Firewalls: Software AND Hardware

Battle_Rattle

Limp Gawd
Hey people,

What are the benefits and/or problems associated with using a software and hardware together. A computer build professional reccomended just running my router/firewall but I really want to be able control outbound packets. I see no need for adobe, microsoft, or anyone else to send out information without me knowing.

I have recently switched to a linksys router and want to put sygate back on.

Cheers ~ Battle

I say "It's up to the user and their computer use/habits/needs.

For me, a NAT router is all I want/need. All I want to do is keep the bad guys out from my home and office networks. I do small business networks for a living, I use quality antivirus, windows updates, anti-spyware protection....and practice good security measures regarding accounts, priveledges, shares, etc.

I don't do P2P warez download software, and keep away from other bad stuff, no e-mail clients, only web based/OWA. So combined with the above, I am very low risk.

I find software firewalls "naggy", and they bog down performance.

So for me, a software firewall is a "bandaid fix"...as bad stuff should not make it to my computer in the first place.

For some users though, who do some higher risk stuff, knowing about some outbound stuff might be better for them.

Sygate was great. Too bad it's bought up by Symansuck...and has no more updates coming.

Other "good" free firewalls, getting extinct. Kerio, Outpost.

ZoneAlarm...ugh...may as well start formatting my PC now.

YeOldeStonecat said:
I say "It's up to the user and their computer use/habits/needs. .......................

Thanks for replying Stone....

As for "bad stuff" im not at risk either... I just get pissed off when any program is trying to communicate with an outside server for no reason. I can easily recall adobe, microsoft, and any number of "safe" companies sending out useless requests.

Also

I didn't find sygate to be much of a nag at all once I got it set up correctly and recognizing the right programs.

ZoneAlarm was truely aweful... I dropped that 2 hours into me trying it.

Any substantive problems though from having a hardware and software running in tandem?

Kerio and Outpost were 2x other software firewalls that were quite light.

I forget the scenario, but similar to Sygate....CA (Computer Associates) bought up one of them last summer...I can't remember what the plans are for it..similar to Sygate I fear. And the other one...dropped their free version.

Oh yeah...Tiny Personal was another great free firewall.

As far as programs such as Adobe 'n stuff...I control that right off the bat upon installation. Instead of letting default installs go, I select options like "Don't load at Windows Startup", and "Don't auto check for updates", stuff like that which is either checkboxes during the install routine, or I go right for the "preferences" setting. Handle it correctly in the first place, there's no worrying afterwards about it. "Control that Systray". Keep a leash on it.

As for Windows....checking and autodownloading updates all the time is a good thing IMO.

YeOldeStonecat said:
"Control that Systray". Keep a leash on it.

Yeh I do.... I selectively run winpatrol and kill all startup stuff that way...

Still though.... anyone have problems running both a software and hardware firewall together?

Back