First Class Goes High-Tech

HardOCP News

[H] News
Check out these new high-tech seats made for First Class passengers on the new Boeing 777-300ER airplanes. This thing features a 36” wide leather recliner, built-in fully adjustable table, flat screen LCD TV, built in bed and stowaway luggage storage. Wow.

I prefer first class. The service is super and the comfort is great. There is nothing worse than being stuck with an isle seat and having some fat nasty smelly persons next to you with the flu coughing up the nastiest shit that you've ever seen.

That looks like a great way to fly. To bad it looks to heavy to last. Airlines are trying to shave all the weight they can to offset high fuel prices. I can't see that set-up going into production, if it does it will be of very poor quality due to the use of cheap and light materials. Who are we kidding, our airlines are all going to go under anyway.

SelousSizzle, doesn't that plane have carbon fiber wings? My guess is that they can handle a little extra weight in the business class. Besides, it would be nice to have little cubicles like this when I'm flying on business, especially overseas. Have you been on a 20 hour flight to Hong Kong yet?

I've done a fair amount of international travel in business class (which, on many airlines, is either the same as or very similar to first class), and I've found that seat width, in and of itself, isn't such a huge issue. The big issue, especially on overnight flights, is the fact that none of the seats recline all the way.

I'll take a slightly narrower seat that reclines over a wider recliner any day.

Too bad it isn't fully enclosed. I mean, what if you and a stewardess want to get it on? You'd have to still use the restroom like everyone else. :p

I prefer first class. The service is super and the comfort is great. There is nothing worse than being stuck with an isle seat and having some fat nasty smelly persons next to you with the flu coughing up the nastiest shit that you've ever seen.

um, ok? who doesnt?

Let me guess $2000 one way for one of those seats

Multiply that by 2.5 and you'll be closer. 1st class is *usually* around $10k for a SFO-UK/EU round trip. As for domestic flights, chances are you really won't see this, except for MAYBE the odd LAX/SFO-JFK flights.

Have flown SFO>LHR many times, most in coach, a couple in international business and once in "Premium Economy" on Virgin Atlantic. Coach is miserable, especially when you're 6'6". Int'l Business class is really quite nice and is one of the only times I've been able to sleep on a plane. Premium Economy was OK, but IMHO it wasn't worth 2x the price of the coach seat. Why? Because my knees were STILL smashed when the person in front recliend. But flying up in the bubble of a 747 was cool. ;)

Would love to fly Int'l 1st Class someday. Maybe when/if we move to the UK we'll splurge and have a nice relaxing flight over there. :)

DJ Spanmaster- I do not question the need for comfort on long flights, I have trouble feeling like a sardine on 3 hour ones. Carbon fiber wings may be a great start on the new aircraft, but the airlines are trying to cut costs anyways they can. I'm skeptical that they would put something, that for lack of a better word, bulky, on their planes. Yes it would be a dream seat, but at what cost? The link to the NY Times below discusses the crazy ideas the airlines are thinking up to save wieght which translates to better fuel mileage. Thinking about getting rid of cans and switching to 2 liter bottles is the funniest idea they have yet.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/11/b...gin&adxnnlx=1213902910-GoBKcgdStRo2vJpokvLaew

For giggles I looked up flights from San Francisco to London on Orbitz. 7-19 to 7-30 (two weeks, wednesday flights) Cheapest is $13,098 ($13.8k w/ taxes) and that's flying to Chicago first, so you're not getting the true international 1st class experience the entire time. The cheapest non-stop flight is... hold on to your seats here... $17,424 w/o taxes & $18,112 with! Changed the dates to October, thinking that would be cheaper, but was the same. This only furthers my opinion that international 1st class is only for the wealthy, those with tons of frequent flyer miles or those occasionally pure dumb luck deals/upgrades. ;)

SeriousSizzle,

I checked that article out and one thing jumped out at me - thinner seats. I don't care if the seats are thinner or not, so long as they really don't feel any different. But the $20 question to me is this - did they leave the seats in the same place, thus giving back some knee room? Or did they leave them squashed together as ever in an effort to cram in another row or two? ;) Chances are it was the latter vs. the former, but one can dream! :p

All the other ideas seem pretty plausible. Do worry a little about the reduced amount of water they're carrying, but chances are the airlines have a pretty good idea about the average water useage. Don't think flight attendants would like the 2L bottle idea any more than the passengers would. Besides, that would require bigger carts, thus eliminating some of the weight savings; either that or more trips to the galley to grab a fresh bottle!

