Firewall Solution 4 Small Business...

Looking hard into the linux/unix firewalls though. Getting ready to install a monowall one at a client next week. Using one of the configs that logicsupply advertises on monowalls site but with more memory in case we want to move them to something that needs more later.
let me know how it works out plz :)

I would go with a Cisco ASA 5505, 10 user bundle. You get VPN capability if you ever need it in the future, plus has an 8 port switch built in, VLAN capabilities, and two of the switch ports are PoE for an access points or whatever. We use them at all clients under about 25 users.

I would go with a Cisco ASA 5505, 10 user bundle. You get VPN capability if you ever need it in the future, plus has an 8 port switch built in, VLAN capabilities, and two of the switch ports are PoE for an access points or whatever. We use them at all clients under about 25 users.

i've never worked with Cisco products at all...are they hard to configure?

Yes if you have never used one I don't know if I would start out with one. With the web interface that the new ones support it has gotten a lot better but they still take more to program then most of the other solutions mentioned.

^ thats why i didn't go with cisco

AMD - have you looked at the webdemo for Freedom 9 Freeguard?
http://www.freedom9.com/emulators/emu_28/login.htm

Has your content filter, VPN. The only thing you have to pay for is the spam filter but I haven't used it yet been using GFI for email spam.

I mite be becoming a reseller of them so I will let u know. I dont think I can sell enough of them mite have to become a resller and just slop em on ebay.

(sorry to double post)

what would be a better solution?

VPN or LogMeIn.com?

I know they are both pretty much the same except logmein doesn't require a VPN firewall....

Up to 10x users...probably the easiest thing would be a bunch of gotomypc or logmein accounts. Sounds like a ripe cadidate for Microsoft Small Business Server though...I imagine e-mail is getting important to them, you have the remote access portal through RWW and OWA for e-mail, centralized application and file storage, not to mention..peer to peer business networks past 6 or so PCs generally want to start considering a "server".

Up to 10x users...probably the easiest thing would be a bunch of gotomypc or logmein accounts. Sounds like a ripe cadidate for Microsoft Small Business Server though...I imagine e-mail is getting important to them, you have the remote access portal through RWW and OWA for e-mail, centralized application and file storage, not to mention..peer to peer business networks past 6 or so PCs generally want to start considering a "server".

My experience with logmein/gotomypc has been pretty good although clients I've switched off it to straight rdp or rdp through a vpn have almost all said the rdp solution felt faster.

Personaly I would go the vpn route or the small business with remote access portal although I'm pretty sure he said in another thread that he was not interested in hosting email(which can always be disabled in sbs)

My experience with logmein/gotomypc has been pretty good although clients I've switched off it to straight rdp or rdp through a vpn have almost all said the rdp solution felt faster.

Personaly I would go the vpn route or the small business with remote access portal although I'm pretty sure he said in another thread that he was not interested in hosting email(which can always be disabled in sbs)

Agreed Remote Desktop is pretty much the smoothest. Just in keeping things on the simplity side....static or dynamic IP..in which case deal with a dynamic DNS service. And then setup VPN connections for the up to 10x remote users...and RD shortcuts. Can be time consuming and a pain in troubleshooting that with home users PCs in various states of health/adware infestations...and the occasional random weird router or software firewall a home user can have that makes setting up VPNs a pain. GoTo or LogMeIn is far easier to tell them to go setup on their own. I like keeping things simple for myself..minimal time on my end, set it and forget it.

Not using the new Adaptive Security Device Manager GUI. It has a lot of wizards to help you set up various things. I work for Cisco so I'm probably not a good example of how much time it takes, but I've been with customers who have never used the ASA or it's GUI and they've setup fully functional IPSec and SSL VPN's using the wizards in about 20 minutes. Someone who is familiar with the GUI can do it in under 10 minutes. Cisco has never been known for GUI's, but we really did it right with this one.

You can see some screenshots here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6121/index.html

There is a link to download the demo version of the GUI, but it requires a username and password. If you click on the link and register as a Guest though, I think you can then download the demo. Never tried it though.

Not using the new Adaptive Security Device Manager GUI. It has a lot of wizards to help you set up various things. I work for Cisco so I'm probably not a good example of how much time it takes, but I've been with customers who have never used the ASA or it's GUI and they've setup fully functional IPSec and SSL VPN's using the wizards in about 20 minutes. Someone who is familiar with the GUI can do it in under 10 minutes. Cisco has never been known for GUI's, but we really did it right with this one.

You can see some screenshots here:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6121/index.html

There is a link to download the demo version of the GUI, but it requires a username and password. If you click on the link and register as a Guest though, I think you can then download the demo. Never tried it though.
thxs for the info..
are these any more complicated than setting up a wireless home router? (not saying that routers are hard to configure ;) )

thxs for the info..
are these any more complicated than setting up a wireless home router? (not saying that routers are hard to configure ;) )

Yes, simply due to the vast amount of features you have available versus what is available on a home router.

Back