First Console War Epilogue: Atari Buys Intellivision Brand

Brings a tear to my eye to see the first two "major" consoles I ever owned to come together like this. Granted, neither entity exists in the form that I knew back in the late 70's.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/first-co...ynTDwXGecXikUun8KHyLWEYsdcYYa0-QoEI7PGI0Yp3mO
Intellivision was my first console. I actually liked the more complex controller (ColecoVision was similar) compared to the Atari of the same era.

Much later I ended up getting an Atari 2600 with about 20 games (Yars Revenge included!) for about $75 (1986 dollars). The crash really hurt the resale value on those early consoles.

Then the NES showed up to save the industry... and rest is history.

Intellivision was my first console. I actually liked the more complex controller (ColecoVision was similar) compared to the Atari of the same era.

Much later I ended up getting an Atari 2600 with about 20 games (Yars Revenge included!) for about $75 (1986 dollars). The crash really hurt the resale value on those early consoles.

Then the NES showed up to save the industry... and rest is history.
Many a night playing Intellivision Real Sports Football and Astrosmash until my hands cramped up with the crazy INTVSN controller. Donkey Kong on the Colecovision blew me away in 1982. Like you said though...once NES hit that was all she wrote! :)

Back then I was Team Atari, but some of my friends were Intellivision.
My favorites were that AD&D game and B-17 Bomber with the Intellivoice module.
I can still hear it now when you powered up the game - " Buhyee saeyuhvunteen bawmer! " in the highly exaggerated southern accent always had us loling. I discovered it wasnt so exaggerated when my friend moved to Arkansas a few years and came back sounding exactly like that...
Imagic had a few interesting games also - I liked Microsurgeon
Controllers were arguably better but I never really got the hang of them - and everyone always lost those slide in insert things that showed the different functions for the number buttons.

AFAIK no one has released a retro console that has the old intellivision games so if the Atari purchase makes that happen I'm ok with it

Back then I was Team Atari, but some of my friends were Intellivision.
My favorites were that AD&D game and B-17 Bomber with the Intellivoice module.
I can still hear it now when you powered up the game - " Buhyee saeyuhvunteen bawmer! " in the highly exaggerated southern accent always had us loling. I discovered it wasnt so exaggerated when my friend moved to Arkansas a few years and came back sounding exactly like that...
Imagic had a few interesting games also - I liked Microsurgeon
Controllers were arguably better but I never really got the hang of them - and everyone always lost those slide in insert things that showed the different functions for the number buttons.

AFAIK no one has released a retro console that has the old intellivision games so if the Atari purchase makes that happen I'm ok with it
DEMON ATTACK!!! That was a great Intellivision game from Imagic.

Last edited:
Born in 76, family had the Intelli with the voice box, last couple of games we had were Thunder Castle, Capcom Commando.
My older brother ended up taking it when he moved out.
My 1st console I owned was the NES, blew me away with just how much better it was to the rest.

Born in 76, family had the Intelli with the voice box, last couple of games we had were Thunder Castle, Capcom Commando.
My older brother ended up taking it when he moved out.
My 1st console I owned was the NES, blew me away with just how much better it was to the rest.
Born in 68. I remember the voice box accessory. A buddy who lived down the street from me had one along with his white Intellivision II. The NES came along and changed everything for us.

Born in 68. I remember the voice box accessory. A buddy who lived down the street from me had one along with his white Intellivision II. The NES came along and changed everything for us.
Beeeeee 17 bomber, Bomb Squad, Tron Solar Sailer. :)
IIRC there was also a adaptor to play Atari games on the intelli?

All nice games for the times.....can't remember if the adapter played Atari games. If it did, that would be legally questionable for INTLIVSN?

Last edited:

There was one for the Coleco vision too. Not sure how the intellivision one works, but the coleco one is pretty much an whole atari clone in the adapter and it just takes over the whole output, none of the original guts do anything.

Intellivision was our first console and my parents played it as much as I did. The best Intellivision games I remember in no particular order: Bomb Squad, Space Armada, Burgertime, Astrosmash, and Masters of the Universe (He-Man). I remember my sister walking up and resetting the console when my mom was at her all-time highest level in Burgertime. She said, "I reset it for you mommy!" I remember my dad celebrating when he beat Space Armada. I was psyched when I got to the Aqua colored board on Astrosmash, although I don't remember if that was the furthest I got. We had the Intellivision when it was on it's way out and games were cheap at Kay-Bee Toys.

Yep, I still have my wood-paneled original....and my is subjective, it belonged to my Grandfather who loved gadgets and Vegas in the 60's.....when he found out the base system came with Video Poker and there was a Horse Racing game for it suddenly he's got his friends over showing it off and they are betting on the virtual horses :D

I was more Auto Race, and the Dungeon and Dragons game, Tron, Microsurgeon.....good times.. but of course nothing could prepare you for the voice synthisis module...."Uh Oh..."..."Watch Out...For Flack..."...... ;)

Yep, I still have my wood-paneled original....and my is subjective, it belonged to my Grandfather who loved gadgets and Vegas in the 60's.....when he found out the base system came with Video Poker and there was a Horse Racing game for it suddenly he's got his friends over showing it off and they are betting on the virtual horses :D

I was more Auto Race, and the Dungeon and Dragons game, Tron, Microsurgeon.....good times.. but of course nothing could prepare you for the voice synthisis module...."Uh Oh..."..."Watch Out...For Flack..."...... ;)
I spent many an evening with Tron Deadly Disc and D&D. Good times!

Intellivision was the only console my parents bought for me and my brothers. Many hours spent playing biplanes (part of the "Triple Action" cartridge). Also Baseball ("yerrr out!"), "Utopia", and "Lock 'n Chase". All of those games I remember being able to glitch them and end up invisible or in the background. So many others.... we even loved the Kool-Aid man game we got by mailing in UPC codes. AD&D, Sub hunt (awesome musical score when you won), Snafu, Nightstalker... hell, we even played the crap out of the "Math Fun" and "Word Fun" educational games.

I thought I was the only person who got kool-aid man by mailing those labels from the kool-aid aid cans.
My family played the heck out of that console. We would set up basketball bracket, had a hi score board, etc. It's amazing what they did with so little in the way of cpu, graphics, and storage.

Back