Firefox's likes and dis-likes

Dominat0r

2[H]4U
I was wondering a few things...I have been really loving this Tab browsing and want to start using FF instead. What are you major likes and dislikes about FF over IE?

Tabbed Broswing OMFG LOVE IT
Google bar (I know, but its nice to have it there already)
Safety over IE
Pretty quick overall, seems faster loading pics
Did i say tab browsing?

Dislikes:

Fonts look different in Firefox, like MSN font is totally different, but its set to the same Font in options. Maybe its something dumb that im missing, so if you know, please chime in

When openning up pages, sometimes you get those little red X's like IE would show if it cant find the pic file. Little pet peeve, not to big of a deal

Not being able to move the Navigation bar around the top of the window. In IE you can drag and drop the toolbars all over the top, put them side by side, on top of each, etc etc.

Now some questions:

In IE my scroll wheel seems to work faster, I want to speed it up in FF but not in anything else like Windows. Is there a setting for this?

Where can i get my hands on some of those kewl extentions you guys been talking about?

Is there a way to stream movies off the internet straight into WMP? When I click on a movie, FF downloads it as opposed to streaming it.

Is there a way to make FF open links up in a new tab as opposed to a whole new window?

I really like both browsers. I just dont like the stupid little errors and problems that comes with IE. So let me know your likes and dislikes....NO BASHING here, just be honest and try not to flame out IE users =)

- Tabs

Dislikes:

- The built in search in the top right corner that I can't figure out how to make go away.
- Incompatible with some websites.

Firefox dislikes:
1. Pushing in my scroll wheel for simpler scrolling doesn't work.
2. Certain images don't load, even when I have the "from original source" unchecked. I'm not sure if it's because maybe the images are hotlinked. I dunno. They show on IE, but not Firefox.
3. The possibilities of ways to customize are overwhelming, like userChrome and the like.

2. Out-of-the-box it's very lacking, which lets me customize it with extensions and plug-ins so I can have what I want and have nothing that I don't.
3. The about: command feature. It lets me browse config, extensions, etc. Very nice.
4. Many more things.

Ultimately, Mozilla is constantly working on it, instead of IE going years without anything major. Unfortunately, there's this.

frank b said:
- Incompatible with some websites.
It isn't so much that, as poor webdesign. Firefox is much pickier with code, which is a double-edged sword. It makes it safer for us, but at the sacrifice of improper handling.

IE is like a slut when it comes to handling code. It lets everything in, especially scripts and the like. Websites should be coded better.

frank b said:
- The built in search in the top right corner that I can't figure out how to make go away.
customize, and drag out the search bar.

As for compatibility, Gecko is the best rendering engine out currently. It's a site design problem. On the upside, it looks like IE7 is moving towards better standards adherence.

• Not only the extensions, but the act of finding and downloading them. Looking for Firefox extensions is like going to an all-you-can-eat buffet that serves In-N-Out burgers and Rubios fish tacos (*drool*). I go through huge lists of extremely useful extensions and can choose as many as I want, and they're all free. It's like being a little kid in a candy store...with free candy! I can spend 3 hours straight just navigating through extensionsmirror.nl and never get bored. It's awesome.
  • EVERYTHING ELSE.
Dislikes:
  • Pushing down the middle mouse button on my MX700 doesn't do anything...I don't know how to fix it. It worked with my old Logitech mouse but not this one. Maybe there's an overlapping driver problem? Well at least I'm able to scroll.

Any FF expert want to tell me if its possible to have link open up in a new tab as opposed to a new window?

Highlife said:
Any FF expert want to tell me if its possible to have link open up in a new tab as opposed to a new window?

click on it w/ your scroll button or press ctrl when u click on it :D

ScreamingBroccoli said:
click on it w/ your scroll button or press ctrl when u click on it :D

thanks, anyway to do this automatically so i dont have to use control button. I use my scroll button as a double click.

Highlife said:
thanks, anyway to do this automatically so i dont have to use control button. I use my scroll button as a double click.

You can always use the Single Window Extension. It works for me 99% of the time, there are just some sites however that no matter what you do insist on a new window.

Highlife said:
Get the extension called Tabbrowser Preferences here.

mosin said:
Get the extension called Tabbrowser Preferences here.

I now rescind my previous comment about the single window... :p mosin's suggestion seems just a tad more robust!

Ive been using firefox for a while and I havnt had any problems, They only thing that happens is it sometimes doesnt load a whole image (It will load like half of it) but refreshing fixes the image

Tabs, and the "Create new window" hotbutton (Plus, the right click+Customize thing, I have it in a perfect order)

D/L window, now, if Im d/l like 6 things at once, I dont have 6 diffrente d/l things open, just one, which I can close anyways (As long as I dont close firefox)

Speed, IMO much faster then IE

Scrolling, Seems to scroll faster

Dislikes

Rare image half-loading

Dislikes: tabbed browsing (I do love tabkiller though)

I_Need_Money said:
* Pushing down the middle mouse button on my MX700 doesn't do anything...I don't know how to fix it. It worked with my old Logitech mouse but not this one. Maybe there's an overlapping driver problem? Well at least I'm able to scroll.

