Firefox Pre Release out (v1.0PR)

Automatic extension updater is teh wins! This is the first time I've upgraded and had mouse gestures work out of the box with my custom settings in place.

And may I just say that this new browser hauls serious ass. I was even using the optimized version from before and this is even faster. Kudos to the plugin finder and installer. Good stuff.

Cheers.

I just noticed a problem with this, but maybe its on the way I installed.

In the Downloads (Tools / Options / Downloads) it changed my preference from "Ask me where to save every file" to "Download to this folder" which I choose as Desktop. This is a problem for 2 reasons.
1. I downloaded a really small program and I didn't even see it pop up the download manager, so I clicked the link again, and again, and again..... When I minimized FireFox I realized it downloaded on its own.... about 8 copies! Thats how I found the problem.
2. I fear that programs I dont want (spyware) could get on my system unless I have it ask me before each and every download.

So just make sure it didn't change this setting before you go about viewing the web regularly.

EDIT: I didn't want to start another thread or make another post so....

What extentions do you guys use... I use AdBlock (you have to teach it) Dom Inspector, and Image Zoom, but get more and delete more all the time.

It is much faster, and it does use the existing extensions, etc. Be aware, however, that some of your extensions may not be compatible with the new release. Firefox will tell you so if they aren't, assuming you do a custom install. TB Lite and External Applications Buttons do not work...yet.
Those are the only two on my rig that don't work. Otherwise, it did a seamless overwrite. I took a chance because I usually do clean installs. This time, I avoided the hassle, and it worked. :)

EDIT: I found an updated External Applications Buttons, and discovered the new download system that Firefox uses. It is very slick.

I use Tabbrowser Extensions... that's about the only one these days. I'll have to play around with a few more.

About the above, keep in mind that all it's doing is saving a file to a location, it's NOT running said file. As such, until that file is run, there cannot be any spyware installed on the system through that method (at least, for the moment). Firefox handles that installation of extensions to the browser in an entirely different method than IE. Notice that when something that is going to change the browser (i.e. an extension) is supposed to d/l, it pops up it's own windows giving a 3 sec delay to make sure that you know where it's coming from, and then you have to press a button. Don't like it after that? Uninstall it. With SP2, IE does it the same way.

In short, at least what you are talking about above, things shouldn't auto-installl ANYTHING unless all safety's have been disabled.

Cheers.

can we please say goodbye to Internet Explorer?! i wish all my programs worked and looked as slick as mozilla products, and i'm buying that shirt too. :D

Qwertyman said:
yea but its still related to microsoft.
I fixed the post with a link and a proper spelling. You are right, however. They are third cousins. :D

I used the IE view plugin (right click menu button to open page in IE) with the previous few versions, but it doesn't seem to want to work with this one. It says it is compatible on the plugins page, but it will not install, curses!

Thats the only thing thats not working for me at the moment, aside from that this looks like a very nice, stable release. It really is a great browser, I evangelise to people all the time that they should switch over from IE :)

[H]arls said:
I used the IE view plugin (right click menu button to open page in IE) with the previous few versions, but it doesn't seem to want to work with this one. It says it is compatible on the plugins page, but it will not install, curses!
There's a .82 release that the updater will grab that does work, but .81 is the newest I see on the web (and it doesn't work).

That said, I have IE view working correctly through the extensions manager.

I found this the other night and was going to post it, but thought it had been posted already and eventually forgot about it. :rolleyes:

I downloaded it but have yet to install it. I'm not sure if I want to wait for the official release instead of the Pre-Release. Since I have it though, I might as well try it.

As for extensions, I use Tab Browser Preferences, Tab X, Nuke Anything, Tab Scroller(for the really lazy moments), The Things They Left Out, Google Toolbar, DOM Inspector, and Download With. I think a few others as well, but I've recently done a fresh install and have forgotten some of them.

I didn't have good luck on my extensions like you guys did. It killed:

all-in-one gestures
configuration mania
tabbrowser preferences

I am very unhappy with it so far because none of my old extension have an updated version that is compatible...

I was unlucky as well. Only two of my previously posted extensions work with this new build. That would be one of the main reasons that I did not want to switch. This new build has some fun toys to play with until the extensions are updated, and I'm easily amused. I'm liking the new search bar features, with all the different search options. I filled that sucker up with all the search engines I use regularly, and its almost reaching down to my task bar. :D

I just compiled it, and now am heading back to Firefox 0.9.3. The new one introduces some weird bugs (can't use my left or right arrow for one) so I'm just gonna wait for the bugs to get worked out.

Well its a "WFM" (works for me).

I only use TBE - Tabbrowser Extensions (which for some unknown reason, isn't even listed on update.mozilla.org). This wipes the floor on any of the other tab extensions, seriously. Its stayed essentially the same since its conception (0.6 or 0.7 Firefox). And yes, it wasn't even updated and it works JUST FINE in 1.0PR.

Back