Firewalls Can't Protect Today's Connected Cars

How is not wanting to get rear ended at a stoplight by someone not paying attention "slobbing my nob?" Do you really think that there is anyone who rides a motorcycle who disagrees with my statement? Is anything anyone has ever texted in the history of texting/tweeting/instagraming/email EVER been important enough to risk your life or the lives around you? Ask yourself that question before you try to sound magnanimous.

Happens almost daily. Make it a habit to always keep your bike in gear and check the mirrors at lights.

I disagree with you and I ride which is why I gave it a -1.

I find it much harder to see motorcycles out of my 1967 mustang fastback than I ever do out of my connected Cruze. You wanna hear why or can you figure it out yourself?

Ask yourself if you can legitimately speak for an entire group of people before you open your mouth, newsflash hotshot you can't.

It makes me laugh that everyone jumps on the connected bandwidth while I watch fat asses drive down the road gorging themselves on food, drinks, and cigarettes. Gee, let's just ban doing anything but driving from driving.

Also how did this become a conversation about how you think you can speak for the entirety of motorcycle riders?

But it's cool just throw out magnanimous like it applies here :rolleyes:

That's how it should be.

That doesn't fit into the rhetoric for that guy though. He just wants to rail against smart cars because.... I dunno maybe he can't afford one? The camera helps me from hitting things while backing up (I have a bad neck, probably should be banned from driving :rolleyes:).

A lot of the newer cars have alert lights when someone is in your blind spot as well.

As someone who was rear-ended on my motorcycle by a "distracted driver" while I was sitting at a traffic light, I also say "go to hell" to those who THINK they can drive distracted.

Which is one of the reasons I gave up riding my motorcycle years ago (even before cell phones where wide spread). Had to many close calls with people in cars/trucks not paying attention or not seeing anything smaller than a mid sized car.

I disagree with you and I ride which is why I gave it a -1.

I find it much harder to see motorcycles out of my 1967 mustang fastback than I ever do out of my connected Cruze. You wanna hear why or can you figure it out yourself?

Ask yourself if you can legitimately speak for an entire group of people before you open your mouth, newsflash hotshot you can't.

It makes me laugh that everyone jumps on the connected bandwidth while I watch fat asses drive down the road gorging themselves on food, drinks, and cigarettes. Gee, let's just ban doing anything but driving from driving.

Also how did this become a conversation about how you think you can speak for the entirety of motorcycle riders?

But it's cool just throw out magnanimous like it applies here :rolleyes:

So.... less blindspots is because your newer car is connected? Seems legit.:rolleyes:

I press 1 button on my steering wheel and can send out an e-mail, text, make a call, check the weather, traffic conditions, set destinations for GPS, bring up maps, change the station, set reminders, and all hands free with just my mouth.

My wife and I operate our vehicles with a number of pedals, levers, button, knobs, and wheels.

What happens when they stop? When did they ever start?

I've never seen or heard of even mapset updates for cars...OS updates? Forget about it. You're talking about something that has never existed.

I have personally downloaded updates for my car and installed them by placing the update file on a USB thumb drive and plugging it in one of the USB ports in my car. It automatically finds the file and installs the software. As far as map updates I can get a new map every year if I chose since it comes on a SD card. I update every other year for 45 bucks.

Car companies never had to worry about that kind of security before. I knew this connected stuff would bite them in the ass one day. Right now all modules in a vehicle talk to one another, so that means the radio talks to the powertrain control module, this is why they could take control of vital systems. The PCM has no logic in it to question where the command came from, only to obey a proper command. The infotainment system need to be isolated off the system bus to only its only network and that will solve the problem.

I press 1 button on my steering wheel and can send out an e-mail, text, make a call, check the weather, traffic conditions, set destinations for GPS, bring up maps, change the station, set reminders, and all hands free with just my mouth.

mycomputercareer.com?

Other people in the car can moderate their conversation based on their observation of driving conditions. And if they don't, you can always kick them out.

