device’s most power-hogging feature, its screen. The iPad lasted 11 hours and 28 minutes, about 15% more than Apple claimed. I was able to watch four feature-length movies, four TV episodes and a video of a 90-minute corporate presentation, before the battery died midway through an episode of “The Closer.”

Oh, and all the while during this battery marathon, I kept the Wi-Fi network running and the email downloading constantly in the background. Your mileage may vary, but with Wi-Fi off and the screen turned down from the fairly bright level I used, you might even do better. Music plays far longer with the screen off. On the other hand, playing games constantly might yield worse battery life.

Apple says video playback, Web use and book reading all take about the same amount of juice. When I was doing the latter two tasks for an hour or two at a time, the battery ran down so slowly for me that I stopped thinking about it.

I've read elsewhere that audio without the display on is somewhere along the lines of 140 hours. Video playback is very impressive based on the fact that it uses an IPS display which uses much more power than the TNs in every laptop and cell phone in existence since they have double the transistors. I will not be surprised to see a massive fucking battery taking up most of the space behind the display once the teardown photos come out this weekend.

Post more reviews as you get them. If I buy one (and its still an "if") it won't be until the 3G model comes out, but I am looking forward to getting my hands on one next week.

I've never actually owned an e-reader, but this might be my first, afterall...

I'm looking forward to something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtKkOhMqVhY

Also, Plants vs Zombies! Agh, they're really going to make me buy it for the third time. :/

I already have an e-reader with the Kindle. I'm least enthusiastic about the book thing since I really do like e-paper, but Amazon will be releasing an iPad app and have had an iPhone app forever, so at worst if I don't want to carry two devices but still have access to my Amazon library, it'll be there.

I might have to get one, would be my 1st Apple product. Would be great to have it laying around the house for quick browsing and what not. I'm assuming it's one of those 'always on' kind of device like the iPhone where there's no booting like a traditional laptop/netbook.

Like I expected very nice looking, doesn't really do anything I don't already have.
Should be pretty popular though honestly typing on a touchscreen screen keyboard for long document, BFFR, not gonna do that.

Microsoft needs to get some of these developers on Windows 7 desktop and phone.

I might have to get one, would be my 1st Apple product. Would be great to have it laying around the house for quick browsing and what not. I'm assuming it's one of those 'always on' kind of device like the iPhone where there's no booting like a traditional laptop/netbook.

Correct buy my tablet is always on anyway, boots once a week.

Post more reviews as you get them. If I buy one (and its still an "if") it won't be until the 3G model comes out, but I am looking forward to getting my hands on one next week.

Actually this can be VERY cool. Actually in the city I live in when the wife if driving around town and I've got my tm2 (Verizon 3G) I'm impressed how well that works. Was able to catch the NCAA tournament in the car on the CBS and with only occasional stutters I was able to catch games. Nothing like a hard line, HD was out of the question but I was able to definitely get into the game, got the end of the Butler K-State game.

I wonder how much people will take these things on the go?

Actually this can be VERY cool. Actually in the city I live in when the wife if driving around town and I've got my tm2 (Verizon 3G) I'm impressed how well that works. Was able to catch the NCAA tournament in the car on the CBS and with only occasional stutters I was able to catch games. Nothing like a hard line, HD was out of the question but I was able to definitely get into the game, got the end of the Butler K-State game.

I wonder how much people will take these things on the go?

I stream video on my iPhone all the time. You can already use SlingBox on your iPhone over 3G so an iPad version is surely coming, ditto MLB, CBS, all of the other streaming video apps like Livestream, JustinTV, etc etc, on top of websites like Youtube and Vimeo. Oh, and the upcoming Hulu app. :)

Yeah, I reckon video streaming over cell networks is going to be even more brutal than ever to the phone providers, haha

I stream video on my iPhone all the time. You can already use SlingBox on your iPhone over 3G so an iPad version is surely coming, ditto MLB, CBS, all of the other streaming video apps like Livestream, JustinTV, etc etc, on top of websites like Youtube and Vimeo. Oh, and the upcoming Hulu app. :)

Yeah, I reckon video streaming over cell networks is going to be even more brutal than ever to the phone providers, haha

I do as well on my WinMo phone and I sling with Orb from Windows Media Center. In motion (as in car motion) it doesn't work that well, and I've tried that on a couple of my relatives iPhones and it wasn't so great either. I would think that the 3G radio in a laptop device is simply more powerful, it just seems to work better in motion. Maybe I'm making it up on the iPhone, I just haven't done it enough in motion.

