First Cross-State Deal for Hyperloop Transportation Signed

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Hyperloop transportation just got another shot in the arm when Ohio and Illinois signed an agreement with Hyperloop Transportation Technologies to study the possibility of a connection between Chicago and Cleveland. Of course this is only a study, however, if funding is found to make this a reality it would be the first use of the technology that crosses state lines. I like the tech, but I wonder about the security of this form of transportation compared to airline security. It's easier to restrict access to an airport compared to a 300 mile tunnel in the ground. Anyway, keep an eye on this because I believe we'll see more and more of it over time.

One of the two major dedicated companies pursuing the creation of functional Hyperloops (high-speed tunnel transportation that can zoom pods around in low pressure) has signed its first agreements that could lead to an interstate Hyperloop system.

FTA: asking for federal funding support for building out a Hyperloop network.

so a bunch of politicians got together and agreed to ask the Federal government for money

they must be tired now and need a nap....

:rolleyes:

I wonder if its possible to secretly dig the tunnel without the public knowing its exact location? It would help keep the security risk at bay until someone gets curious about the strange ventilation tube sticking out of the ground.

The tunnel would be under a vacuum when operational. That appears to be the biggest problem. Both maintaining that and accessing the tunnel.

Have they solved the vibrancy problem?

Public transportation in the USA always has a vibrancy problem, driving away the people with money (who have been browbeaten into constantly saying they love vibrancy, but into actually risking life and limb to suffer it, not so much).

Forgive my ignorance; how far away is Cleveland from Chicago? The route might be long enough that it's inherently uninteresting to vibrants.

it's about 300 mi., with lots of limestone near the surface in N. Ohio. Not sure how far the limestone layer goes, but it's pretty thick. 30 mi. S of Cleveland there was a limestone mine, but it is 1/2 mi. down by that time, layer is about 100 ft. think at that point. Got pictures of that mine somewhere, cool shit.

Hmm yeah so it's a serious commute distance. I guess it depends on how many local stops it makes in each metro area (the vibrancy will go way up for those).

This end up being one of the biggest boondoggles ever.

They might want to think about talking to Indiana which is sort of between those 2 states, and how much regular traffic runs between those two cities to make it worthwhile?

Blah. Misleading title. Should be first cross state coordinated route study.

I wonder if its possible to secretly dig the tunnel without the public knowing its exact location? It would help keep the security risk at bay until someone gets curious about the strange ventilation tube sticking out of the ground.

it's about 300 mi., with lots of limestone near the surface in N. Ohio. Not sure how far the limestone layer goes, but it's pretty thick. 30 mi. S of Cleveland there was a limestone mine, but it is 1/2 mi. down by that time, layer is about 100 ft. think at that point. Got pictures of that mine somewhere, cool shit.

I don't believe any long sections of tunnel are supposed to run underground at all or the cost would be way to high. Elon Musks original hyperloop concept was for raised tunnel sections built along side existing highways. The end point hub/stations could be built underground to accommodate high density inner city areas however. With a distance of 300 miles it sounds like an optimum distance route. To close to efficiently fly and to far to easily drive.

Back