First dedicated file server build

natermeister

Limp Gawd
I've been tired of running out of space on my various computers and having files stored on one but not the other, ect. I know that building a file server isn't going to help with the 'running out of space' problem, but it should put it off for awhile. At least until I can afford to build a bigger, better file box in a year.

Motherboard Supermicro X7SBi
Processor Xeon L3360 (gonna run F@H on it)
Memory 8GB Crucial DDR2-800
HBA Areca 1210
Hard Drives Western Digital 1TB RE3
Chassis Supermicro 1U (four hotswap bays, got it for free)

I decided on the low power Xeon because I'm running this in a 1U case so the reduced heat dissipation would seem to be worth the extra money. Ram is so cheap that I figured I might as well populate the board. I also could probably get away with the onboard RAID, but it's dog slow for RAID 5 and I can always use the controller in another system build later on.

I'm not sure what to do about the OS. I had though about putting it on a CF card, but I figured that writes would eventually kill it. I think I might have to figure out a way to put a 2.5" hard drive in there or just maybe pop for a 2U chassis.

For the record, I'm probably going to use CentOS unless my brother (a teacher) can secure me an academic copy of Server 2008.

Nice, looks like a solid 813MT build (I assume that's the 1U you're talking about). You could put the OS on a DOM (example here). Just make sure you don't put anything that get alot of writes on it (notably, the swap partition). My fileserver runs Debian off a 512MB IDE DOM quite nicely.

Put the OS on a 2.5" drive and get a PCI braket (I am assuming you at least have two pci bracket slots back to back).

Put the OS on a 2.5" drive and get a PCI braket (I am assuming you at least have two pci bracket slots back to back).

If it's the 813MT/Q, then he'll only have 1 expansion slot. If it's an 815TQ he'll have multiple slots. He could probably rig a bracket to put a 2.5" drive in the floppy bay...

I was running some numbers and for about $400 more I can do a build around a 2U Supermicro case with 2TB of extra space. I think that is the way I'm going to go with the OS installed on a CF card via an expansion slot bracket.

I was running some numbers and for about $400 more I can do a build around a 2U Supermicro case with 2TB of extra space. I think that is the way I'm going to go with the OS installed on a CF card via an expansion slot bracket.

Why not use a SSD or Laptop drive in the very least?

I was thinking about that, but couldn't find a good way to mount it. Then I saw that Supermicro 2.5" mobile hotswap rack that fits into a 5.25" drive bay. I'll probably go with that. Still, a CF card a la Sun Fire 4500/4540 is pretty cool, if a bit slow. Not to mention I'm not sure how long it would last with an OS running on it.

Back