- Joined
- Nov 22, 2004
- Messages
- 1,711
I am new to the whole Firewire deal. Up until this point I have used strictly USB devices.
First, let me explain what I am attempting to accomplish.
I have a Motorola DCT-6200 HD Cable box. On the back of the box it has 2 firewire ports. When you hook a cable up to these ports and run them to a pc (install software, drivers, etc), I am able to record liveTV in RAW formats. I successfully accomplished this with my laptop, but I want to make a more permanent setup. There is a little problem though. I have been reading that Firewire cables should not exceed 14ft, HOWEVER my PC is 20 feet away. Would it be safe to run a 20ft cable (without a repeater), and not worry about data loss?
Also, I know that firewire 6 pin ports provide 30V of current. When I used my Laptop I used a 6 pin cable (from the box) to a 4 pin port (in my laptop). The Motorola box has a 6 pin port on the back of it, and so does my PC. Is it ok to run a 6 pin cable (from the box) to a 6 pin cable (to my PC), or should I be using a 6 pin, to a 4 pin cable?
I am just a little confused about all of this.
Any help is much appreciated!
Thanks!
First, let me explain what I am attempting to accomplish.
I have a Motorola DCT-6200 HD Cable box. On the back of the box it has 2 firewire ports. When you hook a cable up to these ports and run them to a pc (install software, drivers, etc), I am able to record liveTV in RAW formats. I successfully accomplished this with my laptop, but I want to make a more permanent setup. There is a little problem though. I have been reading that Firewire cables should not exceed 14ft, HOWEVER my PC is 20 feet away. Would it be safe to run a 20ft cable (without a repeater), and not worry about data loss?
Also, I know that firewire 6 pin ports provide 30V of current. When I used my Laptop I used a 6 pin cable (from the box) to a 4 pin port (in my laptop). The Motorola box has a 6 pin port on the back of it, and so does my PC. Is it ok to run a 6 pin cable (from the box) to a 6 pin cable (to my PC), or should I be using a 6 pin, to a 4 pin cable?
I am just a little confused about all of this.
Thanks!