Read the Mossberg review in-depth. His title is belies the content of the article. He clearly likes the device but ends with this:

All in all, however, the iPad is an advance in making more-sophisticated computing possible via a simple touch interface on a slender, light device. Only time will tell if it’s a real challenger to the laptop and netbook.

Not all that ringing of an endorsement from perhaps the biggest Apple fan out there, at least in the mainstream news media. And he review did have a fair number of head scratchers:

I probably used the laptops about 20% as often as normal, reserving them mainly for writing or editing longer documents, or viewing Web videos in Adobe’s (ADBE) Flash technology, which the iPad doesn’t support, despite its wide popularity online.

But just a little further into it he says this:

If you’re mainly a Web surfer, note-taker, social-networker and emailer, and a consumer of photos, videos, books, periodicals and music—this could be for you. If you need to create or edit giant spreadsheets or long documents, or you have elaborate systems for organizing email, or need to perform video chats, the iPad isn’t going to cut it as your go-to device.

So its great at web surfing until you hit Flash, and that's ALL over the web and its a great note taking device until you actual have a good amount of entry to do? Not surprising but a little odd I think.

So it will replace a laptop to a certain point in which case you need a laptop. To be fair he did say this:

My verdict is that, while it has compromises and drawbacks, the iPad can indeed replace a laptop for most data communication, content consumption and even limited content creation, a lot of the time. But it all depends on how you use your computer.

So for light stuff its good, for heavier stuff its not. And yet more expensive than the device that can do the light and heavy stuff though not as attractively.

Yeah, this will do ok for a while but when the HP Slate comes along its going to be a tougher sell if the HP lauches at $500 and is what I'm expecting of it.

Its slick device no doubt about it. But for $500 for just the basics it might be a tough sell. For eReader addicts it will have a LOT of appeal. For mobile gamers I see some great games for this thing. But for I need to actually USE my computer to do work its going to be a tough sell.

But as Mossberg said himself time will tell. Guess I'll at least head over to Best Buy and try one out. Definately would buy one but my new rig is going to cost a bundle and this is definitely not a priority though I may pick one up just for some video reviews. I do honestly want to see how this works compared to my tm2. ESPCIALLY web browsing. That's looks pretty solid but I really want to see what people are going to think about Flash. Even Mossburg admitted he had to ditch the device for something else to watch videos. To me that is a HUGE problem. When you're surfing the web on a device this size a standby device to surf the web better just sounds like constant source of frustration.

So its great at web surfing until you hit Flash, and that's ALL over the web and its a great note taking device until you actual have a good amount of entry to do? Not surprising but a little odd I think.

So it will replace a laptop to a certain point in which case you need a laptop.

I think you're reading what you want to hear, not necessarily what Mossberg is saying. His point in the sections you're quoting is simply the obvious, that the iPad isn't quite what one would want to use for in-depth work. This is pretty obvious, given the form factor. That's not what it was created for.

Not every device has to be a master of all trades.

I wouldn't jump on the first-gen bandwagon with any Apple product. Let everyone else use it and work out the kinks. By the 3rd-gen, it should be a complete product. Has been with every Apple product I've owned where I've bought < 3rd-gen.

I think you're reading what you want to hear, not necessarily what Mossberg is saying. His point in the sections you're quoting is simply the obvious, that the iPad isn't quite what one would want to use for in-depth work. This is pretty obvious, given the form factor. That's not what it was created for.

Not every device has to be a master of all trades.

Not at all. I get that the iPad's usefulness would be dependent on usage patterns. But you cannot deny that he just ain't sure what people are going to think about it.

