First game I should play after 4 years?

Le037

Limp Gawd
I just bought a new comp at Newegg to replace my Pentium 4 and Radeon 9600. It's an i7 920 and a GTX 295. I haven't played any new games since Doom 3 cause my computer couldn't run them. What game should I buy first? Crysis? Crysis Warhead? Fallout 3? Give me some suggestions!

Quake 4
Farcry 2
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Dead Space
Fallout 3
Oblivion
Medal of Honor Airborne
Brothers in Arms Hells Highway
UT3
COD4
COD5

Those are just a few

The Orange Box, pretty much every Valve game
STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl
STLAKER Clear Sky
The Witcher
Warcraft 3
Company of Heroes
Mass Effect

I think it's time to change your sig. ;)

Start with Bioshock

bsvx6.png

No Crysis to check out my new GPU? Haha. Yeah I've been wanting to play COD4.

bioshock looks nice but is a pretty generic game beneath the glitz.

Quake 4
Farcry 2
Crysis
Crysis Warhead
Dead Space
Fallout 3
Oblivion
Medal of Honor Airborne
Brothers in Arms Hells Highway
UT3
COD4
COD5

Those are just a few

Egad you have bad taste in games.

DO NOT WASTE TIME OR MONEY on Quake 4, MOH Airborne (ESPECIALLY not this pile of vile turd), UT3 or BIA:HH (and probably not COD5 either).

Games definitely worth buying are:

HL2 + Ep1 + Ep2
TF2
Chronicles of Riddick
Company of Heroes
Warcraft 3
Age of Empires 3
Farcry 1

Crysis
Orange Box
Far Cry 1
Painkiller
action RPGs-
The Witcher
Mass Effect

Queke 4 and MOH Airborn are pretty good, Bioshock and cod 4 are a pile of bull.

DO NOT WASTE TIME OR MONEY on Quake 4, MOH Airborne (ESPECIALLY not this pile of vile turd), UT3 or BIA:HH (and probably not COD5 either).

HL2 + Ep1 + Ep2
TF2
Chronicles of Riddick
Company of Heroes
Warcraft 3
Age of Empires 3
Farcry 1

Aorry to offend you with GAMES THAT I LIKE to play........ Could have been worse I could have suggested he get Blacksite Area 51..... geez

HL2 + Ep1 + Ep2
TF2
Chronicles of Riddick
Company of Heroes
Warcraft 3
Age of Empires 3
Farcry 1

look who's talking...farcry 1? lol He said he hasn't gamed for 4 years, not 4 decades.

look who's talking...farcry 1? lol He said he hasn't gamed for 4 years, not 4 decades.

It still shits on most games from the last 4 decades, let alone the tripe shoved out by devs in the last 12 months.

Edit: apart from the fact that it was actually released in 2004 :rolleyes:

Aorry to offend you with GAMES THAT I LIKE to play........ Could have been worse I could have suggested he get Blacksite Area 51..... geez

Im not offended that you enjoy playing crap games, but the OP might be offended if he wastes money on those crap games as a result of your suggestions. Geeze indeed.

Im not offended that you enjoy playing crap games, but the OP might be offended if he wastes money on those crap games as a result of your suggestions. Geeze indeed.

You're a real piece of work there pal. How about stop talking shit about subjective game preferences as if your taste was somehow amazing. Your list leaves a hell of a lot to be desired, but hey, if you like trash, don't begrudge someone else liking it too.

Why don't we start by asking what type of games you like to play. COD4 was fantastic IMO and you should give that a try. I'm having a lot of fun with L4D right now. But are you more interested in what kind of eye candy you can achieve with your nice new rig?

Definately depends on what genres you are into. I am more of an FPS/ACTION guy and Portal is probably my favorite game. Other than that, I still play CSS.

I also just started Dead Space last night and am really liking it. Graphics are good. It is however in 3rd person perspective.

wtf ya'll are terrible lol

Half-Life 2 Orange Box *
Left 4 Dead (it will get old fast but its fun)
Call of Duty 4 *
Bioshock

GRID *
Dirt

The Witcher *
Fall Out 3

Company of Heroes *
World in Conflict *

Crysis
Crysis: Warhead
3dMark Vantage
FarCry 2
Unreal Tournament 3

I listed Crysis and Warhead along with 3dmark Vantage because gamewise it's terrible but it looks pretty. Same with Farcry 2/UT 3 so ONLY buy them if you want to see eyecandy.

* is a personal recommendation

if you're wanting to test the horsepower under the hood def pick up crysis! it is a beeeeeautiful game and fun enough to get into.

COD 4 is where it's at for recent fps's though. it also looks nice with all gfx cranked.

hmmmm.....

so

FPS - COD 4, half-life 2, and of course crysis.

RPG - oblivion, the withcer, and titan quest will keep you busy for days.

i know when i built my first comp. i was more worried about tweaking vid settings etc. 4 years and one vid card upgrade later i'm actually using my comp to PLAY games. LOL

Portal is a definite must play also - don't spoil it by reading about it or watching videos of it etc - just go in blind.

(Portal is included in some of the game 'packages' on steam (for example the orange box), in which case its cheaper than buying stand-alone)

Civilization 4 and the expansion packs Warlords and Beyond the Sword, if you have love for RTS'es.

wtf ya'll are terrible lol

Half-Life 2 Orange Box *
Left 4 Dead (it will get old fast but its fun)
Call of Duty 4 *
Bioshock

GRID *
Dirt

The Witcher *
Fall Out 3

Company of Heroes *
World in Conflict *

Crysis
Crysis: Warhead
3dMark Vantage
FarCry 2
Unreal Tournament 3

I listed Crysis and Warhead along with 3dmark Vantage because gamewise it's terrible but it looks pretty. Same with Farcry 2/UT 3 so ONLY buy them if you want to see eyecandy.

