Firefox Memory Optimizer

Scotty_SFF

Gawd
This thing is...

Utterly AMAZING.

Six tabs open usually abour 65MB of memory used. with his program running in the background (using around 900k).

My firefox memory usage has droppep

ALOT

I read 1MB!!

Thats one hell of a reduction.

Download
Checked it with AVG and had no problems so far.

You can type in a simple config parameter to make Firefox use almost no RAM when it's minimized - it's the config.trim_on_minimize setting, and you make it "true" and restart Firefox.

There's no need to run any software (especially something on a RapidShare link with no website information to go with it - that's just asking for trouble).

Open Firefox, type:

about:config

Right click in the lower area of the window with all the settings and choose New - Boolean value. Name it:

config.trim_on_minimize

and set it for "true"

Restart Firefox. Now when Firefox is minimized it will give up the excessive RAM it usually sucks down - but when you restore it and use it, the RAM will gradually go right back up.

Keep safe, people... there's no need to run unknown software to do this simple change in Firefox's configuration without issues.

Open Firefox, type:

Right click in the lower area of the window with all the settings and choose New - Boolean value. Name it:

config.trim_on_minimize

and set it for "true"

Pretty slick... thanks.

Open Firefox, type:

config.trim_on_minimize

and set it for "true"

Restart Firefox. Now when Firefox is minimized it will give up the excessive RAM it usually sucks down - but when you restore it and use it, the RAM will gradually go right back up.

Works Excellent!!

meh, unused ram is wasted ram.

There's a difference between actually used RAM and excessive RAM consumption caused by inefficiently coded software. When Firefox simply wastes RAM as it slowly has that "RAM-creep" then it's inefficient: it's using RAM that shouldn't be used and taking it away from other apps that may need it or would function better if they had access to it.

The config.trim_on_minimize setting forces Firefox to give up all that wasted RAM - and yes it's wasted because there's nothing actually using it when that "RAM-creep" happens; it's not part of the RAM cache that Firefox has, it's just completely inefficient coding that causes it.

You'd think after all these years those Firefox coders would have learned something about memory management by now. And you'd be wrong,..

What browser has a better coding scheme then, Ghost? Maxthon? Opera? I'm morbidly curious if a better alternative exists because I could assume most of us share in the thought that a more efficient system is a better system.

Back