First HPCC Build - gimme some feedback please

The Mangler

Weaksauce
I have a Tivo2 thats about to be junk when OTA TV goes digital in a few weeks, and would like to replace the tivo with an htpc. Cost of a new Tivo is more that a decent PC, and I'm tired of Tivo putting adds on all there screens.

Use of this setup will be for music, media center, vieos, surfing, maybe some games.

The setup so far is:
Vista professional or Win 7
Intel mATX DG33TL - this has onboard sound, and video. I want a better Video card as this is probably not strong enough to do HD for a nice LCD tfv.

e5200 processor
4gb ram - 4x1gb
WD 640GB - 3.5
Samsung DVD R/W
Logitech diNovo Edge Keyboard

It needs to fit in a firefly case. I need a wireless card or usb device, a video card, and a TV tuner card.

I'm thinking of the Hauppauge 2250 for a tuner card as id like dual tuners. For the wireless, ill probable get a rosewell usb wireless N connector. Video, no idea what i need yet.

Thanks for your input.

I have a Tivo2 thats about to be junk when OTA TV goes digital in a few weeks, and would like to replace the tivo with an htpc. Cost of a new Tivo is more that a decent PC, and I'm tired of Tivo putting adds on all there screens.

Use of this setup will be for music, media center, vieos, surfing, maybe some games.

The setup so far is:
Vista professional or Win 7
Intel mATX DG33TL - this has onboard sound, and video. I want a better Video card as this is probably not strong enough to do HD for a nice LCD tfv.

e5200 processor
4gb ram - 4x1gb
WD 640GB - 3.5
Samsung DVD R/W
Logitech diNovo Edge Keyboard

It needs to fit in a firefly case. I need a wireless card or usb device, a video card, and a TV tuner card.

I'm thinking of the Hauppauge 2250 for a tuner card as id like dual tuners. For the wireless, ill probable get a rosewell usb wireless N connector. Video, no idea what i need yet.

Thanks for your input.

Just get any board that is a Nvidia 9300/9400 (since your going with an Intel chip). The onboard video will allow you to play everything over HDMI and 1080p at that.

Just get any board that is a Nvidia 9300/9400 (since your going with an Intel chip). The onboard video will allow you to play everything over HDMI and 1080p at that.

From what I understand he already has the hardware, he just (really) needs a video card. Not a $100+ mobo when he could get a $50/60 video card and still get the same functionality.

Op, pick up a 4550/4650. I've got one of those Roswell N dongles and like it, works well for me. The 2250 is a very good card, going to get one for myself here pretty soon.

DON'T USE A 64-BIT OS! NOTHING BUT HEADACHES!

From what I understand he already has the hardware, he just (really) needs a video card. Not a $100+ mobo when he could get a $50/60 video card and still get the same functionality.

Op, pick up a 4550/4650. I've got one of those Roswell N dongles and like it, works well for me. The 2250 is a very good card, going to get one for myself here pretty soon.

DON'T USE A 64-BIT OS! NOTHING BUT HEADACHES!

Didnt realize he already had the above listed parts. In that case pick up a cheap video card. I would suggest one however without a DVI to HDMI dongle. I have a 4870x2 and with the dongle to do DVI to HDMI my receiver will not pick up the audio. I purchased a cheap Gigabyte 4550 to augment it (since I need to drive 3 displays later) and use just straight HDMI and it works beautifully with my Integra 5.9 receiver and Panasonic 59" TV..

What do you think of this video card -

HIS HD 4670 1GB HDCP Ready Video Card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161266

Its decent, however since your thinking HTPC I would try to get a graphics card with a HDMI connection built in. Using a DVI to HDMI dongle seems to cause many receivers problems. I am just throwing this card out there, but it might meet your needs. I went with a slightly expensive card since you do mention you might be gaming on this rig. If not gaming you can go cheaper, but I still recommend getting one with a built in HDMI port.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125258

How about a Radeon 4850. I have it on my HTPC and it does fine. Play TF2 at times too.

Back