Plus now people are talking about the iPad as a laptop/netbook replacement. As a complimentary device the iPad has a lot of appeal. As a PRIMARY go to device, sure for people that do light stuff it could be. That's not the issue. Does the iPad offer ENOUGH capability to really replace a laptop? He simply said "it depends". I could have said that.

And that's a a bit of a troubling question at $500. Yes light and great battery life. So if those things are important get an iPad. But there are some very nice $500 laptops that have good battery life, do a lot of what an iPad can't do.

Then you REALLY do have the Windows 7 Desktop tablet x factor. These devices really do all what and iPad does just not as attractively. And hook them up to a monitor and keyboard and now you could have a viable desktop PC replacement. Something you simply can't do with an iPad. And let's not even mention Microsoft's Courier which is a far more intresting device than the iPad.

All I'm saying and the same this Mossberg is saying, you really need to know what you want to do with the device other service I just isn't going to just be "magical" and do stuff its not suited for.

BTW, read the comments on the Mossberg article page. Not glowing overall. There's a lot of doubt about this device because of the history of this form factor more than anything.

I'm just glad its out so that the Tablet Wars can begin!:D

Last edited:
Well, looks like Netflix is going to be available on the iPad at launch. Hulu will follow thereafter.

Edit: Looks like ABC and CBS are also offering free streaming of their TV shows on the iPad: http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/01/netflix-abc-and-1-348-more-ipad-approved-apps-revealed/

Where would Hulu fit into this, especially with rumors that their service would be subscription based?

Yeah, I can't decide if it's an elaborate April Fools joke or not. Would be really sweet though.

So what do you guys plan on doing with your iPads? Will you take them out and about? Just in the house? Carry them like laptops and netbooks?

Ebooks? Watch video? Productivity? Web surfing? Obviously everyone here will game! ;)

I'm looking forward to the iPad to maximize my couch-potatoism. Lightweight web on a larger screen, no more balancing a laptop on my thighs when melting into my sofa? Win!

Yeah, I can't decide if it's an elaborate April Fools joke or not. Would be really sweet though.

Seems true, the files are grabbed from Apple's own web servers, links are in the article. It would be an idiotic April Fool's joke if Apple planted those themselves. :)

So what do you guys plan on doing with your iPads? Will you take them out and about? Just in the house? Carry them like laptops and netbooks?

Ebooks? Watch video? Productivity? Web surfing? Obviously everyone here will game! ;)

At home, web surf, GameFAQs at the couch if I'm super stuck in a game. On the road, movies, games, maps, restaurants, etc. For work, my usual sun path and camera apps. I'm holding out for a photo editing app with the sort of image control you get in programs like Lightroom. Given the IPS display and fast control of a touchscreen, I would actually use this for photo edits over doing the same on my laptop, no question.

Also, Latestchatty.app, the iPhone app for browsing and posting to the Shacknews.com forums, has an iPad version coming. I use it all the time and I may dump using a web browser for the Shack altogether after this.

http://beautifulpixel.com/assets/iPhone_Simulator-20100330-005922.png
http://beautifulpixel.com/assets/iPhone_Simulator-20100330-010003.png
http://beautifulpixel.com/assets/iPhone_Simulator-20100330-010040.png
http://beautifulpixel.com/assets/iPhone_Simulator-20100330-010128.png
http://beautifulpixel.com/assets/iPhone_Simulator-20100330-010159.png
http://beautifulpixel.com/assets/iPhone_Simulator-20100330-010345.png

OH YEAH :D

Every forum should have such an awesome portable app made for it, but then again not all forums are as awesome as the Shack ;)

I am amazed at the 12 hours of continuous video playback thing. That's a heck of a battery.

With a Slingbox, I'll be able to carry my tv with me everywhere I go.

Every forum should have such an awesome portable app made for it, but then again not all forums are as awesome as the Shack ;)

So how would this support hyperlinks? Just curious how well that would flow having to switch between this app and Safari.

http://wikipanion.net/tutorials.html

Maybe this works well and the queue concept is neat but definitely cumbersome versus just clicking the link and seeing the page.

