Firefox slowness, answers?

Nexnecis

Limp Gawd
First of all, by slowness I mean the redrawing of pages Not initial loading. Try for instance, this page and scroll down. Chop, chop, chop... IE scrolls perfectly BTW (try it). I get this alot and it's the only reason I'm not sold on Firefox yet.

Am I F'ing something up? Does anyone have perfect scrolling smoothness on all pages? I am on a Nvidia 6800GT and this is the only other reason I can think of that may be causing this choppiness. Most every diver has been the same, so any ATI drivers working perfectly with Firefox?

Aye, that's the thing, I have no problem with initial loading of pages ( which is what the pipeling tweak would help with), but choppy scrolling with certain pages. Do you scroll smoothy on that page SS? If so, a little detail might help. ATI? Driver version? Etc.. I've had this problem for a bit and was wondering how anyone else could deal with it as IE scrolls smooth as heck.

I'm pretty much guessing I have a mis-configuration somewhere, just trying to find out WTF it is.

(Missed it, saw in your sigie that your ATI. Any NV guys with an opinion?)

If IE can scroll smoothly, but Firefox cant, why do you think its a driver problem?

Go to (In Firefox) Tools>Options>Advanced>Browsing and play with the smooth scrolling options. See which setup works best.

That website is, like many, not quite coded right for Firefox. Most pages are designed with IE in mind. I can scroll every page I go to very smoothly, except that one, and my computer is slow as shit. That leads me to assume the page is at fault. But, nonetheless, play with the settings I mentioned above. They affect the way a page is scrolled. If you aren't paying much attention you probably wont notice the difference, but if you are like me you will.

If all else fails and you still aren't quite happy; uninstall Firefox, delete the folder and reinstall it.

The site loads instantly for me. How fast is your service? How much ram do you have, and what is the speed of your machine? I have found that Firefox is a bit slower to load than IE on extremely slow machines running Win2000 and XP. You might try a fresh install, if you can't get it configured better than it is already.

CBR said:
If IE can scroll smoothly, but Firefox cant, why do you think its a driver problem?

Because, umm, one that can do it and the other can't?? Enlighten me oh holy one!

mosin said:
The site loads instantly for me. How fast is your service? How much ram do you have, and what is the speed of your machine? I have found that Firefox is a bit slower to load than IE on extremely slow machines running Win2000 and XP. You might try a fresh install, if you can't get it configured better than it is already.

That's the thing, I'm going off a completely CLEAN install. (Remember, it's not the load, but the scrolling).

A64/3000 6800gt 1Gig ddr400

Shockwave somehow??

(edit... It's just not THAT page, I've had many that acted like that. Guru3d forums, Gamespot, etc... Just seeing if I was in the minority..with specifics)

u know what dude..i got that problem too..i just realized it too and now it's bugging the shit outa me..thanx for making my browsing experience crappy :)

modat said:
u know what dude..i got that problem too..i just realized it too and now it's bugging the shit outa me..thanx for making my browsing experience crappy :)

DOH!!

(sorry :) )

nexncis:

as for web browsers, it's only a driver issue if you haven't installed the correct mobo chipset drivers and the correct graphics card drivers.

everything else is whether or not the website source wrote code that is W3C compliant. to a certain extent, you are correct that some websites work fine in IE and lag horribly in firefox (or safari, netscape, and most any other browser). the root of the issue with those sites is that they are using non standard coding practices that only IE can render correctly (my most recent example of this is "bungie.net").

real web designers/programmers and server/client application programmers (not the guys that wait for the next version of "frontpage" to add new features) are already aware of the non-standard coding that is allowed in IE.

the silver lining is that this problem is becoming fewer and fewer in example. if you want to do your part, then e-mail the webmaster/programmer of the problem site, and ask him/her to examine their site with other browsers so that they do not miss any opportunites with site visitors (this can really apply to sites that want to sell you something).

hope this helps.

PTNL said:
nexncis:

as for web browsers, it's only a driver issue if you haven't installed the correct mobo chipset drivers and the correct graphics card drivers.

everything else is whether or not the website source wrote code that is W3C compliant. to a certain extent, you are correct that some websites work fine in IE and lag horribly in firefox (or safari, netscape, and most any other browser). the root of the issue with those sites is that they are using non standard coding practices that only IE can render correctly (my most recent example of this is "bungie.net").

real web designers/programmers and server/client application programmers (not the guys that wait for the next version of "frontpage" to add new features) are already aware of the non-standard coding that is allowed in IE.

the silver lining is that this problem is becoming fewer and fewer in example. if you want to do your part, then e-mail the webmaster/programmer of the problem site, and ask him/her to examine their site with other browsers so that they do not miss any opportunites with site visitors (this can really apply to sites that want to sell you something).

hope this helps.

