• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

First Hi-Fi Setup.. DT880+Headroom Micro

Elderblaze

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 28, 2005
Messages
212
Got this combo today and I gotta say im pretty floored hehe.. I've never heard anything hifi before.. that's so sad.. and im 24 years old lol. This combo so totally owns my Promedia 5.1's it's not even funny. It sounds like going from clock radio to a mid-fi stereo hehe. I was a huge skeptic of amps, but I gotta say this Headroom Micro (With Desktop Module) is very impressive, the build quality is outstanding, the crossfeed is cool, it easily powers DT880s, with variable gain switch, comes with a PSU, and is portable (Dual 9V batteries).. wish I could compare it to other amps but this is the only thing i've ever heard, wonder how it stacks up to Gilmore Lite, Cmoy, Pimeta, PPA, M3.. im guessing PPA/M3 would be better and this would be better then most pimeta... lol im trapped now I swore I wouldent spend anymore money but now im wondering if i'd see much improvment with the Micro DAC and Desktop Power Supply. Anyone know how that Headroom Micro DAC compares to X-FI line out?

Regards,
Mike
 
Nice. I recently made the plunge myself and got some DT990s. Couldn't afford an amp though so I am running them directly out of my sound card. I'm VERY impressed and hoping to get an amp this xmas so I can experience..what you're having. :p
 
Powering a decent pair of headphones properly would make the biggest difference. And you're already doing that. So any upgrades can come at your leisure. If I couldn't spend over $1000 on a phone but was free to do whatever I wanted with the rest of the set-up, the DT880's would so far be what I'd pick. Good choice :D
 
I am awaiting my DT 770 PRO and Pimeta amp. No way your amp is better though I have absolutely no knowledge about amps just have to be a !!!!!! :D
 
Gilmore lite was on my short list of options, though it's not portable, dosent have the crossfeed (that is very highly regarded by all who try it) option that the Headroom Micro has, I don't even think it has a gain switch, though it might. Mostly though it gets reviews as being a fairly "Forward, bright" amp. That's not at all what you want with 880's. It sure is a sexy amp though. I read alot about both of them, im fairly certain the lite dosent have any big sound quality advantages other then signature preference. I also like the fact that headroom makes a matching DAC for future upgrades.

Regards,
Mike

Edit, I know the M3 is better then all of the ones I listed, the PPA probably is too (dunno) just wonder how much better they are.
 
Back
Top