First boot troubles

TheGooch69

Gawd
Every time. I don't think I've ever built a computer that didn't take me at least 3 days to finally getting running.

Anyways, getting a blank screen on first boot.

Specs: Intel E8500 3.16GHZ || ASUS P5Q-E || XFire Sapphire Radeon 4850 || Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer || Corsair 4GB Ram || (1)WD 640GB HDD ||

Everything is installed correctly and all that. Everything has power. Connected via DVI, tried other types of connections but nothing. I tried starting up with just 2gb of ram, use different sticks, that didn't work.

My computer case doesn't seem to have a speaker so I can't hear for the POST beeps, which would help me a lot, but of course I'm left handicapped.

Any help is needed and much appreciated.

Try starting up and hitting F2 and see if you can see the BIOS screen?
Try running it with a single GPU and THEN putting in a second?
If you have an old case, rip the speaker out and connect it?

The last 2 I did I've had problems with, but it was bad components. It sucks because I don't keep extra core 2's, ddr 2 and pci-e graphics cards 'laying around' :rolleyes:

Try starting up and hitting F2 and see if you can see the BIOS screen?
Try running it with a single GPU and THEN putting in a second?
If you have an old case, rip the speaker out and connect it?

Tried all of that, except for the last since I don't have an extra case.

One of the video cards is actually defective, but the other works fine.

Connect a speaker and listen for beeps.

You mean hook up an actual speaker set to the onboard audio through the ports on the back of the computer/mobo?

I tried that, didn't hear any beeps. Would I even get sound through the audio ports yet before setting up the BIOS?

Yes, you should get at least a single beep as the BIOS initialises.
Try resetting the CMOS, it may be corrupt or have unusable settings.
Make sure you have the CPU fan connected to the correct header on the motherboard as the BIOS can be configured to not power up if the CPU fan is not spinning.

Remove EVERYTHING not required to get a POST screen.
Then see if removing the ram completely or removing the gfx card stimulates a beep.
If not, remove the CPU and see if you get a response.

If you get no beeps at all, either the speaker out is broken as well as something else, or the PSU / mobo is faulty.

Tried all of that except for removing the CPU, still no beeps.

Before I declare a faulty mobo, is there anything else I can try?

Make sure all the power connectors are installed on the motherboard.

Remove the motherboard from the case and test it on a cardboard box.
(Be sure to earth yourself to the PSU often)
Try another PSU.

not sure if the whole "beep from the speaker out" is going to work. I personally haven't seen any boards that do that.

Can you get a speaker from an old case and hook it up to the PC speaker plug on the motherboard?

Have you tried updating the BIOS?

lol, I missed reading that.
Yes, the speaker must be connected to the motherboard speaker terminal, not the soundcard (unless the motherboard is actually designed to put POST sounds out of the onboard sound).

Do you know the exact technical term is for a PC speaker? I'm searching radioshack.com and can only find the conventional desktop speakers.

I'm thinking maybe the CPU isn't on right.

Do they snap into place or do you just place them and line them up on the connector and clamp down the bracket? (I did the latter).

Putting on the CPU fan was such a bitch, took forever to get right, I am so reluctant to take it off again.

You just have to clamp down the bracket, and it actually takes quite a bit of force. did you merely close the CPU cover (sorry i forgot the technical term) or did you securely latch the metal hook onto the side?

You just have to clamp down the bracket, and it actually takes quite a bit of force. did you merely close the CPU cover (sorry i forgot the technical term) or did you securely latch the metal hook onto the side?

I secured the latch. I installed the CPU right then.

I am getting so restless with this. Next time, I'm buying pre-built.

Its much easier when you cover the bases.
Having a CPU speaker for beeps is really very basic.
Once you have the tools to work with, its a lot easier for us to help.

Try taking out one stick of ram and checking if it works. Try the other stick too, by itself. Is there any other hardware you could substitute? Sad to see that your building hasn't gone completely well. I actually got good/very good results on my first build but then a friends build I really managed to F' up. Trial and error I suppose.

Try taking out one stick of ram and checking if it works. Try the other stick too, by itself. Is there any other hardware you could substitute? Sad to see that your building hasn't gone completely well. I actually got good/very good results on my first build but then a friends build I really managed to F' up. Trial and error I suppose.

I tried all that. I have four different sticks to work with, and every combination I've tried hasn't worked.

Issue solved. Embarrassingly I missed a ATX mobo power connection.

Running great now! Thanks everyone.

Back