First Impressions: Metro 2033

AndroidVageta

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
469
Awesome...so far. Very cinematic and atmospheric...awesome locations and scenes. No STALKER, thats for sure.

Gun play is light and definitely not the stronger point of the game, but I dont think its supposed to be.

Graphics are TOP NOTCH and even on my quad rig with Crossfired 4890's I have to turn down the AA a little. Only problem with graphics is that for one the aspect ratio doesnt scale right...running 1680x1050 is not widescreen...running a 22' CRT, so at widescreen resolutions I just adjust my monitors vertical height...it works, but at 1680x1050 I have to set the vertical height to the standard 4:3...1680x1050 not widescreen? I dont know. Also the graphic properties are not adjustable! You can adjust resolution, DX type, and AA/AF type. All the other options like texture resolution, SSAO, shadows, etc are not individually adjustable...even though the options screen shows you what they are at in relation to your "low, medium, high, very high" setting.
In either case, the graphics are definitely top of the line...this IS A PC GAME TO THE FULLEST! DX10 looks absolutely amazing...dont really see how DX11 could look much better sans tessellation, which from screen shots Ive seen doesnt do that much for the game.

Controls and audio are top notch! Awesome voice acting, again, its not a STALKER game like some people would think seeing where it comes from and who was on the development team. Everyone that talks sounds like they are real and actually talking to you...not reading off of a script. Again, top of the line!

Ill report some more in a little while when I get more into it.

Also! I have Advanced Physx on just to see what would happen...I dont know if this detects a Nvidia card or what not, but its not slow at all, and stuff like cloth and props have realistic physics...I dont know if its the Physx or not...but in either case, it runs and runs smooth!
 
Wow...these environments and settings...I mean, honestly, the first Crysis competition in my eyes...

Realllllllly enjoying it so far!!!
 
Screenshots or are you going to continue talking to yourself?;)
 
Yes, it very pretty and the environments are well done.

I think cloth and props have realistic physics already so I am not sure if Advanced Physx is doing that. Maybe it enhances it. I'll have to go try it and see if I get a performance hit.
 
does the PhysX actually add anything to the gameplay this time?...or is it another Arkham Asylum with paper flying around being the biggest advantage?
 
does the PhysX actually add anything to the gameplay this time?...or is it another Arkham Asylum with paper flying around being the biggest advantage?

You mean like how Half Life 2 had puzzles requiring the use of physics?

I've only played an hour or so of the game so I don't know. Haven't seen anything of that nature yet, and it is probably unlikely.
 
You mean like how Half Life 2 had puzzles requiring the use of physics?

I've only played an hour or so of the game so I don't know. Haven't seen anything of that nature yet, and it is probably unlikely.

I meant does the PhysX enhance the gameplay in any noticable way versus those that don't have an Nvidia PhysX card
 
I highly doubt it...to do that would mean that if you dont have a Physx that means you wouldnt be able to play the game...

Think of it like this...if there was a puzzle in a game that required the use of physics but it could only be done using the Physx software and Nvidia graphics card then everyone using ATi or Intel GMA they wouldnt be able to play.

I dont know what the Physx effects are in this game, but if they are there it might just be something like dynamic or ripping cloth and perhaps dynamic smoke/particles...nothing that should take away from the gameplay.
 
Im not going to give ANYTHING away...but I will say that there is something more happening here than what you have seen and read in previews...something...else...
 
ive been playing it for the last 90 mins or so, and it seems interesting so far. what surprises me most is how well it runs on my system. of course what im about to say may be debatable by some.

the 5770 seems to be massivly bandwidth limited here. 1600x1200 ultra high dx11 (the 2 dx11 options off) gets me about 20-25fps on teh start screen. 1024x768 ultra high dx11 gets me 70fps, and playing at that res is more then acceptable to me.
 
the game requires Steam to run correct?...meaning if I buy the retail boxed version I still will need to play the game through Steam right?
 
Anyone know if 4gigs of ram is enough for this game? I have the option to get 4 more gigs for a total of 8. Only reason I ask is I thought I saw someplace that it said 8gigs + of ram. Will I see an improvement going from 4 to 8?
 
