• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

First Attempt at Computer Building

Last edited:
I made the changes to the hard drive and the motherboard, thanks for the suggestions. Is there a good hsf you can recommend? Thats one thing I don't have any experience in.
 
+1 to shiro's suggestions. Also can I suggest the EVGA GTX 260 or another lower priced GTX460 (you want the 199$ ones, but they are selling quick and the regular EVGA sold out, its only $9 more for the OC model).

I would also definitely changed the case/psu thing. Go with the CM 690II if you like the looks or maybe a different case and then a corsair/antec 550-650w psu.
 
Will a 650w PSU be enough for my build? I wasn't sure if I could go below 700w.

And thanks for the suggestion shiro, I dropped the paste and Ill get the CPU cooler.
 
At $80, I cannot recommend the EA650, as its way overpriced for what it delivers on the +12V rail(s). The CM 690 is a great case, but the K62 is nice, too, IMO. Therefore, I agree with ideviouz' suggested combo. ;)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.440220

this combo comes out to be cheaper if you're getting the XFX 750w power supply (80+ silver). Cheaper the better right? Quality, the Lian Li Lancool case should be on par if not better than the Coolermaster 690-2. I think July10 still knocks off another $10.

Best of luck.

Damn, nice find on that combo!
 
If you're in the NYC area I'm trying to sell my K62 case. It's a great case for a first timer because it's almost completely tool less. Even the motherboard standoffs can be tool less.
 
Wow, that is a nice deal, I'm going with that. I've gotten pretty much set on what I'm getting now, and I wanted to thank everyone for their help and suggestions. I may be back in a few days when I get lost trying to put the computer together haha.
 
Wow, that is a nice deal, I'm going with that. I've gotten pretty much set on what I'm getting now, and I wanted to thank everyone for their help and suggestions. I may be back in a few days when I get lost trying to put the computer together haha.

Good luck, its not hard, just take your time and make sure to read your motherboard manual, especially in regards to memory orientation (which slots to use) and front panel connectors. Make sure the heatsink is seated properly (not loose), all your connectors are plugged in firmly and also make sure that you dont have any extra mobo standoffs underneath your motherboard in a non-standoff spot (not hard, just line up where the holes on your motherboard are and where there are holes for standoffs on the case). If you have any questions feel free to ask!
 
Back
Top