Clearly we need to ban radios in cars. They Play music and talk radio both of which distract drivers. We also need to remover climate controls from the cars because they require you to do something other than drive the car. Driver side windows shouldn't be able to move up or down unless the car USD in Park. Two hands on the wheels at all times.

How is not wanting to get rear ended at a stoplight by someone not paying attention "slobbing my nob?" Do you really think that there is anyone who rides a motorcycle who disagrees with my statement?
Right here! Please don't speak for all of us; we're not all so disconnected from reality. And no, I don't ride a Harley, and yes, I wear ATGATT. Since when did "make a call, check the weather, traffic conditions, set destinations for GPS, bring up maps, change the station, set reminders, and all hands free" become chores?
Hey it's the mating call of the habitual texter-while-driving. Your justifications for your behavior (other people have radios so I should be able to text!) are pathetic. And no, drivers absolutely cannot be trusted on when to/when not to use internet related features.
I'm genuinely curious how you know so much about my behavior from my post. I was responding to this:
damicatz said:
Other people in the car can moderate their conversation based on their observation of driving conditions. And if they don't, you can always kick them out.
So apparently drivers can't be trusted to not use hands-free features, but we can trust them to remove overly distracting people (like their screaming, unbuckled kids) from the car.

Keep on fighting the good fight! F cagers!

I can't ever see myself driving a motorcycle as most people cant drive well and I have seen too many accidents. Hell, probably at least 10% of the drivers are so bad they should loose their licenses. I can't wait until the day when we have driverless cars and ban the drivers, or at least have a very strict driving test that you have to retake every other year.

Doing anything other than driving, and I mean anything, has been proven to be more dangerous than having 100% of your attention on driving. If you are even holding a conversation or listening to the radio, you are distracted.

[21CW]killerofall;1041759888 said:
I can't ever see myself driving a motorcycle as most people cant drive well and I have seen too many accidents. Hell, probably at least 10% of the drivers are so bad they should loose their licenses. I can't wait until the day when we have driverless cars and ban the drivers, or at least have a very strict driving test that you have to retake every other year.

Doing anything other than driving, and I mean anything, has been proven to be more dangerous than having 100% of your attention on driving. If you are even holding a conversation or listening to the radio, you are distracted.

Slow drivers -- people who drive lead than 9 miles over the speed limit-- in the leg lane are distracting and cause road rage, but I deal.

Note that 9 mph came from a state trooper advising me on the real speed limit on the highway.

Hands free is safer than twiddling with the radio and virtually EVERYONE on this thread has done that!

That doesn't fit into the rhetoric for that guy though. He just wants to rail against smart cars because.... I dunno maybe he can't afford one? The camera helps me from hitting things while backing up (I have a bad neck, probably should be banned from driving :rolleyes:).

A lot of the newer cars have alert lights when someone is in your blind spot as well.

I don't have any problem with technology assisting drivers with avoiding hazards, such as backup cameras, blind spot alerts, etc. I'm 100% behind anything that helps a driver avoid a hazard. Being opposed to that is like being opposed to seat belts and airbags. That wouldn't make sense to me. If technology can give a driver information that can save their life or someone else's, then it's good tech. As for having a bad neck, you have my sympathies. Physical disabilities or infirmities are no laughing matter to me, and I'm glad there's tech out there that can help you be a safer driver and protect you from the ones that aren't safe.

The problem as I see it isn't in the cars and their connectivity. The problem is in the attitudes of a lot of drivers. The driver should be focused on driving - not texting, not talking on the phone, but operating the vehicle safely. That should be their #1 priority - not putting someone else's life or their own life in danger. The connectivity stuff is fine for when the vehicle is parked, or for a passenger of the vehicle to use when in motion. There's nothing wrong with a passenger using an internet connection to find a restaurant or other destination, help navigate through an unknown town, or for a van to pipe in video to the kiddies in the back seat. I don't see any problem with connectivity for passenger use. It makes me wonder how many critics fly solo so much that this doesn't even occur to them. I literally fly solo - as in, with my own two feathered wings - and even I can understand that the tech isn't there just for the driver to use. Maybe some people need to get out of the basement more often?

Back