High settings with 4X AF and the game is just playable, i'd say (haven't properly looked) i'm getting about 30 FPS. Probably the first time in two years i wish i had a faster computer.
 
Game looks amazing and not just graphically. The atmosphere and environment is just awesome. I've only played an hr and this game definitely has my attention. The menu is a bit quirky tho and so is the mouse sensitivity. But I just click my G9 to a lower DPI and all is well. This game is nothing like STALKER for those wondering :)
 
I was on the fence about getting this game but after all the positive remarks, looks like I'll have to check it out. Glad I just upgraded to a QX9650!
 
It still looks very good even when I turn it down to DX9 and "High" settings, but as far as gameplay goes it's becoming hit-and-miss. I just finished the sequence with the little boy which was incredible as it comes just after a "stand your ground" sequence which I came out of with no ammo for my AK or arrow gun and only 12 for the revolver. But sometimes the game feels a bit tedious, due mostly to the lack of a quicksave. Sometimes it's grabbing me by the sack and scaring the shit out of me, feeling like an excellent cross between FEAR and Stalker and making me work, and other times it feels really, really generic.

There have been a few firefights where I've cleared a room and then gone exploring up ladders and so on, before falling from the ceiling and having to start it all over. Doing this several times before reaching the dark corner you were working towards to find it's empty is annoying, just because I didn't take that one step further to trigger the autosave. Can't stop doing it though, find excellent weapons by exploring.

It's the opposite of Crysis almost, fighting the humans is just boring compared to the mutants. The little rat-dog things with human faces, the most basic - apparently - monsters still make me jump. Very tense and very fun.
 
Voice acting's been fine for me except for the children, which are obviously voiced by American kids putting on a bad Russian accent. You think the voice acting in this is bad you should go and play DA:O. Torturous.
 
Voice acting's been fine for me except for the children, which are obviously voiced by American kids putting on a bad Russian accent. You think the voice acting in this is bad you should go and play DA:O. Torturous.

I dont think those are American kids...I think that just at that age the accent isnt as strong as it is when they get older and the voice deepens. Or maybe its just a generation thing...British accents amount the younger crowd isnt near as strong as it is on older adults.
 
I dont think those are American kids...I think that just at that age the accent isnt as strong as it is when they get older and the voice deepens. Or maybe its just a generation thing...British accents amount the younger crowd isnt near as strong as it is on older adults.

They sound very, very American to me. But then I've sat through two decades of films with American actors playing Irish, Scottish, English, Russian, French and whatever else characters so poorly that it's probably polluted my knowledge of existing accents.
 
How is the field of view?

I didn't realise that it was the FOV making me feel so uncomfortable until I read how to change it here. I've since fiddled the config and it's a lot easier to play. It felt like I was playing with my nose squished up against my screen until that point.
 
I just keep it in Russian w/ english subtitles for a more "authentic" feel to it. :D
 
They sound very, very American to me. But then I've sat through two decades of films with American actors playing Irish, Scottish, English, Russian, French and whatever else characters so poorly that it's probably polluted my knowledge of existing accents.

Perhaps...I know that when my cousin was young (like 5 years old, around there) he sounded for lack of a better term "normal"...it wasnt until later when he got older and all that he started getting his southern accent...like I said, not being hateful or anything, I just think that the younger you are the less your accent is until you get older...
 
Only problem with graphics is that for one the aspect ratio doesnt scale right...running 1680x1050 is not widescreen...running a 22' CRT, so at widescreen resolutions I just adjust my monitors vertical height...it works, but at 1680x1050 I have to set the vertical height to the standard 4:3...1680x1050 not widescreen?

I didn't understand a single thing about that sentence.
 
When stalker came out i played it in russian, with english subtitles. Immersion doesen't get any better than that.
 
When stalker came out i played it in russian, with english subtitles. Immersion doesen't get any better than that.

Probably way better than painfully bad English voice acting.

"Hideee-hooo!" "What's up, bro?"
 
Probably way better than painfully bad English voice acting.

"Hideee-hooo!" "What's up, bro?"

I always thought the cheesy acting in Stalker was intentional, like a parody of stoney-faced serious acting in most games. The rasta trader in Clear Sky and so on.
 
