Firewall for Windows

KuJaX

[H]F Junkie
I'm looking for non-bloated firewall (paid or free) software for Windows 7 or 8. Back in the day I used Zone Alarm but my understanding is that Windows 7 and forward it has become very bloated.

Items I liked:

If a new connection is made it blocks it until you select "Allow, Allow Always or Block" from a popup.

Also the ability to block all connections immediately, as well as Game Mode.

One feature I would be interested in is blocking all connections EXCEPT X so that you can block everything but a particular application or port.

Anyway, again, big item is something that isn't bloated, preferably free/opensource but I'm also willing to pay for the right product.

Suggestions? What do you like about your suggestion? What do you not like about your suggestion?

I'm looking for non-bloated firewall (paid or free) software for Windows 7 or 8. Back in the day I used Zone Alarm but my understanding is that Windows 7 and forward it has become very bloated.

Items I liked:

If a new connection is made it blocks it until you select "Allow, Allow Always or Block" from a popup.

Also the ability to block all connections immediately, as well as Game Mode.

One feature I would be interested in is blocking all connections EXCEPT X so that you can block everything but a particular application or port.

Anyway, again, big item is something that isn't bloated, preferably free/opensource but I'm also willing to pay for the right product.

Suggestions? What do you like about your suggestion? What do you not like about your suggestion?

Look no further:

Windows Firewall Control
www.binisoft.org

The best "firewall" I've ever used. I use quotes because it's essentially a framework or interface for Windows' native firewall. Does the job beautifully, filling in features where Windows lacks, like the popping of outbound alerts, with the ability to custom-set a rule for such.

• Ability to quickly and easily change between profiles, like the "Game Mode" you mention (it's called "High Filtering").
  • Ability to block how you mention (whitelist vs blacklist/high-filtering vs low/med-filtering)
  • Ability to Allow, Block, Block just this time, Temp-allow/Temp-block (for 1/5/60 minutes, or until restart)
  • Ability to "secure-boot", locking down *all* connections until the user "unlocks" it (to stop Windows services from setting their own rules and allowing their own connections)
  • Ability to stop all programs who dare to insert their own firewall rules (I hate when they try this without permission)
  • Ability to quickly and easily disable/enable rules without deleting them altogether
  • Fantastic "Rules" window for editing, display, sorting, and searching rules
  • Fantastic "Recent connections" window to see all inbound or outbound connections/attempts from the machine

Hands down, it's the lightest, non-bloated "firewall" you can get. And the developer has beast-mode:activated; very active and responsive on its forum thread.

Last edited:
Have you fully explored the advanced settings of the built-in Windows firewall? It'll do what your OP asks.

The Windows firewall is no better or worse than a 3rd party. The user experience difference is about all there is different.

The BiniSoft extension of the Windows Firewall seems to provide a good UX improvement without the need of a 3rd party firewall.

Back