first computer (no display on monitor)

I am attempting to build my first computer and I have run in to some trouble… After assembling it and powering it up I don’t get anything on my monitor? The hard drive spins and the fans all run. But nothing on my monitor! I do get one beep on power up but there is no Bios beep code for a single beep in my mobo user guide.

I checked that the monitor and tower were connected to each other properly, and that both were powered. After that I check all my connections I think it is all done right any ideas on what could be wrong???

This is the tower I built
Case Chenming A2ESW Aluminum
Mobo Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
Cpu P4 2.8
Ram (TWINX1024-3200LL 2x512MB PC3200)
Vid card ATI 9600 Pro 128
Hard drive Western Digital 36GB S-ATA, 10K RPM
Power supply Vantec stealth 420W
CD rom LiteOn 52x32x52 CD-RW

Is there a form of onboard video on the motherboard? Maybe it's being outputted there and you've already got the monitor plugged into the ATI card? Other than that...maybe double check to make sure that the video card is seated correctly in the slot.

no onboard video and i have checked to see if the video card is seated corectly
any other ideas??

perhaps dead memory, or maybe dead mobo. My friend's comp did the same thing, and he replaced ram/mobo and it worked again.... my input anyway :p

u sure u put the mobo on the copper risings and not directly to the case heh just making sure :)

Originally posted by isocrazy
u sure u put the mobo on the copper risings and not directly to the case heh just making sure :)

ya i used the risings its not touching the case.....
as for having a a bad mobo or ram i hope not. i dont think its the ram i dont get a bad ram Bios beep code when i try to start it up. thanks for the input ill keep playing with it

Thanks for the help guys

I found out my video card was ok tried it at a friends house so it was the motherboard all along.
But now I have a new problem while checking all my plugs again I forgot to plug in BOTH power connecters I only plugged in the P4 one I turned it off or it shorted out not sure what happened first. I put them both on and tried to boot it one more time but this time nothing....... I think I fried the mobo!?!?!?!
:clap: :n00b: :clap:
If you have any advice on how I can return this mobo to candacomputers with out having to eat the bill. Or if you think there is a possibility that it is salvageable I would love to hear it! .
[-o<

strip it to nothing but the bare essentials (CPU, Ram, video) then test them one by one.

reset everything, (especially power connectors)try clearing the CMOS a few times, try only one stick of ram at a time, hook up the PC speaker to see if it gives any beeps, etc.

Put the power supply in my old computer it works fine any one know how i could find out what i burnt out my mobo or cpu if i cant boot my computer.....

That's odd. You were able to get it to turn off with only the 4-pin ATX12V, but not the ATX 20-pin? The power-on wire's on the 20-pin! :confused:
Oh well. I say RMA it; I've never killed a motherboard by leaving one of the connectors out. It's usually just a no-boot.

Meantime, try taking everything OUT of the case, and run it with just RAM, video card, CPU/HSF, and power supply. If it boots, then you know that you were always just shorting the case all along.

hey thanks all

the original boards agp slot was bad. got a new one today and its all good now i just have to work my way through this bios thing.

thanks again

Good to hear your problem's been solved. In my experience, motherboard problems are a pain because they are hard to diagnose.

Back