First 4870X2 review (including crossfire results)

defiant007

2[H]4U
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1541/1/sapphire_radeon_hd_4870_x2_in_crossfirex/index.html

Very strange results, I expected the GTX 280 to lose convincingly but yet it achieved higher or equal frames to the X2 in all games tested without AA or AF. Their testing methodology is a bit out of whack, having AA and AF as seperate results and only in relation to 3DMark 06 and WiC. Pretty useless if you ask me.

Also looks like crossfire is convincingly broken

it is not broken it is just that no game needs quad sli or quad crossfire right now, and you wont see the portential of the cards, and they are heavily bottlenecked by cpu speed.

Wow. On top of the sketchy testing/results methodology, that site has one TERRIBLE layout.

lol their numbers are way off and as the guy above me mentioned their layout is a rip from anand

That hexus review is just as, if not more useless than the tweaktown review. Maximum fps without average or minimum figures are absolutely misleading. Who gives a shit if a video card for 5 seconds hits 500fps if for the rest of the time is only managing 30fps.

At least the tweaktown review provides minimum and average fps, which is what you should really be interested in.

it is not broken it is just that no game needs quad sli or quad crossfire right now, and you wont see the portential of the cards, and they are heavily bottlenecked by cpu speed.

I'm the only NKD allowed, shoo!!!~~

Also: nothing is CPU bound at 1920x1200 or higher with AA on.

I was thinking of trading in my 4870 xfire setup for one of these, but it doesn't seem worth it. They're pretty much exactly even in performance, give or take a few frames, and depending on who's review you read. I know some people want to run 2 X2's but after reading those reviews, that seems like a real waste. No bang for your buck there, just inches for your e-penis. :p

And did you anyone else see the power draw from the X2 xfire setup, 752 watts! You could fry eggs while you game! :eek:

The best part is, AMD didn't even try to sell it for $650

Exactly!! Some reviews Ive read give price of the card as a negative rep. I mean come on !! This thing has 2 gpus and 2 freaken Gb of the fastest video memory on the planet. It wipes the floor with a gtx280, which when it first hit the market, retailed for 100$ more.

All those reviews on this card are exactly as I expected. FPS games where you get about a zillion FPS, this card gives more FPS due to simply throughput. However, in games where raw power is actually needed, ie. Crysis for graphics or GRAW 2 for Graphics and Physics (strain on CPU), the GTX 280 blows it away.

I personally would rather play Crysis at ultra high at 40FPS than FEAR at ultra high at a zillion FPS.

When it comes down to raw power of graphically intensive games, the GTX280 is the king. When it comes down to just another 100 FPS on top of your already existing 100 FPS (like you need 100 more), the 4870x2 is king.

I guarantee the GTX280 will out perform the 4870x2 in Far Cry 2.

All those reviews on this card are exactly as I expected. FPS games where you get about a zillion FPS, this card gives more FPS due to simply throughput. However, in games where raw power is actually needed, ie. Crysis for graphics or GRAW 2 for Graphics and Physics (strain on CPU), the GTX 280 blows it away.

I personally would rather play Crysis at ultra high at 40FPS than FEAR at ultra high at a zillion FPS.

When it comes down to raw power of graphically intensive games, the GTX280 is the king. When it comes down to just another 100 FPS on top of your already existing 100 FPS (like you need 100 more), the 4870x2 is king.

Lol...hopefully words dont bite you in the ass.

Prepare to be flamed!!! :eek:

/me grabs popcorn

Tom's Hardware's review is up: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/4870-x2-amd,1992.html

Unfortunatly, they didn't compare it 2 HD4870s in crossifre, but the HD4870X2 absolutly destroyed the GTX280, especially with AA added. Crysis is actually playable with this card at 1920x1200 with 4xAA, and at 2560x1600 with no aa! The only game with mediocre performance was Flight Similulator X, but they attributed that to crap drivers. Overall, this card looks to be the new performance king (oh yeah, it is huge as hell :eek:).

Sorry to take away your candy, but in Crysis with highest setting , a single card 4870 X2 beats GTX 280 SLI(two cards).
and in Age of Conan, 4870 X2 whoops GTX 280 trash SLI in the ball by 28%

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3372&p=4

And this is done with the premature 8.7 driver, The 8.8 is coming bringing more performance.

Now go cry underneath your pillow then have a wet dream.

Somebody bought into shilling a little too early. :rolleyes:

p/s: Far Cry 2 doesn't even use the same frigging engine. Shows how much you (don't) know.

I was thinking of trading in my 4870 xfire setup for one of these, but it doesn't seem worth it. They're pretty much exactly even in performance, give or take a few frames, and depending on who's review you read. I know some people want to run 2 X2's but after reading those reviews, that seems like a real waste. No bang for your buck there, just inches for your e-penis. :p

And did you anyone else see the power draw from the X2 xfire setup, 752 watts! You could fry eggs while you game! :eek:
I was considering building a new setup with two x2s. Maybe by the time the Nehalem is released, I'll have a bad case of the upgrade bug. :p

One thing you might want to pay attention to is HH is using the proper 8.8 driver for the card.
Cool, where can I get them?

Until then, these reviews all seem to be using the same thing in my eyes - pre-release drivers.

Their test setup page even says they're using 8.8b - 8.8 beta anyone? Same thing most of the other reviews are using?

Cool, where can I get them?

Until then, these reviews all seem to be using the same thing in my eyes - pre-release drivers.

Their test setup page even says they're using 8.8b - 8.8 beta anyone? Same thing most of the other reviews are using?

The first link the op put down from tweaktown they were using 8.7s thus why their numbers were so far off.

Nice reviews, though I thought the Tweaktown one wasn't too accurate. When I compared the other reviews, the 4870x2 outperforms the 280 GTX but Tweaktown doesn't say so.

I can't wait till I get the 4870x2.

Now the question of the day is.

Do I just get another 4870 for CF, or do a 4870x2 + 4870 x3 CF setup. I think my wallet is about to hate me :p

The reviews that use a stock clocked cpu, 2 gb of ram, and/or don't test above 1600x1200 show the GTX 280 very close in performance. The reviews using a fast cpu, 4gb, and higher resolutions show the X2 utterly destroying it.

Care to back that up with some facts, Nostradamus? :rolleyes:

Back