First Comp....No go

Thunder

Weaksauce
I finally got all the parts, and after reading the manual and setting up quadruple checking, go figue nothing happens. Its a P4S800 (Asus) Pentium 4 system.My flat panel is a Dell and has a light that tells it when it gets a signal. When I push the power button, the case comes on, processor fan comes on, a second or two later the monitor displays the gfx card stats (128Mb etc etc) and then everything shuts off, the lights on the case, the fans, everything. I ahve been collecting the parts for a month now and this is a real let down. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, John...Oh, I also unhooked all the ide devices and tried another stick of ramn and same deal.

Sorry.
Intel Pentium 4 3.0E Processor
Asus P4S800 Motherboard
Asylum GeForce MX4000
Cruicial DDR 400 CL3 512MB Ram

The comps not a gaming machine.

Even further, I now press power and ut doesnt even initialzer the graphics card, everything comes on and goes right off.
Thanks,
John

Thunder said:
I finally got all the parts, and after reading the manual and setting up quadruple checking, go figue nothing happens. Its a P4S800 (Asus) Pentium 4 system.My flat panel is a Dell and has a light that tells it when it gets a signal. When I push the power button, the case comes on, processor fan comes on, a second or two later the monitor displays the gfx card stats (128Mb etc etc) and then everything shuts off, the lights on the case, the fans, everything. I ahve been collecting the parts for a month now and this is a real let down. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, John...Oh, I also unhooked all the ide devices and tried another stick of ramn and same deal.

the case comes on? wow, ive never had a powered case :p

make sure the HSF unit is seated correctly on the processor, it sounds like it may be overheating and the temp protectoin is kicking in when its getting too hot and shutting the system down.

since this is your first build, gotta ask kinda a stupid questoin.. but you are using some sort of TIM(thermal interface material), right?

lol, the case fans, and lights etc.

I unplugged it for 2min and pulled the onboard batt.
It now comes on and stays on but doesnt provide any vido signal. The card worked fine a few seconds ago.

Edit: Intel told me the heatsink has it on it allready, there was a patch of something I figured that was it, I even was gogint to pick up some thermal grease...

Is your video card's speed matching those your motherboard supports?

Say your motherboard guarantee x4-x8. Maybe your video card is x2?

Check if you have the P4 additional powerconner plugged in. Check you memory. Some MB, DDR has to be installed in pairs. Make sure you reseat your Processor, and HSF...

Astra said:
Is your video card's speed matching those your motherboard supports?

Say your motherboard guarantee x4-x8. Maybe your video card is x2?

if its got 128mb onboard, im sure its 4x if not 8x... 2x cards didnt go above 64 IIRC.

edit: he said he had an mx4000. mx4000's are 8x.

Check if you have the P4 additional powerconner plugged in.

thats a really good idea, do that too. the power connecter is a square 4pin and plugs into the mobo.

darktiger said:
Check if you have the P4 additional powerconner plugged in. Check you memory. Some MB, DDR has to be installed in pairs. Make sure you reseat your Processor, and HSF...

That would be my guess as well...I've seen the same problem before.

Back