firefox, questions (ftp, source editor)

rudy

[H]F Junkie
Well ive been using firefox for a while now and at first I was really happy but as I did more I started to miss IE. I wonder if there is a way to change some of the ways firefox operates.

The first thing is FTP, I used to use wsftple, then I started using IE to ftp and was happy because it worked and i didnt need to waste time installing another program firefox seems to be a step backwards how can I get fire fox to be a more full featured ftp client I cant seem to upload files with firefox, I can only download.

Next is the source editor I like to be able to just goto a page im building on my computer and view source then edit it in IE but in firefox I get that old netscape viewer and am unable to edit the page.

I think that these things just can't be done without some kind of addon or external software. For the FTP, perhaps setting another software to handle the ftp protocol might do the trick. I don't see any options in Firefox, but if it tries to set itself as default for that, then when you start it it will probably pester you and you can just tell it no. I can find no options to control the source viewing thing. Perhaps you just need to use the full mozilla version? I don't know if it has more options in this area or not.

Might I recommend trying Opera? It has much of the best of Mozilla without any of the worst of IE. I've had no troubles with it's FTP handler, but it is easily set to not grab the ftp protocol and for viewing source it defaults to notepad.exe but is easily changed without a hassle. I know it's commercial software, but they have a completely free (not shareware, adware) version.

EDIT: Yeah, the person below me has the same basic idea, just a more thorough way to do it. (An external program would do the same thing, merely you'd be using it instead of IE.) I still say try Opera. It has a good built in FTP if you ask me.

For FTP: I agree completely, though I find that the IE/FTP is dog slow compared to WS_FTP

Anyway, open regedt32 and go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/ftp/shell/open/command and change the firefox line to:
C:\PROGRA~1\intern~1\iexplore.exe %1
After that, don't tell FF to be the default browser any more. Using IE for FTP is just easier.

For source: I miss that, too. However, it's not too hard (if this is on your comp) to just leave an editor window open. Anyway, there might be an extension for this, I haven't checked lately.

ok i am not familar with opera, but im willing to give it a try if it has something similar to the tabbed browsing firefox has, and built in popup stopping. does it have both of these? also does anyone know if the full mozilla changes any of this?

Opera has both those features, but the rendering engine is inferior to that used by Mozilla.

The Mozilla suite has the same properties as FF in this regard.

Hrm, the rendering engine seems fine to me, but, whatever. I couldn't tell much difference between it and firefox. Maybe there is something, just whatever it is, it can't be that important.

Yes, opera has built in support for tabbed browsing as well as popup blocking. The tabbed browsing you will see when you first set it up (set it to show windows inside the main window instead of seperate windows.) The popup blocking is in the options. There is also a handy little thing where you can hit the F12 key and it will let you change a few things like what browser it identifies as (if firefox/mozilla has this, I couldn't find it, this is TERRIBLY useful though since so many idiots insist on making websites use that proprietary code instead of standard) as well as some stuff like enabling popups. I find the "Block unwanted popups" option most useful btw. This allows some things to open a new window like those download scripts, but I've only seen ONE ad slip through it in all the time I've been using this. The normal blocking blocks all popups, but you have to reenable them on some websites to get to downloads.

Really, Opera is very nice, but the fact that it is commercial bugs a lot of people. People like having a browser that effectively sets the standards while being free all the while. Heck, I have firefox installed just in case I run into a website opera won't work in (hasn't happened in a while, but, on occasion it can. Usually fixed by setting Opera to identify as IE -- hence the reason it defaults to saying it is IE.)

Nazo said:
There is also a handy little thing where you can hit the F12 key and it will let you change a few things like what browser it identifies as (if firefox/mozilla has this, I couldn't find it, this is TERRIBLY useful though since so many idiots insist on making websites use that proprietary code instead of standard)
FF requires an extension.

As for the engine, the differences are fairly minor. It's vastly improved since I started using it at v5. However, from a web design standpoint, Gecko browsers (Mozilla and derivatives) are still the nicest to play with.

Back