Firmware info on WD Caviar Black

Aaron_ATX

[H]ard|Gawd
Just picked a 2TB sata III one of these to replace the 4 other random 5 year old drives I had in my system. Looked around on the WD homepage for firmware information....all I could find was an "auto install firmware updater" with no information on changelogs or anything. Drive came with firmware 5.01D05 .... after my last few segate nightmares I am a little paranoid about harddrive firmwares. Anyone familiar with these drives, and maybe show my dumb ass where the information is on the website? Or are they keeping that info to themselves?

Just picked a 2TB sata III one of these to replace the 4 other random 5 year old drives I had in my system. Looked around on the WD homepage for firmware information....all I could find was an "auto install firmware updater" with no information on changelogs or anything. Drive came with firmware 5.01D05 .... after my last few segate nightmares I am a little paranoid about harddrive firmwares. Anyone familiar with these drives, and maybe show my dumb ass where the information is on the website? Or are they keeping that info to themselves?

Hard drive companies do not generally post updated firmware like motherboard or controller card companies. If there is a specific problem you are having (and there is a specific fix for it) they deal with it on a one-by-one basis with their support departments. Only if there is a HUGE wide-ranging problem (like the 7200.11) do they publicly post firmware updates for general consumption.

Gotcha. Just wanted to verifiy I hadnt forgotten how to look in the internet pipes. No issues at all with the drive so far.

7200.11 *shudder*

Back