Install Tabbrowser Preferences, go to Tools -> Options -> Tabbed Browsing, and check off the middle-click options you want under Tab Focus.

p[H]ant0m said:
I now rescind my previous comment about the single window... :p mosin's suggestion seems just a tad more robust!

Actually, it's best to run TBP and Single Window simultaneously. At least, I do. I've also got MiniT+ to allow tab repositioning and the ability to scroll between them.

I had firefox for a while, for a long time it was working great. but I had to format and now everything is screwed up. When I got o my banks web site to check my account, it no longer works the same way it did, I enabled tabbed browsing, and I also allowed pop ups on that site, however the pop ups dont show correctly. when I click the link it keeps going back to the same page over and over. It use to work wonderfully before the format. not sure what I need to download to get it working agian, I think I need to go back to IE, FF use to open pop ups if the pop up was a direct link and keep out the unwanted ones. Now my banking website dont work if I disable pop up blocker and tab browsing!

Firefox Dislikes:

• Can't scroll in overflown divs with the wheel like IE and Opera, and can't auto-scroll in overlflown divs with middle-click like in IE. NM. There's a setting in the all-in-one gestures that fixes that. "Panning does not exit when mouse is inside the marker" (Under advanced preferences)
  • Printing is good, but not as good as IE.
  • Can't have a separate Go button for search box
  • Can't type g keywork to search from the address bar.
  • I like to put everything on the menu bar and turn off the navigation and personal bar. I make the icons small. However, putting the search box on the menu bar along with the other stuff I have, makes the address box on there too small. If the menus could go in the title bar, there'd be more room.
  • It takes too long to load up. Is there a quick launch service like Mozilla and K-Meleon?
  • The usemap attribute type for XHTML 1.0 and XHTML 1.1 changes depending on mime type. For XHTML 1.0 that's a spec violation. For XHTML 1.1 that's not technically a spec violation, but the mimetype shouldn't affect the usemap attribute type.
  • Can't middle-click on tab bar to open new tab. No suggested extension does the trick.
  • History Back() is too slow.
  • Can't get 'left-click on bookmark' to open in a new selected tab while 'middle-click on a link' opens new tab in the background while 'right click on link -> open in new tab' opens a new selected tab. The 'open link in..' extension helps with everything, but the bookmarks part.
  • No external source viewer option integrated
  • No mouse gestures integrated
  • 'The Get more extensions' link in the extensions window always opens a new firefox window instead of opening in a new selected tab in the current window. None of the tab browser extensions have fixed that for me. Links should only open a new Firefox window if I manually choose too. Extensions can force single window mode, but not 100%. The newest version of tabbrowser preferences seems to handle the extensions link better.
  • No Focus last selected tab integrated
  • No tab bar extender integrated
  • There are many good extensions not on the mozilla update site, but are hard to find. The way that the update site is setup makes finding extensions difficult. Search via google helps a little.
  • No external email client box integrated
  • UI reacts slowly compared to others
  • Extensions often break with newer version. (even if it's just a set version limit, it's still annoying
  • Extensions are great, but I want a 'neglected to integrate' extension that handles some of the stuff above that's not integrated. Conflicts with extensions seem to be few now, but I think it's just utterly annoying to install extensions because I need so many to get what I want. If I didn't have to restart to install the extensions, that would help a lot. The update feature often has problems updating.
  • With each extension, startup time increases
  • It's a pain to add your own buttons
  • I disagree with the way options are named in the preferences and many of the Tabbed Browsing extensions.
  • A big one for me is I can't minimize each tab inside a main window like Opera
  • Resuming for downloads only works if you pause the download.

Basically, Firefox is too plain by default for me and needed extensions are annoying to install.

Firefox Likes:

• Gecko. The rendering engine is just great.
  • Plugin handling is great
  • XHTML, MathML, Xforms, XSLT etc.
  • Gecko supports XHTML 1.1 image maps correctly (only when served as application/xhtml+xml though)
  • Midas - WYSIWYG - Rich text editing and copying
  • Rss feeds in bookmarks
  • Less people are blocking Firefox and not proplerly detecting and handling Firefox.
  • Adblock extension is great
  • Webmail compose extension is great
  • FLST extension does the trick
  • All in one gestures is great

There are more likes, but most have to do with the rendering engine. K-Meleon is more to my liking interface-wise.

Back