In Wikipanion, when I tap the links in an article, it immediately goes to that article on Wikipedia. It doesn't do anything else but Wikipedia, but why would Hardforum (or any forum) need to be any different? It doesn't have anything to do with Queue mode, btw.

In Wikipanion, when I tap the links in an article, it immediately goes to that article on Wikipedia. It doesn't do anything else but Wikipedia, but why would Hardforum (or any forum) need to be any different?

Huh? I was wondering how well going to a web link inside one of these site apps like the Slashdot app works. There are plenty of external links in forums like [H]. So I'm in the Slashdot iPad app. Click on a link, guess that should open Safari. Then I guess I switch back the Slashdot app when I'm done with the external link?

Huh? I was wondering how well going to a web link inside one of these site apps like the Slashdot app works. There are plenty of external links in forums like [H]. So I'm in the Slashdot iPad app. Click on a link, guess that should open Safari. Then I guess I switch back the Slashdot app when I'm done with the external link?

Ah! See where you're coming from, now.

I plan to buy the case and the dock.. and leave the dock in the kitchen.

With one of the cookbook applications, I think it will make a great addition to the kitchen counter.

I'll tote around my apple bluetooth keyboard if I think I'll need to do some writing (very rare occasions). I plan to use it on the couch at home and pretty much anywhere I go that it is safe to have a device like that.

Ah! See where you're coming from, now.

The thing I hate about site apps is that they kill on of the COOLEST things about HTML, copy and paste.

When ever I come across information that I want to remember like tips here at [H] I paste it into OneNote. I've been doing this for years and I can't even imagine being without this ability or my personal database of web knowledge. Single favorite links don't cut it when you annotate the information.

OneNote doesn't render HTML well but I do this to store data that I can search on and refer to as needed.

This is about the most common and practical thing I do with a computer everyday.

Maybe this works well and the queue concept is neat but definitely cumbersome versus just clicking the link and seeing the page.
Apps can hook directly into the Safari browser. Facebook, for instance. Loads the link right within the app itself.

Arg... eyefinity or iPad... eyefinity or iPad! Two more NEC ea231wmi's for $550 or an iPad... sad thing is I'll use the iPad way more than the eyefinity setup. But one is way cooler than the other. Heatless you and I have debated... I'm tired of my and 15.4 powerbook/13 inch macbook. Too friggin heavy for couch surfing. Dealbreaker would be if the iPad support homesharing through itunes. I need to stream audio and video from my server and if I can't then there goes that. Anyone know... have read a bunch of reviews and no mention.

A brief snippet of reviews here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36133799/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/

From the looks of it, very positive. I'm tempted to take the plunge as well. Something as a note-taker and to take to work or when I don't need a laptop to lug around and its AC adapter "brick" is pretty convenient. And, I'm a heavy user of iTunes since 2004, so this is something for me to consider especially for books and movies.

And, news of ABC and CBS, plus Netflix, dedicated apps for the iPad is pretty much a clincher.

At first, after reading all the anti-Apple comments on Engadget, there are certain things it doesn't do-- multi-tasking, Flash, camera. They're just minor things. For me, I don't need a camera because if I wanted better pictures, I'd use a dedicated digital camera. Plus, I don't do chatting by webcam. I'm too "old school" so prefer typing in IMs. And, I'm not intending to mult-task since I'm mostly on one thing at a time usually sticking to a web browser especially when I'm on the desktop PC. And, Flash, well, the criticism about Flash being a resource hog is true especially when you compare memory usage of Firefox, Chrome and Explorer with and without webpages with Flash on my computer. Moving to a more open standard of relying less on a proprietary plugin to view videos to the more open HTML5 to watch videos encoded in OGG or MP4 (which isn't open standard by any means) is a better alternative.

I may end up getting the 32 GB with 3G+WiFi.