* is a personal recommendation

+1 for GRID, it's an awesome game!

If I had that PC, the first thing I'd fire up is Crysis, lol

Seriously, I enjoyed Crysis alot, not only because its graphically amazing (I only have a 9800GTX+, so it runs without all the graphics bells and whistles) but its gameplay was amazing for me. The nanosuit capabilities changes the gameplay which makes it unique. Though I prefer some "cheating" where you can actually move around in cloak mode without draining all the power. Gives you more tactical options.

I also just started Dead Space last night and am really liking it. Graphics are good. It is however in 3rd person perspective.

I recommend this also.
Past 4 years have had a number of very generic games. Clone shooters and very few RTS or RPG worth playing.

Dead Space is a refreshing game in a pile of flash in the pan clones.

CoD4.

Simple, straightforward action. You get a gun, you shoot baddies, and you have a great time. Cinematic and engaging, but not so involved as to be quite as challenging as Bioshock.

Am I the only one that's not found Bioshock so fun? I got it in the January sales on Steam and I played a few hours and just can't make myself start it up again. It's ok, it's just not good.

CoD4.

Simple, straightforward action. You get a gun, you shoot baddies, and you have a great time. Cinematic and engaging, but not so involved as to be quite as challenging as Bioshock.

Am I the only one that's not found Bioshock so fun? I got it in the January sales on Steam and I played a few hours and just can't make myself start it up again. It's ok, it's just not good.

Bioshock challenging? It's one of the easiest games I've ever played due to the game mechanics.

Sins of a Solar Empire
Spore
Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
Mirror's Edge

Bioshock challenging? It's one of the easiest games I've ever played due to the game mechanics.

I was trying to concede something positive about it, but it wasn't entirely sincere since I don't remember there being much enjoyable about it.

Substitute "original" for "challenging", maybe.

The best game of 07: COD4. The single player is epic, the multiplayer is epic. If your at all into first person shooters I think your gonna like this game. I've Played COD2 and COD3, they were pretty standard WWII shooters, no better than any of the other WWII franchises; this game revitalized the series for me. This game does a couple things which are rather out of left field, which, IMHO, perfectly diversifies the play styles. In Gears (a good game), all you did is shoot stuff and the plot wasn't perticularly strong so it got pretty dull after a while, COD4 has an epic single player plot so that couldn't happen, but even if it did and your just playing to shoot people, there's enough variance in the mission types that it never feels like your just killing people in the same manor over and over again.

You can tell --I think COD4 might be my favorite game of all time. Whatever you do please pick up this game.

COD5 boilerplate-ified COD4 and then stamped it into the WWII time frame... I mean it works but it wasnt nearly as original.

Supposidly COD6 is set in the future, and supposidly its going to be out for x-mas 09. Its being done by Infinity ward (creators of all the good COD games XD). I cant wait.

Aside from that, Bioshock is pretty epic, single player only unfortunatly, still won its fair share of game of the years. If you can tolerate 1998 3D engine quality, you can get a better experiance out of SystemShock2, which is in many ways the same game. Systemshock 2 can be downloaded legally.

And just to toss something out there that nobody else is gonna suggest: World In Conflict. I think it probably takes the cake for 2nd most graphically demanding game to date (if you call Crysis and Crysis:warhead the same game). It looks gorgeous. If you have a card which supports CUDA 1.0 (which you do), you get the ground deformation effect which is pretty cool too. WIC is an RTS game for the FPS gamer. Theres no resource management, its simply: here are some dudes, go kill those dudes, and hold this position.

edit: also all the console guys would say GTA IV, and with a rig like yours you could brute force your way through the crappy programming, but that game just didnt do it for me. Won a good chunk of game-of-the-year 08s so its definatly worth a mention.

Basically what needs to happen is the OP needs to realise exactly how many mongoloids are allowed onto public fora, and that I am not one of them and that I am infallible and brilliant and that everything that I say is at least astute, if not also insightful and 100% correct.

So, OP, with that out of the way: If you've not played games for four years, play Call of Duty 4. Fuck these other chimps, they're simpletons and binlids. Listen to me, because I am the best.

I don't even play it any more. I can't bring myself to play the MP any more for the same reasons that I won't play CoD5, but that's coming from the perspective of someone that only played competitively. If you're a casual going on public servers it will rock your face.

Lots of good suggestions listed. I'll add the F.E.A.R. series. All good specially first time through. And F.E.A.R. 2 is right around the corner.

I'm a Quake fan, but Quake 4 was balls... horrible

I don't quite like current games much so I'd be useless unless you want to be told that almost all console ports are clunky and tepid despite the good reviews, and that most games in general are disappointing. Sorry... don't let me ruin your gaming experience. I'm an outlier I suppose.

If I had to suggest a few:

-Orange Box once through and CS:S as mainstay
-Oblivion + texture packs + any mods you like
-The Witcher Enhanced edition
-Crysis + Warhead (mostly for the graphics)
-At least ONE Unreal Engine 3 game for graphics (however I wasn't a fan of Bioshock or Mass Effect) - Warmonger is free and will use your PhysX
- Sins of a Solar Empire (however that won't tax your system at all)
- Grid

and I don't have experience with others...

Back