I didn't understand a single thing about that sentence.

LOL! Yeah, didnt think it through so well...basically, unless its just me...widescreen resolutions (like 1680x1050) actually come out fullscreen 4:3 aspect ratio...make sense? Is there anyway to adjust the aspect ratio?
 
Probably way better than painfully bad English voice acting.

"Hideee-hooo!" "What's up, bro?"

LOL! I remember when I first heard this...never got old "What's up bro?"...lol...

I always thought the cheesy acting in Stalker was intentional, like a parody of stoney-faced serious acting in most games. The rasta trader in Clear Sky and so on.

I honestly would hope its intentional...if not, then they need to get new voice actors...3 games in a row...
 
LOL! Yeah, didnt think it through so well...basically, unless its just me...widescreen resolutions (like 1680x1050) actually come out fullscreen 4:3 aspect ratio...make sense? Is there anyway to adjust the aspect ratio?

That's strange, have you tried playing around with your graphics card's settings?

Also is it at least a proper 4:3 or widescreen squished in to the 4:3 ratio?
 
You think the voice acting in this is bad you should go and play DA:O. Torturous.

Whoa, wait....what? You have got to be kidding. DA:O had some of the best voicing in any game I have ever played. What do you consider good voice acting then?! yikes
 
I rented Metro 2033 for the 360. The game's presentation is incredibly slick - everything from the graphics, the unique first-person-view of the gasmask and some of the in-game events. Hell, even the title screen looks awesome. There are quite a few low-res textures but the darkness and overall polish certainly make up for it.

Some of the guns are quite creative and clever. Despite its low power and accuracy, I quite like the "bastard gun". The modified AKs and VSSs are fun too.

In my opinion, this has the best single-player of any FPS of 2010. Really enjoying it.
 
Whoa, wait....what? You have got to be kidding. DA:O had some of the best voicing in any game I have ever played. What do you consider good voice acting then?! yikes

What character class did you pick? I went with the human noble warrior or whatever, and came incredibly close to shitting in my DVD drive, the dialogue was so forced and stilted.

Have you ever seen The Departed? You listen to Ray Winstone trying to do a Boston accent in that, see how hard you cringe, and then extrapolate that to just about any American actor portraying anything other than an American. It's something that's always puzzled me, how America is so multi-cultural and yet the actors and audiences seem to be COMPLETELY oblivious when it comes to the affectation of any sort of accent.

I was willing to accept Android's suggestion that perhaps the children in this were played by kids whose accents hadn't "grown in", but every one of my friends that played this came out and said the exact same thing about how they sound so American. Besides, I'd be really surprised if a six/ten year-old Russian kid could speak English so well as to sound American.

Odd how something seems to be quite insignificant until you see it done badly. Both DA:O and Metro had my toes curling with the voice acting. I wish I'd seen the option to have the audio in Russian.
 
Jellylesg, what is your opinion on Simon Templeman's performance of Teyrn Loghain? IMHO, his voice acting is nothing short of superb. Every time Teyrn opened his mouth in DA:O, I admit I felt a little emasculated! :eek: Especially during the lands meet.

Sorry if we are off topic... Mods please do with me what you must...Jelly's comment on DA:O caught me by surprise that is all.
 
Just bought and downloading.

The game looks like Stalker: Underworld. How close is it to Stalker's atmosphere?
 
Jellylesg, what is your opinion on Simon Templeman's performance of Teyrn Loghain? IMHO, his voice acting is nothing short of superb. Every time Teyrn opened his mouth in DA:O, I admit I felt a little emasculated! :eek: Especially during the lands meet.

Sorry if we are off topic... Mods please do with me what you must...Jelly's comment on DA:O caught me by surprise that is all.

I should clarify: I wasn't referring to the main characters for the most part, but the supporting actors during the single starting area/wilds I played through. The mother, the father, Ser Gilmore or whatever, the Cook and her servants all made me want to gouge some eyes. The people that are clearly professional voice actors are exempt (and I did only play for about three hours in total, so I'll easily concede that I'm probably wrong. Like I say, the disclaimer is that I only played the single Castle starting area and Wilds).
 
Back
Top