First attempt to open the M6805: Failed

Eric1285

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, I just spent about 30 minutes trying to open up my M6805. I tried going with one of the tutorials posted on the M53XX series, but the keyboard housing is entirely one piece. This means that there is no simple piece to pull off, unscrew, and then remove the keyboard. So, I tried unscrewing everything on the laptop. No go. I think there are hidden screws or something underneath some stickers on the back, and I don't want to mess with the FCC sticker and such. It will look suspicious when I take the laptop in for warranty work. I was only able to split the laptop open a tiny bit. Enough to peek inside, but not enough to figure out what anything was.

So, if anyone is brave enough to peel back their stickers or apply a little more force than I did in removing the plastic (I didn't want to snap anything) please go for it. I know we all want a look inside this laptop to see if the video card/processor are upgradeable.

You are a brave soul. Nothing would make me curious enough to crack my precious M6807 open.

Originally posted by Threader
You are a brave soul. Nothing would make me curious enough to crack my precious M6807 open.

Well, I read my Best Buy warranty. Says nothing open voiding the warranty. It just doesn't cover anything I break, and I didn't break anything =)

Originally posted by Eric1285
Well, I read my Best Buy warranty. Says nothing open voiding the warranty. It just doesn't cover anything I break, and I didn't break anything =)
still.... that's pushing it.

I think he is right as long as he doesn't break its while open. But if he messes up while its open he is screwed.

With our service plan (Best Buy) you are able to open up and install your own hardware in PCs and notebooks without voiding the warranty, however if you cause damage to it BY installing something, that is not covered.

You're safe with Best Buy. It's good to hear you got the service plan, as it's an awesome value no matter how nice or cheap the notebook is.

PS - I work at Best Buy if you didn't already figure that out. :)

PS - I work at Best Buy if you didn't already figure that out.

NO WAY!!! Damn I guess I'm slow. HEHE

I used to work for BB but I told a regional manager who was shoping the store. That one of the Logictec Web/Quickcams "SUCKED" and he should buy them seprately. I got yelled at and quit. I really still believe certain things are worth the "P" as they called it. Laptop are one of them.

Adam

Definately. I got the M6805 for free thanks to the PSP.

There's nothing wrong with opening your laptop, as long as you're careful. Don't stick your screwdriver in there and move it around, don't leave the battery in, don't spill anything in it, etc.

Originally posted by Eric1285
Well, I just spent about 30 minutes trying to open up my M6805. I tried going with one of the tutorials posted on the M53XX series, but the keyboard housing is entirely one piece. This means that there is no simple piece to pull off, unscrew, and then remove the keyboard. So, I tried unscrewing everything on the laptop. No go. I think there are hidden screws or something underneath some stickers on the back, and I don't want to mess with the FCC sticker and such. It will look suspicious when I take the laptop in for warranty work. I was only able to split the laptop open a tiny bit. Enough to peek inside, but not enough to figure out what anything was.

So, if anyone is brave enough to peel back their stickers or apply a little more force than I did in removing the plastic (I didn't want to snap anything) please go for it. I know we all want a look inside this laptop to see if the video card/processor are upgradeable.

you have fail us all of us

:D

UNF!

ZIF socket... :drool:

And is that the 2nd dimm I see in Pic 3?

SWEET.

HOWTO... NOW! TELL! NOW! TELL!

Please? :p

I want a gig of 3200 in there :)

Instructions: I'm installing photoshop for instructions.

Video Card: I don't know....Thinking under large heatsink.

Wow...I'm impressed. Thanks a bunch! I guess I just wasn't trying hard enough!

Where's the video card? Is it under that white passive heatsink?

It looks like video is integrated...non-upgradeable.

wow, umm just wow.
I don't think i could bring myself to do that to my new lappy... but i do have an old one:D

you probably have the system back together by now, but from your experience, how difficult will it be to upgrade the internal stick of RAM?

it looks like PCB is covering a quarter of the RAM slot...

20-30 minutes taking your time, laying out screws etc. The flash reader looks like it may make it a little bit of a challange.

I'm going to sell my 2 sticks of PC2700 and get one stick of PC3200 pop it inside the notebook.

Nice work. You've got some guts ripping apart your brand new toy like that.

I found those pics interesting and I don't even have one of those beasts.

Originally posted by Kingofl337
I need to get some AS adhesive then I'm going after the heatsinks.
When will you be satisfied?!@ :eek:

When its water cooled. :p

My goal for the unit is a 12k 3DMark no arifacts or I break it and warranty for a M6807. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Kingofl337
When its water cooled. :p

My goal for the unit is a 12k 3DMark no arifacts or I break it and warranty for a M6807. :rolleyes:

Hehe...I broke 12.1k no artifacts already. I actually want to keep my warranty, so I'm going to try and keep them from discovering that I opened it. Even though my warranty will cover it as long as I don't break anything, I don't want them blaming me for anything. For this reason, I'm going to use AS Ceramique on the CPU, since it looks like the stock stuff is also white. You get any looks at the vid card?

Oh yeah, are you going to post directions? I still haven't figured it out.

Kingofl337!~ KUDOS!!!!! to you!!

Thanks for re-assuring me that I will be able to pop in another Mobile 754pin Athlon 64 and more memory in a few years time.

thanks for the great pics. I just hope my M6807 is exactly the same (except for Pioneer DVD-RW :D )

1. Take out the back four screws.
2. Gently pry up on the bezel with the power button.
3. There are two screws for the keyboard.
4. Remove the screws for the silver plate.

Thats it, access to ram an CPU. I still don't know where the VPU is. Might be under the larger passive heatsink or on the bottom. Maybe someday I'll pull the logic board and find out. I'm not sure if the VPU is all in one, RAM / VPU or if they are seprate.

The 6807 is the same just DVD+-RW

Hm, I tried doing that, and the piece with the power button didn't want to come off. I guess I'll have to try harder.

I just pulled off the panel on my machine and had a look. It appears the middle two screws (the long ones) in the back are the only ones you need to undo. They screw into the panel itself. I got the panel loose by gently prying on the back of the covers for the screen hinges. They have two locking tabs. Push in a little bit and pry open. Just be careful and not wrench the cable that goes to the power button.

I don't see any easy way to replace the first dimm from the top. The PCB for the USB and Firewire on the left side is right over it.

I don't see any easy way to replace the first dimm from the top. The PCB for the USB and Firewire on the left side is right over it.

Use a watch flat head screw driver to release the tabs. Then when the ram sightly pops up gently work the ram out. To install it just push it in on the open side and use the screw driver to push it down.

hey King - bravo!

Can you say:

Where did you pry up the power panel - from around the top of the keyboard?

Any factory seals broken?

Any tricky shit that could screw up? (plastic tabs to break, etc.)

4/ is the cpu in a standard ZIF socket?

5/ what kind of RAM is in there? did you put in a bigger module yet?

- let us know how she goes when yer done!

cheers, and thanks! (sorry if any of this is redundant)
Dave

haha integrated video!

oh noes pwned by the lack of upgradeable video.

i just got a dell 8600 for free thanks to their complete care warentee and im waiting upon the m11 to come out so i can upgrade.

w00t.

Back