CrazyCuz2k, I remember our conversations!:)

When you say couch surfing what positions are you normally in? Even at 4.5 lbs my tm2 works great on the couch if I'm sitting with my legs bent up and it rests well on my couch's arm rest. Actually reclining back in a chair is one of EASIEST positions for me to the tm2 and I'll ink emails and posts all the time in this position, like Steve Jobs did in his iPad announcement back in January. Though bulky compared to an iPad it actually rests nicely like this.

Just talking ergonomics. Obviously never having seen an iPad I can't attest to its couch ergonomics.

I feel you though. I'm getting ready to build a 3x SLI GTX 480 system, just bought an i7-980x (that's two cheap iPads there) and have about another $4k I'll need to spend this month and to top it all of the Zune HD 64 GB comes out the 12th! So the iPad can wait for me since I already have the functionality.

But yeah, one cool thing about Windows tablets is that they run Windows! HomeGroups are sweet on this thing! I can browse to my recorded TV shows and play them right from Windows Explorer. All through touch and while not flashy it gets the job done efficiently.

But since I have a PC hooked to my 55" TV Its kind of something I don't do from the couch. I abed at night its Kind of neat. Plug in head phones so as not to disturb the wife and it's the ultimate media playback device. And I can actually surf too while to watch something. The setup is just flexible as hell.:D

Something as a note-taker and to take to work or when I don't need a laptop to lug around and its AC adapter "brick" is pretty convenient. And, I'm a heavy user of iTunes since 2004, so this is something for me to consider especially for books and movies.

What Kind of laptop do you have that you need carry a power brick with you and how long are your meetings?;)

I get 4 hours out of my tm2 and can EASILY push that up to six if I power conserve. So with a spare battery that's 8 to 12 hours of runtime which pretty much covers any senavio in my life.

But the iPad as a note taker? Honestly do not get that. Simple stuff maybe but who types faster on a touchscreen keyboard than a physical one? And since I'm in IT I end up with lots of diagrams in my notes where nothing beats a pen.

Note taking, is just something I'd NEVER do with an iPad and I have a feeling that's what most people are going to do as well.

Yeah.. that's the issue... no arm rests. It's not a couch it's more of a lounge chair. I change positions frequently. Have it propped up on my knees. Hold it up on one hand and type with the other. That lasts like 15 minutes. Have it lying next to me and type with one hand. And worst of all sitting upright and typing it on the coffee table. :p Hey I'm at a desk all day! I've got 2 media centers hooked up to the lcd in the living room and the projector in the home theater in the basement. And stream from my xbox 360 in my bedroom so I'm really not all that interested in watching hulu and movies on the ipad. More interested in youtube vids or hardocp vids :p. Or even audio for that matter as I've got ipod docks or airport expresses that support wireless itunes in all the areas I listen too.

I have all my recorded media on my server and access them through mediabrowser in media center. No KB/mouse in my media centers... remote connect if I have to do anything. So yeah... right now I'm just looking for the perfect living room internet appliance. :p Which is where I spend most of the time when I'm home. Watching a game and surfing the web.

On vacation today and was downstairs actually on the couch when I thought a picture is worth a thousand words so I grabbed my camera. The tm2 in slate mode is an EXCELLENT couch device:

Couch%20Potato%2001.jpg

Actually in this position its size and weight might be ergonomically superior to the iPad. It just stays in place without holding it.

Took this shot, loaded the SD into the tm2 and uploaded it, all from the couch all in slate mode using pen and touch. For me inking any significant amount of text just kicks the shit out out of on OSK.

Do this stuff all the time and its just one reason why I get on Apple so much with the hype. Magical has been part of my daily routine for some time.

So how would this support hyperlinks? Just curious how well that would flow having to switch between this app and Safari.

You don't switch between the app and Safari. The iPhone version of Latestchatty handles hyperlinks by opening a new Safari screen within the app itself. When you're done you just hit the back button in the top left corner and you go straight to the app screen you linked from.

Either way, you don't need to switch apps over to Safari in order to view web pages if the browser is written into the app itself. A couple others I have like Facebook also use this, works great.

Last edited:
Back