First Build since 2011

Exentrick

n00b
Good afternoon. Any comments on my build would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I'm holding off on the video card for the moment - I'm building a new computer now because my current computer is starting to die. I don't love the GPU situation at the moment, and I'm happy waiting through the year to see if the landscape changes.

I'm also looking to build a water cooling loop into this build down the road - later this year, including a 420 or 480 radiator for CPU & GPU.

I like the P5 case, but it's got a bit of a weird design. Do I need to put a few fans in it if I'm running with the sides off (ie in an open configuration?) Once i've got a radiator in there later this year, it won't matter, but until then, I'm not sure what to do.

Lastly, I'm probably going a bit overkill on RAM and SSD, but that's just my preference so I don't have to change out hardware too much over time. I've also got a pretty strong preference to avoid multiple drives, which is why I've gone with a 2TB ssd.

Here's my response to the questions:
1)The primary use case will be video games

2) I'm trying to keep this first part of my build sub $2k.

3) Currently live in North Carolina

4) I need a Case, CPU, Motherboard, RAM, Power Supply, SSD, OS

Here's what I've picked out so far:
Thermaltake Core P5
Gigabyte Z390 AORUS Pro LGA 1151
Seasonic Prime 750W 80+ Titanium
Intel Core i7-9700K
Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 2TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4
G. Skill TridentZ Series 32GB 4x8GB (15-15-15-35)
CPU Cooler - Looking for something cheap to get me by - maybe a 212

5) Reusing my video card for the time being: GTX 970

6) Not to start, but I plan on building a water cooling loop in a few months and OCing then

7) 1200p, eventually going to 4k

8) I'll be buying the parts described above probably later this week

9) The biggest feature i'm looking for in a motherboard is durability

10) I'll be buying a new Windows 10 key

Sorry - i should have clarified, but I was a bit tight on time. By durability, I guess I mean build quality. I'd like this to still be running 10 years from now (Hopefully not as my primary PC, though). I've had a couple motherboard issues over the years and it's just a pain to deal with, so, I'd like my motherboard to be rock solid so if I do have an issue it just isn't my motherboard. Does that make sense?

Sure.. but, like, who realistically guarantees that? I mean that board has only been out since October of last year.

Fair enough - I suppose I'm implying I'm not willing to take a chance on a budget offering but I don't really see the need of the high end features on a $300+ motherboard.

The reviews on various seller sites (new egg, amazon, etc) should help to see if any early adopters are facing an issue out of the box. I haven't had any major issues with Gigabyte boards in the past, and their warranty is three years so that's nice. After that - it's up to the winds of fate.

I'm not sure about a cheap cpu cooler for a 9700k. I think you will need something beefy for that chip.

It's only a 95 watt TDP - I don't think it will need anything too crazy since I'm not going to be overclocking it until I put it on water.

I missed the water loop part of your post. I'm not sure I believe intels TDP figures for this generation.

Back