• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Firefox With Q6600

cu2cool

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 20, 2005
Messages
141
I was wondering why my computer is only utilizing one core for the firefox web browser? I am lagging from having two windows open with the same flash-based game. I do not have this problem when I am playing on another computer with a core 2 duo computer, but I do with my quad-core computer. I am using Vista 64-Bit. What gives?

CPU.jpg


http://lh6.ggpht.com/_7P8ccfmVDEE/Sl_7BKXe4ZI/AAAAAAAAAD8/QvButwDl-EA/s720/CPU.jpg
 
Last edited:
Go into task manager, go to processes tab, select firefox and then right click and check the affinity tab. All cores should be checked.
 
Why not post what game you're playing so other users can try testing. A Flash based game isn't a big load for a Q6600. It's not like all 4 cores are going to be pegged at 100% trying to keep up with this demanding task. The lag might have something to do with it being a crappy, poorly designed game or Firefox being less than perfect. Try the same test in Internet Explorer. If IE is smoother then maybe you need to use that for this application.
 
I thought firefox did not yet take advantage of multiple cores?
 
Firefox is single threaded. IE8 does use more than one thread I think but it's not fully optimised yet.
 
i think, IE8 each TAB is a separate process, so if you have more than 1 tab open it can run on multiple cores.. however, if you have only 1 tab, its only going to run on 1 CPU
 
i think you need to take some better pictures. but anyways firefox uses a full load but most of the time my screen is too big so i don't maximize it all the way. maybe that would help.

other than that reinstall firefox?
 
FFox is not multi-threaded.

Reinstalling won't help.

Don't worry about it, this is normal.
 
Thanks for all the replies. You guys are right. It may have to do with the fact the I used IE7 on the dual-core comp. and firefox on the quad-core. IE7 definately utilizes the dual-core from what I can see on task manager. The game I am trying to play is Restaurant City, a facebook application. I will try to run the game in IE7 when I get a chance on the quad-core and let you guys know the results.
 
In his example, Firefox doresn't need to be multi threaded. He has two separate instances of Firefox open. The operating system will automatically take each task and bounce it around from core to core far more frequently than you can imagine. Task Manager only gives you a crude approximation based on a one second sampling interval. Tasks move around a lot faster than that.
 
In his example, Firefox doresn't need to be multi threaded. He has two separate instances of Firefox open. The operating system will automatically take each task and bounce it around from core to core far more frequently than you can imagine. Task Manager only gives you a crude approximation based on a one second sampling interval. Tasks move around a lot faster than that.
Firefox does run multiple windows off the same process though.
 
Firefox + Flash sometimes has a bug where it will just peg a core of your proc. Just need to restart firefox every once in a while to resolve it. (I have seen this bug in IE too so it may not even be FF but just flash)
 
Might be an issue with 64-bit Flash. Try again with a 32-bit OS.

Flash as a whole isn't a very efficient framework, for whatever reason. Combine that with all the poorly designed flash apps out there, and it's no wonder they're such CPU hogs.
 
Might be an issue with 64-bit Flash. Try again with a 32-bit OS.

Flash as a whole isn't a very efficient framework, for whatever reason. Combine that with all the poorly designed flash apps out there, and it's no wonder they're such CPU hogs.

64-bit flash? Aside from the fact that 64-bit flash doesn't exist for windows yet, you would still use 32-bit flash if you were using a 32-bit browser.

Also, as has already been said, firefox will still run within a single process regardless of how many windows you have open. If there is some way to change this behavior I would love to know.
 
64-bit flash? Aside from the fact that 64-bit flash doesn't exist for windows yet, you would still use 32-bit flash if you were using a 32-bit browser.

You're right, no 64-bit flash for Windows yet. My mistake.

Also, as has already been said, firefox will still run within a single process regardless of how many windows you have open. If there is some way to change this behavior I would love to know.

Not so far as I know.
 
Firefox does run multiple windows off the same process though.

You're right. I assumed that opening a second instance of Firefox would open up a second process but I was wrong.

IE8 works properly and opens up a separate process each time you click on it.

ie8.png
 
Back
Top