Totally 100% understood and appreciated!

Only thing I'm wondering is if I'm the only one getting these 'scrolling' issues with FF... Is it my performance issue by itself ( I mean come one, Gamespot performs like Sh.., someones gotta notice that).
It seems like PhPNuke - like web sites and the like now that I've been messing with it.
I just wanted to see if peeps have had no probs with this kinda thing (leading to a driver/vid card issue) or whatnot.

I could care less about the ATI/NV sh#t, I'm just curious if there's a common denominator.

i think it has something to do with the way Firefox handles images. Try disabling the loading of images and reload the page. now it scrolls smoothly.
by the way, i also trying viewing the page with opera 7.54 and it doesn't have this slow scrolling problem so I would guess that maybe it has nothing to do with the way the page is coded. the problem lies with FF in either the way it handles the cacheing of images or redrawing them.

It's not Firefox. I use Firefox, I load that page fine. I can scroll that page up and down fine at any speed. It's not Firefox.

Just tried out the webpage you are linking to. Yeah choppy as all get out.

Went into tools: Options: Advanced: browsing: turn on smooth scrolling.

Works like a champ now.

FF version 1.0

hmm... enabling smooth scrolling didn't help me.
the original poster said he did have an nvidia video card which i also do:
bfg nvidia 6800gt drivers: Vstudios Xtreme G based on version 71.20 ref. drivers

well, i'm all ears if someone has some suggestions.

some more info here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=86427&highlight=gif+256+color+colour+slow
accourding to the dicussion at that link it could be related to nvidia cards.

for the record, I use FF and the page that nex gave us way up at top of thread did same for me. I put on the smooth scrolling and everything is fine-.
for the record I am using a NV - Go5600

Been a long time since I found a page, www in general, that firefox couldn't handle.

Thanks guys, I checked the 'smooth scrolling' option and it did seem to help alot when I use the mouse wheel (99% of what I use anyways to scroll). Scroll bar still triggers it but I can live with that.

Big thanks to to darkpark too for that link, it seemed most likely to the bug we get, as most of the pages I get it on seeem to be loaded with small thumbnail links all over And the fact that responses here that don't have the issue are ATI users. Any way to check what color depth an image is on a page? I tried image properties and saving it to disk a looking in Paint, but I couldn't find where to check the color depth.

Thanks again guys, I think I can live now with the Smooth Scrolling option. FF all the way baby :)

Nexnecis said:
Thanks guys, I checked the 'smooth scrolling' option and it did seem to help alot when I use the mouse wheel (99% of what I use anyways to scroll). Scroll bar still triggers it but I can live with that.

Big thanks to to darkpark too for that link, it seemed most likely to the bug we get, as most of the pages I get it on seeem to be loaded with small thumbnail links all over And the fact that responses here that don't have the issue are ATI users. Any way to check what color depth an image is on a page? I tried image properties and saving it to disk a looking in Paint, but I couldn't find where to check the color depth.

Thanks again guys, I think I can live now with the Smooth Scrolling option. FF all the way baby :)

in general, GIFs are 8bit, BMP can range from 8bit to 24bit, jpegs are 24bit, PNG files can be either 8bit or 24bit. i think that's how it goes.
if you wish to check the bit depth of a picture file use something like acdsee or infraview after you've saved it locally.

i've noticed something similar with firefox... it's a little slower to load pages for me (i use v.1.0 + noia eXtreme theme + a few expansions that i can't remember) than ie is.

but i prefer it over ie... :rolleyes: :D

This is what I did and it helped "ONLY A LITTLE", but still worth it:

Tools -> Options -> Browsing -> DESELECT Resize large images to fit in the browser window

I dunno if this would help, but I use Firetune to optimize firefox for whatever computer I'm on. Seems to help with load times and just opening the browser.

Strange, but that page scrolls smoothly for about 2/3's the way. then choppy. Same thing when scrolling from the bottom of the page to the top.......... weird.....

Ive been running Deer Park Alpha v1.0+
and while a little buggy in spots
(its pegged the CPU on occassion and I even managed to get a BSOD last week somehow likely an interaction with another ap)

it aint slow

Deer Park Alpha 1 is an alpha release of our next generation Firefox browser and it is being made available for testing purposes only. Deer Park Alpha 1 is intended for web application developers and our testing community. Current users of Mozilla Firefox 1.0.x should not use Deer Park Alpha 1.

not all extentions will work with it however

I hope that will work out, with each new version of Firefox it gets slower and the last version will hang or just go unresponsive for my applications

Back