It will be overpriced and likely not available on any american/domestic airlines.

Domestic flight services will continue to go on sucking, deserving their struggling financial and bankrupt issues and begging even more for foreign airlines to be able to set up shop and show these aged fleet holders how to run an airline.

furthermore, these seats will be grossly overpriced, even for someone looking to splurge a little for a nice seat on a longer flight.

Flying used to be magical, now all we do is think up concepts and cool new planes while domestic american fleets suck harder more and more every day.

You think that's bad?

July 2003, Air Canada Flight from Vancouver to Toronto. I'm seated next to this guy, he's kinda ill, but not too bad apart from a cough. Then two days after the flight, I'm messed up so bad that I'm rushed to the ER. Turns out I got some sort of virus from this guy that messed with everything. I needed a major transfusion, couldn't hold down solid food for a week, and barely walked out of the hospital.

Now THAT's the worst that can happen to you.

Now back to the regularly scheduled topic, THAT is an awesome seat. I only wish I wasn't stuck in economy for my flights.

of couse they chose an asian woman to model the bed and make it look super comfortable.. asian women being the smallest humans on the planet.. put a average 6' 200lb guy in there and see how comfy it is lol

of couse they chose an asian woman to model the bed and make it look super comfortable.. asian women being the smallest humans on the planet.. put a average 6' 200lb guy in there and see how comfy it is lol

I'm sure the seat being on a Singapore 777 has nothing to do with it :D

well....

who wouldnt.

I do too but i cant pay 2k-3k a ticket every time

Looks neat if you're flying solo, gives you some separation from your neighbor.

But what if you're flying with a spouse or a business associate and want some togetherness?

that's so cliche ockie, i mean c'mon! haha

Well, it happened to me several times.

um, ok? who doesnt?

The ones who doesn't want to pay the price :D

You think that's bad?

July 2003, Air Canada Flight from Vancouver to Toronto. I'm seated next to this guy, he's kinda ill, but not too bad apart from a cough. Then two days after the flight, I'm messed up so bad that I'm rushed to the ER. Turns out I got some sort of virus from this guy that messed with everything. I needed a major transfusion, couldn't hold down solid food for a week, and barely walked out of the hospital.

Now THAT's the worst that can happen to you.

Now back to the regularly scheduled topic, THAT is an awesome seat. I only wish I wasn't stuck in economy for my flights.

That is disgusting! I had some Asian guy next to me cough up these green balls of whatever they are... it was the nastiest smell/sound/visual...

6' person will take what he can get. Beats the crap out of economy where your legs get smashed in every fuggen time (I'm 6'6"). Also, take note that on Asian carriers (such as this one), economy class seats are even smaller in terms of leg room. :eek:

Looks neat if you're flying solo, gives you some separation from your neighbor.

But what if you're flying with a spouse or a business associate and want some togetherness?

The wall divider drops down with the press of a button.

13K for a ticket, a few more thousand and you can buy a small plane...

Your small plane wont be able to take you accross the Pacific or Atlantic :p;)

6' person will take what he can get. Beats the crap out of economy where your legs get smashed in every fuggen time (I'm 6'6"). Also, take note that on Asian carriers (such as this one), economy class seats are even smaller in terms of leg room. :eek:

I've always found Korean air and Cathay Pacific to be roomier than AA or CO. Much cleaner too. Plus the air stewardess' aren't old hags.

I've always found Korean air and Cathay Pacific to be roomier than AA or CO. Much cleaner too. Plus the air stewardess' aren't old hags.

Hey, I was wondering if you knew, how comfortable are CP's new economy seats? I'm supposed to do a 32 hour stint in them in a month, and wanted to know more.

We must have flown together ;) My apologies.

Back