Firefox (v22 to present) memory leak detected - anyone else know what to do? A TRICK!

Well I'm glad that have plenty of RAM, although many people may not be so lucky...

I use vertical tree style tabs with multiple windows and do A LOT of research so it isn't uncommon to have 50-250 tabs open at once. At some points my memory use will be close to 8-10GB for FF alone while other browsers will only require 1.5-3GB for the same pages.

Is there something that can be done to make this less of a problem?

What I do is check the resources being used in task manager and there are add-ons for session managers and the ones that I have used are extremely cumbersome and have been more trouble than they have avoided using this following trick.

What I want to do is be able to close FF and re-open it with all the same windows and tabs. Once this is done, the memory leakage seems to be remedied for the time being, so the 10GB of use is back down to the appropriate 1.5-2.5 (depends upon sites loaded). When the app is reloaded all the page history for moving back & forward is still there (so if you have a tab with 15 pages in the forward button selection and 30 in the back button selection, those are still available - so it seems to retain everything).

TIP/Trick
What I found to be the easiest process to do this without some add-on that very often doesn't work (most worked less than 50% of the time) is to open task manager, go to processes tab, select firefox.exe and "end process". This ALWAYS terminates FF unless it is being hung-up by some outside app for some reason ATM. You can then immediately start FF back up and select the restore option and you are ready to go! The only thing you have to be VERY careful of here is when opening FF, make sure that you hit the RESTORE option or you will loose all those tabs you lost.

I do this end-process to free up ram and make FF run MUCH faster.

If you want to save these tabs and windows for after a reboot you can right click on a tab and select "bookmark all tabs", save to a directory, name the folder something like Window 1, Window 2, etc - then after reboot, just go to the folder and select "open all in tabs".

If you have a wide-screen monitor and are a heavy browser, i would highly suggest looking into the vertical tree style tab structure (I hated it when moving from the older "vertical tab" add-on, but now love it b/c it has a nested parent/child grouping for pages linked to sites - VERY nice for research!

My FF install seems to have that desired behavior, and (IIRC) it started when I first started using tab groups.

Alternatively, you could kill the FF process, restart FF, and then restore the previous session (menu bar >> History >> Restore Previous Session).

Edit: My current FF install is version 28.0

Last edited:
Mozilla specifically addressed memory consumption issues. Just because it's using a lot of ram doesn't mean it's a memory leak. A memory leak is when the application does not free a committed memory page even after the page is no longer needed. Firefox just caches a lot and uses a lot of memory.

The only persistent issue I've had with Firefox over the past year is sometimes it hangs when you close it. When you restart you get the "Firefox is already running" error.

But what's the point of having 8-16GB of memory if you just want it to sit empty? I believe there is a setting that you can disable memory caching and save to disk, if it's that big of a deal to you. Also, Firefox has some nifty tools in about:memory now.

Just because it's using a lot of ram doesn't mean it's a memory leak. A memory leak is when the application does not free a committed memory page even after the page is no longer needed. Firefox just caches a lot and uses a lot of memory.
(...)
But what's the point of having 8-16GB of memory if you just want it to sit empty?
Agreed. And with the latest version of FF, I would put more concern in poorly contrived Flash objects for runaway memory usage than with FF itself.

Back