Firefox - Where to backup bookmarks on Windows 7?

mtx

Gawd
Drive is dead, can't boot into it, where can I find the bookmarks folder? I looked under users and my username but could not find the folder...

Should be under your users folder. Look in %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile folder> and see if you can't find bookmarks.html or whatever the file is called.

I think it in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\0lgdyfdw.default

There is a folder in there called "bookmarkbackups", atleast I have it anyways. Hope this helps.

Search the system drive (or wherever Firefox is installed) for a file simply called bookmarks.html and that's it.

If you are using FF 3 or above rthe bookmarks are stored in places.sqlite, if you have a bookmarks.html file it most likely does not contain all of your bookmarks, but places.sqlite will.

Search the system drive (or wherever Firefox is installed) for a file simply called bookmarks.html and that's it.
Firefox uses an SQLite database for both history and bookmarks (has done since v3) - there probably won't be a "bookmarks.html" file unless you specifically created it by exporting from the bookmarks manager.

The good news is that it automatically creates several generations of bookmark backups - navigate to C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\[random string].default\bookmarkbackups, and find the most recent bookmarks-xxxx-xx-xx.json file. You can restore these to a new FF installation using Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks > Import & Backup > Restore > Choose File, browse to the old *.json file, then hit OK when you get the "Revert Bookmarks" dialog.

hell, just make a copy of the contents of the folder that has a name that looks similar to ifaku79z.default. When you do your reinstall and run firefox, it'll create a similar folder (but with a different name). Just overwrite the ocntents of that folder with the stuff you just copied. All your bookmarks, etc will come over, including any saved passwords, etc.

You can just search the drive for *.json (which is the Firefox internal bookmark format) Copy that, then use the bookmark manager (ctrl+shft+b) to Import and Backup->Restore->Choose file.

Or manually:

For XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\*Username*\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*randoncharacters*.default\bookmarkbackups

For Vista/7
C:\Users\*Username*\appdata\roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\profiles\*randomcharacters*.defaul\bookmarkbackups

Back