• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

First i7 930 review

Nice, thanks for sharing

The article seems to imply that its based on 920 D0 stepping, so I guess it would be a safer buy since its guaranteed not to get those older stepping. I wonder though if that what appears to be slightly better oc result is consistent across all 930 chips or just a few lucky ones:confused:

Anyway, I'll probably wait for more reviews before buying myself a 920/930
 
I too will wait for more overclocking results. It is simply too early to tell if the i7 930 really has the 'conclusive' overclocking potential that Bit-Tech writes about.
 
But if Gulftowns are to be released in what like 2 weeks or so, why go with a 4 core when you can get 6?
 
But if Gulftowns are to be released in what like 2 weeks or so, why go with a 4 core when you can get 6?

i7 930= $298

i7 980X= $1000-$1200

there's around $700-$800 reasons to get the i7 930 over the Gulftown :D
 
hmmm I just bought my 920... but at $200 I still think its a great deal. I could always upgrade to gulftown when I feel the 920 isn't fast enough....lol
 
Little bit weaksauce.

I was kind of hoping that after 15 months there would be a little bit more than a small incremental upgrade at that price point, like maybe add the superior Lynnfield version of Turbo and/or a shrink something.

Guess intel isn't in competition there, all the action is in the 1156 market segment :p
 
I don't see in replacing the legend 920 since there is only one difference is that x1 multiplier more then the 920. Also all cpus overclock different regardless of batches. I bet there will be some 930 will overclock less the some 920's and the other way around.
 
If your looking and can get a 920 cheaper atm grab that, it will overclock the same as its really much the same processor. Never heard of a 920 that won't hit a lousy 2.8Ghz lol. Honestly can't see the 930 being a better overclocker as the cause of the ceiling with the 920 is not the multiplier.
 
So i can get a 920 for $200 or a 930 for $250, or a 750 for $180 (or even $150 sometimes when they have deals)... I can't make my mind up given the review...
 
on ocn there is at least one review stating he got a great overclock.

I'm new, and I didn't see anything in the rules about linking to ocn.....please edit if I am wrong:

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/669521-got-i7-930-a.html

I wish I would have waited for the 32nm technology, but I guess with computers I would always be waiting. This technology changes so fast...(edit....When are 32nm lga1366 core i7's coming out?, lol)
 
on ocn there is at least one review stating he got a great overclock.

I'm new, and I didn't see anything in the rules about linking to ocn.....please edit if I am wrong:

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/669521-got-i7-930-a.html

I wish I would have waited for the 32nm technology, but I guess with computers I would always be waiting. This technology changes so fast...(edit....When are 32nm lga1366 core i7's coming out?, lol)

Thanks for sharing the link, nothing wrong with posting that, AFAIK;)

By the end of this month, there will be the 6 core 980X which will be 32nm, but it comes with the Extreme CPU price, way too expensive for many of us :p
 
Well for my money I would still go with a 920 and make sure it is a D0. Unless Intel comes out with a second batch of 930's that can hit up near the 4.6GHz range (which would be crazy). I really don't see the appeal of i5 other than the price, since compared to i7 the PCI-Express lanes are crippled.
 
In 2009, most people were saying that 32nm would be ready by Q4 2009. That time has come and gone. I did some looking and haven't found any updated roadmaps. Intel, if you could have my 32nm i7 ready by March 12th, that'd be great. Thanks.

Found this unfortunate bit of reporting:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Intel-Might-Not-Launch-32nm-Quad-Core-Chips-in-2010-130915.shtml
Fudzilla reported that Intel's roadmap “is filled with either Nehalem or Lynnfield based 45nm quads” and that no plans seem to be in the works for similar chips based on the more advanced and less costly 32nm manufacturing process. The rumor implies that, besides the upcoming dual core 32nm chip with 45nm graphics circuits, only the six-core Core i7 980X 32nm Gulftown chip is currently being focused on. The roadmap supposedly doesn't include any quad core 32nm chips in the near future.

The Gulftown chip will, according to Fudzilla, likely be the only six-core processor released by the Santa Clara-based company during the next year. The report also mentions that quad-core 32nm-based processors are a very likely development, but only for the post-2010 period. Until then, Intel allegedly plans to introduce only the aforementioned 45nm-based quad-core CPUs.

The report states that the only thing that might drive Intel towards launching a faster six-core processor is strong competition from Advanced Micro Devices, although, currently, there are no rumors to suggest such a development on the latter’s side.

Of course, rumors are rumors and can go both ways. Fudzilla's report only stated that “there are no indications that 2010 will get a new 32nm quad.” Until any official announcements are made, however, end-users should pair this report with the mandatory grain of salt.
 
In 2009, most people were saying that 32nm would be ready by Q4 2009. That time has come and gone. I did some looking and haven't found any updated roadmaps. Intel, if you could have my 32nm i7 ready by March 12th, that'd be great. Thanks.

Patience. When they do come out, they will be worth the wait. :)
 
Back
Top