Firewall question.

ClariorHincHonos

[H]ard|Gawd
Greetings.

I'm looking to setup a better network for my home, and I've been trying to think of the best way to do it. Here are a couple options I came up with:

1. Use my DD-WRT flashed WRT54GL router for the firewall and wifi, creating two VLANs: one for production and one for the Cisco stuff I'd like to play with. I'd use a Server 03 box for DCHP and possibly as a domain controller.

2. Build a firewall from an mini itx system. I'd like this to be very small and quiet.

3. Just leave the DD-WRT in charge and use it for everything (FW, DHCP, etc).

My purpose for most of this is to build a network that I can learn on. Any suggestions or help is appreciated.

Do you have a wife, kids, roommantes, or anyone else who uses your network / internet connection?

If you do, definately segregate your test network from your 'production' network. Other household members probably don't want to be disturbed by your fiddling on your test network. That way, for example, if you want to tear down your Windows 2003 server to try out Windows 2008, you won't dirupt their surfing / game playing / etc...

From there, segregate how you see fit... What do you want to play with and learn? You mentioned Cisco, but what exactly? Switches, routers, security, VOIP, etc etc et?

VLAN's would be a fine start... :)

Well, it'll just be myself, but I'd like to keep the two separate so one works just in case I screw something up :D

As for the Cisco stuff, I just got a 2912XL switch and I'm looking at getting a 17XX (I think) router.

Basically I'd like to be some sort of a network guru in the future (once I finish school). But I'd like to get ahead of the game and teach myself as much as I can.

Back