• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Firmware underclock -or- save my 7900GT

Dalrain

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 6, 2003
Messages
311
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone here could point in the right direction to underclock my PNY 7900GT. It has the crazy dots and purple letters during BIOS, as well as artifacts. Sometimes when I boot it it's ok for a while, so I'm thinking maybe if I'm really nice to it and underclock it, it'll act nice to me.

The rub here is that I'm running 64-bit vista, so it seems like many of the soft-underclocks just don't work for me. Even nTune didn't really show any difference, but it did let me slide the sliders. I don't think it actually underclocked though, because my frame rates were just as high as always in everything I ran.

Could someone point me in the direction of an easy to use firmware underclocker?

Thanks!
 
Just found this thread, most excellent: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1260590

However, it looks like it might be prudent just to boot into DOS with nvflash, read out the BIOS, edit in Windows with NiBiTor, then replace BIOS by booting back into DOS with nvflash. (To avoid the problems with NiBiTor in 64 bit vista)

Anything to watch for with this process? When I scale the GPU clock to %75 percent of normal, should I just go ahead and do 75% of memory speed as well? Bad idea? Good idea?
 
Back
Top